IGNORED

Suggestion - Expanding Section 82

OliOTIB

Just a quick one. Last season you can tell that Section 82 was clearly the loudest in the ground. No singing elsewhere even when the away fans encourage it, except for the painful ‘come on you reds’ or clap clap ‘city’. We need to expand the section to make it a proper home end again, like the old east end. AG was once a feared place, now just an easy point for the opposition. 

I believe this would also slow down the hooliganism from S82 (ie throwing flares and bottles at corner takers) and really encourage other fans in other parts of the ground to sing. I appreciate 70 year olds might not want to be deathened by the fact the Bartons mother is a wh**e but we need to bring back the hostile atmosphere that we once had.

Edited by OliOTIB
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

Just a quick one. Last season you can tell that Section 82 was clearly the loudest in the ground. No singing elsewhere even when the away fans encourage it, except for the painful ‘come on you reds’ or clap clap ‘city’. We need to expand the section to make it a proper home end again, like the old east end. AG was once a feared place, now just an easy point for the opposition. 

I believe this would also slow down the hooliganism from S82 and really encourage other fans in other parts of the ground to sing. I appreciate 70 year olds might not want to be deathened by the fact the Bartons mother is a wh**e but we need to bring back the hostile atmosphere that we once had.

I agree with you about section 82 needing to be expanded but honestly it will never happen the club have no interest in creating an atmosphere. The number 1 priority is attracting the middle class family .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Section 82 is a group of supporters, as cringy as it is you mean expand the "singing section".

It's regularly busy in the singing section with people trying to get in that don't have tickets to try and enjoy the atmosphere so expanding it a block across the south stand seems like a good idea - that block already stands a lot of the time anyway.

You say about the hooligans but but a few instances of individuals throwing something isn't exactly and endemic hooliganism problem - they've been banned hopefully that's the end of it.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I hope when rules allow Bristol Sport/Bears deliver on their promise that was made when Bristol Rugby announced the move, namely that the bottom of the Dolman would be safe standing.  

Unfortunately when people are throwing bottles , flares etc

Theres no chance

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

You are wrong to suggest no singing elsewhere, 

Where i sit for example you can't hear section 82 but you can hear the Dolman,

Fans will react to what's going on, on the pitch when it's crap there the atmosphere tends to be crap, nothing will change that,

Likewise when it's good city are giving everything most of the ground is bouncing

This. 

There's plenty of singing from the Dolman end blocks. (Blocks A & B in old money) 

Agreed, it's not as continuous as in the singing section - but then the Dolman tend to be able to watch a game of football without throwing bottles at the opposition. 

A singing section doesn't need to be expanded to increase the atmosphere. The atmosphere is usually pretty good, when the game/performance encourages it. 

It's the silly notion that the singing section is the only place that people can go in and sing that holds the atmosphere back that's half the problem. 

People who want to sing, will sing wherever they are. 

Plenty want to watch the games instead of spend the whole time singing. 

I don't think I'm alone in, whilst thinking that S82 generally do a good job, also cringe with embarrassment at what comes from there and some of the behaviour.

• Like 9

Would love the whole (or even the back half) of the south stand to be standing. That would improve the atmosphere immensely 

Sadly never going to happen as quieter, more passive crowds seem to be the preference ?

There's a thread about crap 90s football on otib at the moment. I reckon we didn't realise how crap the football was, because the crowds were more involved, and so the matchday experience was so much better 

Anyway, that's enough of a middle-aged Monday morning rant!

Edited by Bernard Lerring
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Section 82 is a group of supporters, as cringy as it is you mean expand the "singing section".

I've had this explained to me before, but I think you're now fighting a losing battle on that one. 

Section 82 has come to mean that corner of the ground in general now for at least 50% of the fans at a guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Theres no chance

I am afraid this is the issue. It might seem isolated incidents to some, but it looks like reward for that behaviour if the club look to expand the area. You have to remember that rail seating is in its infancy and will be monitored very closely by all those with a say in it.

If people want it expanded, they need to keep the excitement to legal outlets.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Need to make the whole south stand safe standing. You can still sit and watch the game fine (I have done when we’ve been crap and I’m short) and it would hopefully make it more of a “singing stand” like the east end was.

Bottles/flares going on the pitch aren’t the massive issue people think they are in terms of repercussions. Still waiting for the points deduction for a plastic bottle landing just past the touchline that many felt we had coming.

11 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

I believe this would also slow down the hooliganism from S82 and really encourage other fans in other parts of the ground to sing. I appreciate 70 year olds might not want to be deathened by the fact the Bartons mother is a wh**e but we need to bring back the hostile atmosphere that we once had.

how exactly?

54 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I've had this explained to me before, but I think you're now fighting a losing battle on that one. 

Section 82 has come to mean that corner of the ground in general now for at least 50% of the fans at a guess. 

Yeah probably, I can imagine it makes conversations with the club difficult though, if the prevailing thought is that section 82 are throwing things or causing problems and then some people actually from section 82 approach the club to do a display or something they are going to find it a lot harder to convince them.

We could just call it the east end as it is the east end of the south stand but that seems far too obvious.

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Was it?

Is it?

Yes and yes 

a few examples of other fans views on us before the east end went .

Not a fan of the fighting but know we are known as a more southern version of reading with a soulless atmosphere in a ground which you wouldn’t know which team played there , barely anything affiliated with city ( for example the word city taken off the dolman and the other new stands plain .

A0C3FD82-2481-4D30-91AC-A91113C856F4.jpeg

440F8AA7-058D-4B9A-B3F0-E25FFEF26E65.jpeg

CEFE396E-0EF9-4A90-9E7C-53E7F1420CCB.jpeg

Edited by Wiltshire robin

4 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I agree with you about section 82 needing to be expanded but honestly it will never happen the club have no interest in creating an atmosphere. The number 1 priority is attracting the middle class family .

Very true. The main focus for Gould right now is the kids, hence the training ground visits free shirts etc. Costs dont help though, the average male cant afford to fork out £40 every saturday to potd.

1 minute ago, OliOTIB said:

Very true. The main focus for Gould right now is the kids, hence the training ground visits free shirts etc. Costs dont help though, the average male cant afford to fork out £40 every saturday to potd.

So true I live in Wiltshire and have plenty of mates who wouldn’t mind coming to watch city with me but when it’s nearly £40 a ticket they’d rather just spend a little more going to watch arsenal or go to the pub and watch the prem .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

So true I live in Wiltshire and have plenty of mates who wouldn’t mind coming to watch city with me but when it’s nearly £40 a ticket they’d rather just spend a little more going to watch arsenal or go to the pub and watch the prem .

I like my dad coming with me every now and then. I sit in the singing corner and its hard enough to get a ticket near me, or in fact be able to afford to sit in the lansdown, when its gunna cost me about £70 which is just ridiculous. 

I appreciate the reason for this is the high losses but during the current cost of living crisis not everyone can afford this, hence the empty seats on a saturday, and the full south stand, with only 50% of the lansdown full.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Theres no chance

It happens up and down the country though, it won’t have any impact on expanding the singing section. Costs, logistics etc will have much more of a say than a plastic bottle thrown over a year ago, but anything to bemoan that section of the ground right?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

The egg buggers pull that lot in

And the lansdown stand 

I had to go in there for a game before and it was honestly the worst footballing experience going, city score and everyone slowly stands up and gives it a modest clap for 5 seconds .

Edited by Wiltshire robin