IGNORED

Cundy Signs For Barnsley

Davefevs

For me he looked head and shoulders above Atkinson in terms of actual defending and defensive positioning. I am not entirely sure wd have done the right thing here, I think we paid a load for Atkinson when we had potentially a better player already at the club. Atkinson for me is full of howlers and turns like a oil tanker. If I were starting one of the 2 it would be cundy from what I have seen. That said Atkinson is young and has scope to improve. 

I feel it could be the case of the one that got away. 

Anyway, good luck to him wherever he ends up, our defensive improvement certainly coincided with Cundy appearing in the team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Hmmm 2

This is one of those that's probably got a 1% chance of biting us in the backside.

If Barnsley can offer him a better contact than us then they must feel they can get more out of him than we can after we've had a close look at him for a few years.

Good luck to him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Nothing against Cundy at all and would have been happy to see him sign, but I think Idehen looks a better prospect from the little game time he has had as well.

I think Idehen makes for the better understudy, better age and potential, for Cundy that's where he would of ended up here as understudy with the new signings and at 25 he's really going to want to be the one trying to hold down a first team place.  Might bite us later in the season as Idehen is a little green though at present.

• Like 1

I’ve got a feeling this one will bite us on the arse. He developed nicely in the second half of last season and it’s no coincidence we looked a lot more solid with him alongside Klose and Atkinson. 

Good luck to him but I’d rather it was Vyner or Moore who went to Barnsley than Cundy. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He was out of contract. We offered him a new one. What more could we have done?

I am not disputing that, it was more the fact that I believe (and judging by some responses I am in a minority :))  if given a chance earlier, rather than bringing in others  over and above him, it could have transpired we had gem instead of buying other teams gems who have not been tested at this level.  The contract signing  may then have been a moot point.

Anyway good luck to him

1 hour ago, TRL said:

For me he looked head and shoulders above Atkinson in terms of actual defending and defensive positioning. I am not entirely sure wd have done the right thing here, I think we paid a load for Atkinson when we had potentially a better player already at the club. Atkinson for me is full of howlers and turns like a oil tanker. If I were starting one of the 2 it would be cundy from what I have seen. That said Atkinson is young and has scope to improve. 

Anyway, good luck to him wherever he ends up, our defensive improvement certainly coincided with Cundy appearing in the team.

Sorry but I think this might be a genuine moment of mistaken identity, because the player you have just described is nothing like the Atkinson most of us have been watching certainly in the last third of the season.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, tin said:

I’ve got a feeling this one will bite us on the arse. He developed nicely in the second half of last season and it’s no coincidence we looked a lot more solid with him alongside Klose and Atkinson. 

Good luck to him but I’d rather it was Vyner or Moore who went to Barnsley than Cundy. 

Barnsley aren't that daft. 

56 minutes ago, tin said:

I don't think it's coincidence we looked more solid at the end of the season but also don't think it was because of Cundy over Kalas

Just think it was a combination of having 'the spine' of the team fully fit and playing consistently together, as NP alluded to in his interview earlier it also felt like we maybe 'found the formula'. I think you take out Cundy and add in Kalas at the end of last season I think we would have been even more solid and a better side

Certainly nothing against Cundy, did a decent job and can see why we offered a deal, can also see why he's chosen to gone elsewhere. 

Wish him well and certainly has potential to bite us as whilst he isn't 'young' he's still relatively new to senior first team football so has scope to improve. Feel that right now League 1 is his level though

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I don't think it's coincidence we looked more solid at the end of the season but also don't think it was because of Cundy over Kalas

Just think it was a combination of having 'the spine' of the team fully fit and playing consistently together, as NP alluded to in his interview earlier it also felt like we maybe 'found the formula'. I think you take out Cundy and add in Kalas at the end of last season I think we would have been even more solid and a better side

Certainly nothing against Cundy, did a decent job and can see why we offered a deal, can also see why he's chosen to gone elsewhere. 

Wish him well and certainly has potential to bite us as whilst he isn't 'young' he's still relatively new to senior first team football so has scope to improve. Feel that right now League 1 is his level though

Agree, correlation not causation! ?

Good summary ??????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRL said:

All about opinions of course, but in the last 2 month of the season, Atkinson for me came on leaps and bounds.

He looked fitter, and stronger; and more adjusted to the demands of the Championship. I think it helped him having a vocal experienced CB in Klose playing alongside him.

Cundy always gave 100%, but he was at times caught out positionally, and for pace. He looked leggy, and although in true HNM fashion he had "Potential", I don't see him progressing much with us in the medium to long term (hence the speculated 1 year contract offer).

Good luck to him at Barnsley. If he's got a 3 year deal out of them, then fair play. I think L1 will probably suit him at this stage of his career. Better to be negotiating coming off 14 games in the Championship (A lot of them starting), then being let go from a Championship club with only a couple of appearances.

The summer of 2023 will be a big period of change in the club with so many players being OOC. NP, and others obviously saw him as more of a stop gap defender until that time (hence the deal offered).

Barnsley will of course be one of the contenders in L1 this season, so maybe he will get the opportunities to develop his game further with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

All about opinions of course, but in the last 2 month of the season, Atkinson for me came on leaps and bounds.

He looked fitter, and stronger; and more adjusted to the demands of the Championship. I think it helped him having a vocal experienced CB in Klose playing alongside him.

Cundy always gave 100%, but he was at times caught out positionally, and for pace. He looked leggy, and although in true HNM fashion he had "Potential", I don't see him progressing much with us in the medium to long term (hence the speculated 1 year contract offer).

Good luck to him at Barnsley. If he's got a 3 year deal out of them, then fair play. I think L1 will probably suit him at this stage of his career. Better to be negotiating coming off 14 games in the Championship (A lot of them starting), then being let go from a Championship club with only a couple of appearances.

The summer of 2023 will be a big period of change in the club with so many players being OOC. NP, and others obviously saw him as more of a stop gap defender until that time (hence the deal offered).

Barnsley will of course be one of the contenders in L1 this season, so maybe he will get the opportunities to develop his game further with them.

Didn`t Rob Atkinson have Covid mid-season too? Anyway, good luck to Robbie. He got his chance and, unlike some, grabbed it and hopefully will have a decent career as a result.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Didn`t Rob Atkinson have Covid mid-season too? Anyway, good luck to Robbie. He got his chance and, unlike some, grabbed it and hopefully will have a decent career as a result.

Yes, thought he started the season well, then had his dip through illness and injury (back / calf) which seemed to affect his confidence, but came back strong as @NcnsBcfc says.

• Like 1

I liked him. We were infinitely better at crosses with him Atkinson and Klose playing. But the boy has a three year deal and less competition to start. Pearson said his fitness was an issue, which it was. I suspect it won’t be the last we here of him!

• The title was changed to Cundy Signs For Barnsley

Can only echo what's been said, have to give him credit for wanting to go and play regularly and being willing to drop down a level to do so, and whilst the club obviously wanted to keep him, I think they will fully understand and respect his decision.

He's got himself the security of a 3 year deal and a real chance to kick on and establish himself at a good club at that level, with the aim of getting back up the pyramid one way or another.

Good luck to him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Sorry but I think this might be a genuine moment of mistaken identity, because the player you have just described is nothing like the Atkinson most of us have been watching certainly in the last third of the season.

He was on about Ron Atkinson!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Can only echo what's been said, have to give him credit for wanting to go and play regularly and being willing to drop down a level to do so, and whilst the club obviously wanted to keep him, I think they will fully understand and respect his decision.

He's got himself the security of a 3 year deal and a real chance to kick on and establish himself at a good club at that level, with the aim of getting back up the pyramid one way or another.

Good luck to him.

Has he actually signed for them yet ? Nothing in their website or twitter 

Bit of a relief really, imo. 

The times I've seen him play, he always looks like the weak link in our team and distracts others players into having to try & cover him. 

I was sure he'd sign another contract and fail to get enough game time to improve - so I think this is best all round. 

More game time for him, at what's probably his level & we have other options now that are better than him. 

• Like 1