IGNORED

Cundy Signs For Barnsley

Davefevs

I think Cundy is a good low cost option, so  he should stay. If Pearson plays a back four he’ll need a minimum of 4 central defenders to allow for injury, loss of form and suspension. That could be Kallas, Atkinson, Klose and Cundy. I’ve not included Pring as he needs to cover left back / wing back. Should Pearson sign a new central defender in the summer he’ll still need Cundy in case he plays a back 3. To play this formation you need 5 defenders, again to allow for injury, loss of form, suspension. Although City has conceded a lot of goals this season the fault is not just due to the defence. The midfield has been weak and overrun in most matches meaning there is no respite from the opposition’s’ attacks. Most Championship defences would struggle playing behind City’s midfield 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think Kalas will be off.

On finances, just into his last year I believe and being on £27k PW, possibly. Would he get that much anywhere else is the question . If we get offered a good amount to sell, hard to turn down. If he was willing to sign a new 3 year deal at reduced rates , then that changes.

All that could impact on the original question.

Personally, I've been impressed. I'd say Kalas, Klose, Cundy & Atkinson is a decent start to building a team. A back 4, if we go that way, of Kalas (RB) Klose Atkinson/Cundy Pring is a big strong robust back 4.

Cundy showed today also he could tackle, not just be good aerially  and did a few really good interceptions - I was impressed with his mobility - plus a tackle in the box that was just so clean . 

also - and this probably  seals why he should get a contract - he has his own chant now which I heard for the first time today. Given how many players have been here years and don’t still … then surely that’s a sign ?! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For a guy playing his formative games for City and at this level, he’s done pretty decently.

Big question for me is can we see him in the remaining 6 games playing in a back 4.  If that’s what we are going to use next season, let’s give him a chance to show what he can do there.

If that means Kalas playing RB, or Klose missing out, so be it.

A lot will depend on recruitment plans, but as it stands we need to go with what we have.

Wise words as always Dave.

I have a bag of cockles please 

COYR

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For a guy playing his formative games for City and at this level, he’s done pretty decently.

Big question for me is can we see him in the remaining 6 games playing in a back 4.  If that’s what we are going to use next season, let’s give him a chance to show what he can do there.

If that means Kalas playing RB, or Klose missing out, so be it.

A lot will depend on recruitment plans, but as it stands we need to go with what we have.

Kids doing well with the shit in the squad hes one of our main hopes hope pearson sees this .

On what I’ve seen so far, Cundy’s worth a new two-year deal with the option of a third. He’s got the attributes, desire and crucially the right attitude to succeed at this level, and should develop further with more experience. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chinapig said:

Nigel has said more than once that he is a good defender. I'm not sure though if there is a but ... being implied. I don't think he has made up his mind yet.

I wonder if the “but” is simply the fact we already have Kalas, Vyner, Moore, Atkinson and Baker under contract plus Pring who can play centre back and Towler who could be called on in an emergency.

We may not think Vyner and Moore are good enough and there may be rumours that Baker is about to call time on his career but the fact remains as it stand that they are all on the books. It may be that Pearson needs confidence on at least one or two players moving on before we can offer anything to Cundy or Klose for next season.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I wonder if the “but” is simply the fact we already have Kalas, Vyner, Moore, Atkinson and Baker under contract plus Pring who can play centre back and Towler who could be called on in an emergency.

We may not think Vyner and Moore are good enough and there may be rumours that Baker is about to call time on his career but the fact remains as it stand that they are all on the books. It may be that Pearson needs confidence on at least one or two players moving on before we can offer anything to Cundy or Klose for next season.

Agree, all I’d add is despite nothing being made public for obvious reasons, I expect the club has a pretty good idea by now what the score is with Baker & Klose was effectively brought in as his replacement, whether that was for the short term or permanently will become clear in the summer.

We do have a lot of central defenders on our books & sorting out the futures of all of them bar Atkinson will certainly be a big part of the summer’s business.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree, all I’d add is despite nothing being made public for obvious reasons, I expect the club has a pretty good idea by now what the score is with Baker & Klose was effectively brought in as his replacement, whether that was for the short term or permanently will become clear in the summer.

We do have a lot of central defenders on our books & sorting out the futures of all of them bar Atkinson will certainly be a big part of the summer’s business.

What would be Cundy's wage expectations? 

Absolute no brainer. 3/4  year deal. He will get a number of offers from league 1   We may struggle to  keep him if he doesn't think he'll play...

17 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Absolute no brainer. 3/4  year deal. He will get a number of offers from league 1   We may struggle to  keep him if he doesn't think he'll play...

The one note of caution I'd sound is that we're in the situation where we're overstocked with defenders who aren't good enough because 18 months ago Vyner and Moore started the season brilliantly, we were top of the table and six games in it seemed an "absolute no brainer" to offer them both 3/4 year deals, a decision which - whilst few would admit it now - was supported by an overwhelming majority of our supporters at the time.  

Cundy has looked good but he's not the first central defender to come into the team and look good in recent seasons. Continued good form is far from guaranteed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I’d certainly not offer him any more than 2 years, he has started 4 Championship games in his career & has had a few injuries.

Guess £5k a week?

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The one note of caution I'd sound is that we're in the situation where we're overstocked with defenders who aren't good enough because 18 months ago Vyner and Moore started the season brilliantly, we were top of the table and six games in it seemed an "absolute no brainer" to offer them both 3/4 year deals, a decision which - whilst few would admit it now - was supported by an overwhelming majority of our supporters at the time.  

Cundy has looked good but he's not the first central defender to come into the team and look good in recent seasons. Continued good form is far from guaranteed. 

Good post but I would say that Cundy has come into a side struggling defensively so, unlike the situation your describe, he is actually being stressed tested now.  Dealing with Solanke etc is going to give him more confidence long term and a clear indication of what is needed to be a good CB at this level.  That in itself makes it an absolute no brainer to get him a deal.  Retaining players like him as nominally our 4th choice CB is very good business.  We need to look at our 1st choice one IMO.  Great defender but offers nothing in the way of leadership or control in games.  We need to fix that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Cundy looks ok . But is he top 10 ok ? I have no idea . We seem to jump on players as “ looking good “ then kill the managers when they are found wanting over an extended period . Is Cundy a play off level CB ? I don’t think any of the fans really know yet . 

Possibly - in a play off level team.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

How is that going to compare to a reasonably competitive league 1 side who will probably say to him you'll be our starting CB?

Depends who he went to.  My guess is that for several sides £3k would be a good wage.  But if it was Ipswich or the like, it would be low.

48 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

I've been told Cundy has been told he can leave the club in the summer, just by someone I was chatting too on social media so how reliable they are not to sure, this was before he'd started games so be strange if that was the case as I feel he has done great since he's been in the side.

The modern day equivalent of a ‘ bloke down the pub’

Edited by Major Isewater

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

I've been told Cundy has been told he can leave the club in the summer, just by someone I was chatting too on social media so how reliable they are not to sure, this was before he'd started games so be strange if that was the case as I feel he has done great since he's been in the side.

In fairness to poster, I understand that he was told he could leave in January but the situation has changed massively since he’s got into the side.  Would we really be playing him if he had no future as what would point be.  Cundy has done a Dasilva in terms of changing perception. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

Amazing.

I've been told that he's been offered a contract.

That's by someone who is normally reliable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The modern day equivalent of a ‘ bloke down the pub’

Of course I get that hence why when I was told I could've posted on here but I did not because I was not sure how reliable that guy was ( it was'nt in january I was told either was quiet recent ) i hope he is wrong and cundy does get an extended stay.

• Like 1