IGNORED

Cundy Signs For Barnsley

Davefevs

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Good post but I would say that Cundy has come into a side struggling defensively so, unlike the situation your describe, he is actually being stressed tested now.  Dealing with Solanke etc is going to give him more confidence long term and a clear indication of what is needed to be a good CB at this level.  That in itself makes it an absolute no brainer to get him a deal.  Retaining players like him as nominally our 4th choice CB is very good business.  We need to look at our 1st choice one IMO.  Great defender but offers nothing in the way of leadership or control in games.  We need to fix that. 

I definitely think we should offer him a contract - even if I think the number of central defenders already may complicate things. I'm just not sure I'd be rushing to a three or four year deal. I'd go for a one year deal with a club option for an extension and think that flexibility would suit both sides. In a year's time we can cut our losses if Cundy does not sustain his form or keep him on for a year if he does. If he forces himself into regular first team contention, it will be in both his interest and ours to sign a longer contract on a higher wage but I'd not do that until he's established himself a bit more. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

On 04/04/2022 at 10:43, Mattredrobin said:

haha god knows then just wait and see could be a case of he was told he was'nt being offered one, but has proven Pearson wrong and now will be 

I think this is possibly true, and if it is why would he then want to sign for NP?

On 04/04/2022 at 10:18, The Bard said:

Amazing.

I've been told that he's been offered a contract.

That's by someone who is normally reliable.

I guess this is a case of when was he offered a contract, because he was told he could leave earlier in the season.

All the signs from NP seem to me to say he wants proven experience in the first instance, Simpson, King, James all fit that bill.

The resigning of Baker and Weimann says the same.

Atkinson and Tanner were both ‘ones for the future’ when signed.

Cundy is less experienced than both of those two, NP wants consistency of performance, that doesn’t always come from inexperienced players.

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Except N.O.N.C_ means "paedophile", not "homosexual".  (You can't write the word on this forum)

Look I’m sorry to have caused such a ruckus, I was just having a bit of fun, and not knowing the meaning of the word contained in the typo, looks like the jokes on me?

I always enjoy the majors take on things….

I do have to laugh with press comments for the likes of Cundy and Atkinson regarding impressive performances. Weve let in 70+ goals, averaging basically 2 per game for months, yet somehow their performances are commented on positively. 
i’d keep them both but would be doing everything to get rid of Klose, Baker, Vyner and Kalas to bring in some experienced leaders NP would want. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

I do have to laugh with press comments for the likes of Cundy and Atkinson regarding impressive performances. Weve let in 70+ goals, averaging basically 2 per game for months, yet somehow their performances are commented on positively. 
i’d keep them both but would be doing everything to get rid of Klose, Baker, Vyner and Kalas to bring in some experienced leaders NP would want. 

The dangers of evaluating players individually in a team game!!!

Edited by Davefevs

On 05/04/2022 at 19:31, nickolas said:

Having watched Cundy yesterday I’d let the bloke go. Absolutely shocking performance and there’s no way he’s championship standard. 

4 minutes ago, swanker said:

Having watched Cundy yesterday I’d let the bloke go. Absolutely shocking performance and there’s no way he’s championship standard. 

Be very interesting to see if he features over the 2 Easter games, if he drops out of the squad you would think the decision has been made.

Clearly his wage demands would be at the bottom end of our wage bill which is in his favour, but we still have to be sure at 25 next season he could make a contribution.

On 05/04/2022 at 13:37, Red-Robbo said:

Except N.O.N.C_ means "paedophile", not "homosexual".  (You can't write the word on this forum)

Actually means Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise

Its what prison guards wrote on the files of prisoners files of people who could be at risk, this could be sex offenders, wealthy, high profile, debt heads and so on. It was a label given to Vulnerable Prisoners. Over time, the term VP in jails was created, but to cons it would always be known as the I love you wing and not the VP wing. But it comes from the old filing system when a prisoner was highlighted as not to be on association with the general population. 

It does not mean someone is a Paedo, but is a label given to them. Although it covers a lot of prisoners who would be vulnerable in jail. Most prisons have VP wings nowadays, not all prisoners on them are Paedo's or sex offenders, but will be labelled as being on the N O N C .E  wing by mains prisoners. VP is the term used by staff, N.O.N.C.E by cons. 

Edited by robin for life
  • Thanks 2

Bringing on Vyner to replace him was a bit of an indictment in itself. He looked badly exposed yesterday against the worst team in the league. We have too many average players already. Our 3 centre backs yesterday looked incapable of bringing the ball out resulting in aimless punts to the overworked Martin. Their only excuse for not bringing the ball out was probably that giving it to any of our midfielders was effectively conceding possession anyway. 

44 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Personally didn’t think he was quite as bad yesterday as NP and lots of others did. If nothing else looks like the first CB for a while who when he heads the ball, at least considers the concept of trying to head it to a team mate rather than just winning the ball. 

Not overly relevant but an absolute masterclass in this art from Michail Antonio for West Ham on Thursday night. Amazing how far he's come since he was playing at our level.

England have missed a trick with him I feel.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Bringing on Vyner to replace him was a bit of an indictment in itself. He looked badly exposed yesterday against the worst team in the league. We have too many average players already. Our 3 centre backs yesterday looked incapable of bringing the ball out resulting in aimless punts to the overworked Martin. Their only excuse for not bringing the ball out was probably that giving it to any of our midfielders was effectively conceding possession anyway. 

Actually thought Atkinson did OK and his passing wasn't bad but the other 2 can't seem to do it.

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Personally didn’t think he was quite as bad yesterday as NP and lots of others did. If nothing else looks like the first CB for a while who when he heads the ball, at least considers the concept of trying to head it to a team mate rather than just winning the ball. 

Me and my mate thought that he might be unwell because he was so poor? No surprise he didn’t come out second half.

Edited by swanker

Through injuries he has been pushed up the pecking order. 

However, in a fully fit squad Cundy would be a squad player at most. I don't mean for that to sound disrespectful, as he has shown consistency in his performances, but we must strive for better if we are to improve. 

He could be useful as an extra defender to be used to see out games (if we ever figure out how to do this). 

2 hours ago, swanker said:

How many times have we seen a player step up in this division for us, then dip 5 or 6 games in?  Sometimes you get through those early games on adrenaline, but you can’t keep it up…need a little reset, then go again.  The demands of playing plus training at this level, especially for Robbie, is a new encounter.

Cundy yesterday looked like his body was letting him down.  He hasn’t as slow on the turn in previous games.  Body might’ve been pushed a bit too far over recent weeks.  It happens.

I also think we are seeing this a bit with Scott, lost his spark after a great first season.  I said if he got 1k minutes this season it would be some achievement.  He’s played almost 2.5k!!  That’s massive.

Again, I think Semenyo has lost a tad too….playing centrally and being duffed up my CBs is different to playing wide.

Both players will “come again”.  Same with Pring.

I hope Cundy does too.

But dips in form for players playing their first time regularly at this level happen.  Normally a manager has a squad that can pull them out at the right times.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, robin for life said:

Actually means Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise

Its what prison guards wrote on the files of prisoners files of people who could be at risk, this could be sex offenders, wealthy, high profile, debt heads and so on. It was a label given to Vulnerable Prisoners. Over time, the term VP in jails was created, but to cons it would always be known as the I love you wing and not the VP wing. But it comes from the old filing system when a prisoner was highlighted as not to be on association with the general population. 

It does not mean someone is a Paedo, but is a label given to them. Although it covers a lot of prisoners who would be vulnerable in jail. Most prisons have VP wings nowadays, not all prisoners on them are Paedo's.

On the subject of VP wings in prisons, there was an amusing story about Benjamin Mendy, the Manchester City player charged with various sexual assault offences.

When he was remanded in custody for breaching his bail conditions, he was informed he was to be sent to a VP wing.

On arrival at the prison, he apparently went mad as he had convinced himself that, due to his status as a wealthy, international footballer, he was being assigned a VIP wing.

Poor man ?.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How many times have we seen a player step up in this division for us, then dip 5 or 6 games in?  Sometimes you get through those early games on adrenaline, but you can’t keep it up…need a little reset, then go again.  The demands of playing plus training at this level, especially for Robbie, is a new encounter.

Cundy yesterday looked like his body was letting him down.  He hasn’t as slow on the turn in previous games.  Body might’ve been pushed a bit too far over recent weeks.  It happens.

I also think we are seeing this a bit with Scott, lost his spark after a great first season.  I said if he got 1k minutes this season it would be some achievement.  He’s played almost 2.5k!!  That’s massive.

Again, I think Semenyo has lost a tad too….playing centrally and being duffed up my CBs is different to playing wide.

Both players will “come again”.  Same with Pring.

I hope Cundy does too.

But dips in form for players playing their first time regularly at this level happen.  Normally a manager has a squad that can pull them out at the right times.

I seem to recall that Flint wasn’t that impressive when he first joined us and that was in League 1. I can see signs in Cundy of potential but you can never predict how a player will develop. He has had limited experience at Championship level, a long lay off through injury and I bet he’s on a low wage. I’d like to see him given an extension to his contract, I wouldn’t write him off yet.

• Like 1