IGNORED

Nigel Pearson Interview

The Coach

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Nice positive chat with Nige. Surprisingly, no questions about further incomings though. No doubt we wouldn't have learned much, if anything, but surprised it wasn't asked.

I assume questions are agreed in advance so he won't be asked anything he vetoes.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Nice positive chat with Nige. Surprisingly, no questions about further incomings though. No doubt we wouldn't have learned much, if anything, but surprised it wasn't asked.

Interesting he did quote 4 new signings though and not 3. I'm assuming he includes Klose in that but part of me hopes he isn't factored in and we get some more announcements soon

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Interesting he did quote 4 new signings though and not 3. I'm assuming he includes Klose in that but part of me hopes he isn't factored in and we get some more announcements soon

That was a direct reference to Klose.

By far the most interesting bit for me was him pretty much confirming we would continue with 3 at the back (& wing backs) when he said we wouldn’t be changing much from last season.

Makes the recruitment of Kane Wilson much more logical.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

By far the most interesting bit for me was him pretty much confirming we would continue with 3 at the back (& wing backs) when he said we wouldn’t be changing much from last season.

Not only Kane but Kal as well, he really shone for Luton last year in a back 3.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep some really interesting bits in there.

Love these interviews and despite being guarded and closed feel he actually reveals a lot more than previous managers as less clichés and soundbites.

Certainly got me excited for the season whilst delivering messages in a calm and measured manner, I've never once doubted he was the right man for the job and these interviews reinforce that for me. Hoping we start the season well and keep a lot of critics quiet early. Very much aware that as much as I like Nige, football is based on results and always a concern a poor start will turn AG toxic and that'll be a tough thing to come back from.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

And would probably also suggest that we will try and get another CB now Cundy isn't staying.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Sykes as well. Both are indications that Nige will play 3 at the back.

Klose, Naismith and Kalas if he stays.

Saw a rumour earlier that Cundy is off to Barnsley……….:dunno:

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

And would probably also suggest that we will try and get another CB now Cundy isn't staying.

Question becomes what pedigree of player are you after?  We have youngsters developing into the next City CB - Idehen, Towler.  We don’t need someone to block them, I.e. we don’t want a squad filler.  So do we try and bring in someone of at least equal ability to the main quartet (TK, TK, RA, KA)?  At what cost?

I’m really not sure how this pans out.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I could be wrong of course but I think it all depends on Kalas.

If he stays we have 4 senior central defenders, Klose, Naismith, Kalas & Atkinson plus Towler & Idehen.

Whoever we signed in those circumstances would be coming in as 5th choice at best for 3 positions, hardly an attractive prospect.

If Kalas goes (my hunch is not) we need to replace him, otherwise I don’t think we do.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Where are James, Sykes, Scott etc going to play then? ?

Maybe he would play the two together, nice choices to have I suppose.

It will be a squad game. All different options. Can play back 4, with a CDM and Williams shielding. Can play back 5, with 3 in midfield but Scott as a false 10. Can play 442 with Scott and Sykes wide. 
Depends on the opposition. Depends on fitness. Depends on form.

Edited by Selred
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Selred said:

It will be a squad game. All different options. Can play back 4, with a CDM and Williams shielding. Can play back 5, with 3 in midfield but Scott as a false 10. Can play 442 with Scott and Sykes wide. 
Depends on the opposition. Depends on fitness. Depends on form.

I feel he wants players to be flexible for different opponents and to switch mid game as the game requires 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Question becomes what pedigree of player are you after?  We have youngsters developing into the next City CB - Idehen, Towler.  We don’t need someone to block them, I.e. we don’t want a squad filler.  So do we try and bring in someone of at least equal ability to the main quartet (TK, TK, RA, KA)?  At what cost?

I’m really not sure how this pans out.

It's an odd one - as Cundy leaving strikes me as the RCB being void aside of Kalas, unless we feel comfortable with Klose, our most experienced defender, moving across to cover, or Atkinson?

Idehen & Towler, as well as Atkinson & Naismith, all strike me as centre/left side of a three or biased to that side, along with Pring able to cover in an emergency.

From that view, I would loan Towler out until Jan, rotate Idehen to go out from Jan onwards. The sticking point is do we try and ship Kalas out provided there are any takers, or sign competition for him if there is not?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would like a defensive minded midfielder to challenge Williams, or replace if needed. Maybe that's why we were / are in for Rhinamoto?

Didn't Pearson say previously we haven't got a defensive midfield player. I would like you hope it is a priority to get a player of this sort in. 

• Like 1

The key messages for me:

1) Doesn’t want a comfortable squad / needs players to be challenged 

2) Doesn’t want a huge squad

3) Wants players who are hungry and ambitious 

4) Progress is apparent but the pace of change requires patience and is perhaps slower than many would wish for 

Although he was careful not to be critical of the previous set-up it’s clear that what he wants and IMO will achieve is the opposite of what he inherited as we under LJ we had a huge, comfortable squad.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

The key messages for me:

1) Doesn’t want a comfortable squad / needs players to be challenged 

2) Doesn’t want a huge squad

3) Wants players who are hungry and ambitious 

4) Progress is apparent but the pace of change requires patience and is perhaps slower than many would wish for 

Although he was careful not to be critical of the previous set-up it’s clear that what he wants and IMO will achieve is the opposite of what he inherited as we under LJ we had a huge, comfortable squad.

Also referred to players wanting to be here, ergo pleased we have got rid/getting rid of those that don’t. 

• Like 1