IGNORED

Lewes FC, cheeky Buggers!

Coin-op

13 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I think we should turn this into a thing.  Let’s retaliate with a few “who the **** are Lewes” banners, and get a few anti-Lewes chants going. We can even invent our own derogatory nickname for them, like LOSE-es, LOO-is or EEEEEWis.

You’re just a small town in Brighton.

Retaliate against Lewes FC with banners and chants?! Really?! They are just having a laugh - good on them! They’d give anything to be in our position in the football pyramid - so let them mock and have fun, it’s harmless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Retaliate against Lewes FC with banners and chants?! Really?! They are just having a laugh - good on them! They’d give anything to be in our position in the football pyramid - so let them mock and have fun, it’s harmless!

Not again…. ? Read my post from further up the thread where I’ve very clearly said that I appreciated their humour and the randomness.

I just thought it might be fun to have a good natured pop back and a bit of a laugh… maybe we could even form a totally random link with their fans. I guess that tone didn’t come across well in my post as that’s two people now that thought I was genuinely angry at a seventh tier football club. ?

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 2

Lewes FC have a lovely set up, owned by their fans (including me...) and some of the best graphics advertising their games.

http://www.urban75.org/blog/the-wonderful-posters-of-lewes-fc-a-member-owned-lower-league-team/ 

They were pioneers in paying their women's FC properly, which is why they are in the women's championship. As a Lewes born and bred, Bristol based Red (and black) I think we should sing their praises, despite being hijacked by a g*shead....

Edited by Dr_Castro
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Not again…. ? Read my post from further up the thread where I’ve very clearly said that I appreciated their humour and the randomness.

I just thought it might be fun to have a good natured pop back and a bit of a laugh… maybe we could even form a totally random link with their fans. I guess that tone didn’t come across well in my post as that’s two people now that thought I was genuinely angry at a seventh tier football club. ?

I thought the spirit of your original post was obvious ?

I think that would be hilarious - "You're just a shit Eastbourne Borough"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Apologies! I only read the one post and thought it very strange you had the hump with Lewes FC! Wahey ... ??✌️

On 22/06/2022 at 10:53, IAmNick said:

Removed the blokes surname, but my guess is that this is why:

"Volunteer of The Week'! This week we caught up with Supporters Club member Terry [surname]. Terry is originally a Bristolian and a lifelong Bristol Rovers fan but he now shares his allegiances with Lewes FC and spends many of his Saturdays down at the Pan carrying out vital maintenance work.

We asked Terry - mid-hammer blow - those three all important questions. He considered each one carefully before replying with his soft Bristol lilt...

Why did you choose to volunteer for Lewes FC?

“I don’t think I actually did volunteer - it just happened. I was here one day and some-one said, ‘You’ll do this won’t you?’ and next thing I knew I was painting toilets!”

Which team would you most like us to beat?

“Always Bristol City”

If you could put a message on a billboard for all the world to see, what would it be?

“Try and get on with life: don’t fret, don’t hassle people, don’t be extreme!”"

Not sure I believe that last sentence of his! Pretty funny though, fair play to him if he's the culprit!

I think I may have met this guy. Was at The Dripping Pan back in March, when City Women beat Lewes Women 3-0. Saw a random guy in a Rovers shirt & got chatting to him; I think he said he was from Eastville(?) but had moved down to Sussex & become a fan of Lewes (men & women) too. Wore a Rovers shirt deliberately as City were playing.

I think I had uploaded the photo already, but here is my photo of the board at Lewes from when I was there...
Good model that they have down in Lewes; passionate supporters supporting equal opportunities

DSC_8374.JPG

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

I think I may have met this guy. Was at The Dripping Pan back in March, when City Women beat Lewes Women 3-0. Saw a random guy in a Rovers shirt & got chatting to him; I think he said he was from Eastville(?) but had moved down to Sussex & become a fan of Lewes (men & women) too. Wore a Rovers shirt deliberately as City were playing.

I think I had uploaded the photo already, but here is my photo of the board at Lewes from when I was there...
Good model that they have down in Lewes; passionate supporters supporting equal opportunities

DSC_8374.JPG

That’s one up on Rovers, by having a game that’s been sold out! ?

• Like 1

I live in Lewes, as do a fair few other City fans living in the town or nearby. It’s a lovely place with a slightly renegade spirit. The club is great, fan owned, not for profit, all about equality. Mike Bayly recently voted The Dripping Pan as no.1 in his recent book ‘British Footballs Greatest Grounds’

I do know of the suspect sag in question, he’s also responsible for a gas scarf fixed to the back of the main stand. Wouldn’t it be great if this ‘hilarious’ prank backfired and it became the catalyst for some kind of connection between City & Lewes...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RooknRobin said:

I live in Lewes, as do a fair few other City fans living in the town or nearby. It’s a lovely place with a slightly renegade spirit. The club is great, fan owned, not for profit, all about equality. Mike Bayly recently voted The Dripping Pan as no.1 in his recent book ‘British Footballs Greatest Grounds’

I do know of the suspect sag in question, he’s also responsible for a gas scarf fixed to the back of the main stand. Wouldn’t it be great if this ‘hilarious’ prank backfired and it became the catalyst for some kind of connection between City & Lewes...

I’m up the road in Newick, as to a connection, their are plenty of good pubs to connect in at Lewes . I have been to Lewes FC numerous times , my son played for their U18’s, I know the grounds man , Roger, however it is a bloody long way from Bristol for a social. They do put up a collection of other clubs scarfs at the back of their stand, maybe a large Bristol City addition could be fun?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I’m up the road in Newick, as to a connection, their are plenty of good pubs to connect in at Lewes . I have been to Lewes FC numerous times , my son played for their U18’s, I know the grounds man , Roger, however it is a bloody long way from Bristol for a social. They do put up a collection of other clubs scarfs at the back of their stand, maybe a large Bristol City addition could be fun?

Harvey's brewery of Lewes seem to have a pretty good estate of tied houses in Sussex.  I used to be partial to a pint of Harvey's Best when I drank in their London pub, the Cat's Back near Wandsworth Bridge. 

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Harvey's brewery of Lewes seem to have a pretty good estate of tied houses in Sussex.  I used to be partial to a pint of Harvey's Best when I drank in their London pub, the Cat's Back near Wandsworth Bridge. 

Harvey’s is basically a religion down here. The brewery dominates the town and has done since the 1700’s

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 14:13, Red-Robbo said:

Can second that, usual choice of beer when visiting family in Sussex. Dark Star is also acceptable, although no longer independent.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Trojandog said:

Okay, fair one, it was me. Don't worry, this isn't a Gashead infiltrating, just a Gashead who has signed up to set the record straight. Born in Eastville, then joined the Army in '77 and met a Sussex lass. Now support The Gas and Lewes FC where I volunteer on the SC Committee, do stewarding and maintenance.

At the end of last season the match board was still showing the final game so I was asked to clear it. The temptation was too great.  No offence intended, just a bit of banter. I never expected it to be seen outside of Lewes. In fact, being on a no-through-road, it was only likely to be seen by people on their way to the council tip. It's come down now. As it happened, a lass from your women's team was coming for a look round and diplomacy prevailed. 

On the back wall of the main stand are just over 70 scarves from around the world. Rovers and City are represented. Rovers prominently, City maybe less so, but that's what happens when a Gashead puts the scarves up ?.

Anyway, good luck for the season. Please don't get relegated, then we can have a couple of derbys when we come up for the 23/24 season.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XdCzFr8rYjnohLJb8

Fair play 

Football thrives on banter and having a laugh 

All the best for Lewes this season, but there's probably a better chance of Lewes getting to our level than the blue few 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trojandog said:

Okay, fair one, it was me. Don't worry, this isn't a Gashead infiltrating, just a Gashead who has signed up to set the record straight. Born in Eastville, then joined the Army in '77 and met a Sussex lass. Now support The Gas and Lewes FC where I volunteer on the SC Committee, do stewarding and maintenance.

At the end of last season the match board was still showing the final game so I was asked to clear it. The temptation was too great.  No offence intended, just a bit of banter. I never expected it to be seen outside of Lewes. In fact, being on a no-through-road, it was only likely to be seen by people on their way to the council tip. It's come down now. As it happened, a lass from your women's team was coming for a look round and diplomacy prevailed. 

On the back wall of the main stand are just over 70 scarves from around the world. Rovers and City are represented. Rovers prominently, City maybe less so, but that's what happens when a Gashead puts the scarves up ?.

Anyway, good luck for the season. Please don't get relegated, then we can have a couple of derbys when we come up for the 23/24 season.

Fair play fella!

What is football without a bit of banter.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Trojandog said:

Makes the story even better ??

Sounds like there are a few City fans in Lewes. You may have prompted them to turn up en masse and drape the area behind the goal with City flags!

• Like 1

Fair play mate. Top banter.

It must be tough putting in all the hard yards at a tiny ramshackle ground with only a few stands, small gates, lower league football and a much bigger and more successful neighbour just down the road but anyway, enough about Bristol Rovers.

Wish Lewes FC every success for the season.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

On 24/06/2022 at 11:47, RooknRobin said:

I do know of the suspect sag in question, he’s also responsible for a gas scarf fixed to the back of the main stand. Wouldn’t it be great if this ‘hilarious’ prank backfired and it became the catalyst for some kind of connection between City 

As another Lewes City fan, sounds like there’s enough of us to form a Supporters Club!

On 23/06/2022 at 03:13, Wanderingred said:

"I propose we hit Lewes hard and we hit them fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign..."

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Crackers Corner said:

"I propose we hit Lewes hard and we hit them fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign..."

Has anyone ever told you that you are a disgusting pus filled bubo with all the charm, wit and self possession of an Alsatian dog after a head swap operation?…”

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Trojandog said:

Dog, old bean, as you’re a Rovers fan I can see why you’re attracted to Lewes FC. The Dripping Pan is on the way to the Council tip and the Rovers ground is a council tip. Home from home. By the way, keep putting up amusing messages on the  ground’s sign. Try something about Man Utd. That would get you a lot of reaction from the thousands of Man Utd “supporters” who live in the south east. 

13 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

We could call the campaign:

Cancel Lewes If They Orchestrate Rovers Inclusive Signage

But there's only one drawback with that, it stands for Clitoris. 

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 13/07/2022 at 16:33, Trojandog said:

Fair play ??

A Gashead that can own up and take the banter like a proper bloke.