IGNORED

Facing newly promoted sides early doors

Major Isewater

On 23/06/2022 at 18:44, marmite said:

Sightly off topic but are we getting new replacement season ticket cards this season?  Mines looking a bit  jaded. 

New ones every year. Should arrive sometime in July.

On 23/06/2022 at 09:25, Major Isewater said:

I am a bit disappointed to see that we play both Sunderland and Wigan in our early opening fixtures. Whilst they are teams from the division below they often make up for their deficiencies with extra motivation and energy.Also they are used to winning.

I much prefer to play them after six to eight weeks when they run out of steam and the bubble has burst.

So we will need to be on our game from the off to avoid dropped points. I don’t agree with Bristol Live that it is an easy start.

Totally agree. I also feel the sense of optimism is slowly building until when we draw 1-1 with the League One play off winners at Home after going 1-0 is never a good thing. 

Id personally keep Hull, then have someone like Birmingham, Reading etc.

Still optimistic about this season. Quote this at about 5:30pm on the 6th of August when i’m sat on the train after the 0-1 loss to Sunderland. 

Edited by OliOTIB

On 23/06/2022 at 09:37, 1960maaan said:

I've long held the theory that promoted sides are a tough way to start the season. They finished the previous year on a high, all their fans are up for it and there will be plenty of good will and encouragement around.
All games are tough in the Championship, but that added buzz for a promoted side gives another thing to get over

The best sides to meet early on are those that had a huge turnover of players in the summer.  They meet for their first competitive match and are a team of strangers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The best sides to meet early on are those that had a huge turnover of players in the summer.  They meet for their first competitive match and are a team of strangers. 

Interesting. Could potentially explain why L1 promoted sides do better than those relegated from the PL on the very first day of the season. Promoted sides average 1.19 ppg on that day, relegated sides only manage 1.1. It's a small difference. I 'feel' like relegated sides undergo more churn than promoted teams...just a feeling, no basis for it. But it's a theory.

My theory was that relegated sides were yet to bring parachute payments to bear. We're yet to make their big signings. But maybe general squad churn is a factor.  

Maybe needs to be tested (anyone want to a PhD in this? I'd be game).

39 minutes ago, culverhays said:

Season ticket holders first, then general?

Always this isn't it? But with Members in-between. So STs, then Members, then general sale.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1