IGNORED

Lee Hendrie

GrahamC

1 hour ago, Super said:

Jeez why do people get so annoyed over somebody making a prediction? Weird.

Your quite right........his opinion is no more valid than some bloke at a bus stop, so why worry?  But i do wonder how these barely articulate has- beens get employed, is he sha***ng the producer, or has he got some dirt on the director?  How else would someone pay him     for spouting inane drivel........ok, he can say what he wants......but should it really be broadcast?  Ha!    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Tipping us to go down (with Reading & Birmingham) on Sky this morning.

Thank **** for that, as there can’t be a pundit who knows less than him, he said Rotherham would survive (ok then) but then had to be prompted because he clearly didn’t know their manager’s name.

Absolute *******.

I’d prefer every pundit to tip us for relegation. The more the merrier. 

34 minutes ago, Midred said:

If only they put in the contract "You will be able to come back at the end of the season and justify your prediction won't you?"

You'd like to think they'd ask him that now though, wouldn't you!

Q: Who's getting relegated, Lee?

A: Bristol City

Q: Why've you picked them then?

39 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Amazing that people can get this worked up and angry, chill people! If I was outside looking in I'd be tipping us for relegation as well.

No-one's getting angry about Lee Hendrie - "he ain't worth it". But some people do have opinions about the absolute state of football broadcasting. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Just seen that he also has Sunderland down for a top 6 finish.

Why? Well because they're Sunderland - look at how many fans they have! ?‍♂️

Wouldn't place much value on Hendrie's opinions.....

Again he is correct, alot of the time big teams like Sunderland ride the creast of the wave of positivity and often see themselves in an unexpected promotion push, we've done Barnsley done it, Southampton, Norwich, wolves, I could go on, it's reasonable for a big club to be talked about lime that

This was true but I think the last team to do it was Sheffield Utd and that was 5 seasons ago. The Championship has increasing become a closed shop and league one teams are consistently struggling in the first season and often are relegated in the second. 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Again he is correct, alot of the time big teams like Sunderland ride the creast of the wave of positivity and often see themselves in an unexpected promotion push, we've done Barnsley done it, Southampton, Norwich, wolves, I could go on, it's reasonable for a big club to be talked about lime that

In that case, why weren't Sheffield Utd, Derby and Middlesborough promoted as they had the biggest attendances?   Not to mention WBA , Coventry and Stoke?  But incredibly Bournemouth went up with an average attendance of ..........9,753?   The lowest of any Championship club.   Equating support and success on the pitch has no logic, Hallelujah!!  ..............If it were the case, then Man U and Arsenal would have finished first and second, in the Prem last season?  IMHO Sunderland will do well to finish in the Top 12........it's all about opinions...but also research?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

As I said in another thread earlier, I think this is a bit of an overreaction to them being a 'big club'.

Finishing in the top half would be an absolutely incredible achievement for any promoted team, let alone finishing in the top 6. The Twitter comments below the Hendie video are full of Sunderland fans acknowledging that he's talking rubbish. Many of Sunderland's own fans are saying they'd be happy to just stay up. I don't follow League 1 closely at all, but I gather that their promotion was far from comfortable - bear in mind they only finished 5th.

I appreciate Sunderland have good long term potential, but in the short term they're not really a team that should be feared.

And perhaps they will do brilliantly this season, but if they do, it won't be "because they're Sunderland", "because they have so many fans", or "because they're destined to be a top flight club".

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, maxjak said:

In that case, why weren't Sheffield Utd, Derby and Middlesborough promoted as they had the biggest attendances?   Not to mention WBA , Coventry and Stoke?  But incredibly Bournemouth went up with an average attendance of ..........9,753?   The lowest of any Championship club.   Equating support and success on the pitch has no logic, Hallelujah!!  ..............If it were the case, then Man U and Arsenal would have finished first and second, in the Prem last season?  IMHO Sunderland will do well to finish in the Top 12........it's all about opinions...but also research?

Sheffield United did get promoted after winning promotion from league one, quite quickly,

You have only to think back to our televised games.

Ex premier league players turned pundits fawn obscenely over ex premier league clubs yet give little , if any, recognition for us. On to many occasions that might well have been justified, but you get the distinct impression that premier league is the only game in town and if you've not been in it, then you are an irrelevance.The exceptions tend to be clubs like Luton ( fairytale club punching well above their weight) or clubs with celebrity managers - think Frank Lampard/Wayne Rooney's Derby County ( although they also qualify as a big club and ex prem - although now also ex championship! 

I also think that for pundits like Hendrie their football knowledge outside of the top flight would be found wanting if ever they were seriously questioned about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You'd like to think they'd ask him that now though, wouldn't you!

Q: Who's getting relegated, Lee?

A: Bristol City

Q: Why've you picked them then?

No-one's getting angry about Lee Hendrie - "he ain't worth it". But some people do have opinions about the absolute state of football broadcasting. 

If he'd suggested that Sunderland were good for relegation they probably would have asked him. Did they ask him where Derby would end up next season? ?

• Like 1

Without a doubt the worst pundit employed by sky.

Dean Windass had a go for a while on the “around the ground” commentator.

However villas finest has set the bar exceedingly low.

I appreciate he has had mental health issues but he really is the Bristol Rovers of the pundit game.

To Lee Hendrie “you have sat in the sky studios too long for any good you have been doing.Depart, I say and let us have done with you.In the name of OTIB go”

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You have only to think back to our televised games.

Ex premier league players turned pundits fawn obscenely over ex premier league clubs yet give little , if any, recognition for us. On to many occasions that might well have been justified, but you get the distinct impression that premier league is the only game in town and if you've not been in it, then you are an irrelevance.The exceptions tend to be clubs like Luton ( fairytale club punching well above their weight) or clubs with celebrity managers - think Frank Lampard/Wayne Rooney's Derby County ( although they also qualify as a big club and ex prem - although now also ex championship! 

I also think that for pundits like Hendrie their football knowledge outside of the top flight would be found wanting if ever they were seriously questioned about it.

If he was put on the spot about tactical decisions and midfield formations, I can see him floundering?  "Yeah they'll go up cos' they got big support and I like the manager" is about his limit.  You would have thought, with all the ex pros looking for work, they could turn up some intelligent and insightful analyst's, it does make me ponder, first, how some of them get in the door, and secondly..... stay in work?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If he was put on the spot about tactical decisions and midfield formations, I can see him floundering?  "Yeah they'll go up cos' they got big support and I like the manager" is about his limit.  You would have thought, with all the ex pros looking for work, they could turn up some intelligent and insightful analyst's, it does make me ponder, first, how some of them get in the door, and secondly..... stay in work?

Good point and That's the thing I have an issue with,

If they stated about momentum then I could defend them a bit more,

(I'm not actually trying to defend hendrix here simply pointing out why some pundits are thinking they way they are)

53 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

Without a doubt the worst pundit employed by sky.

Dean Windass had a go for a while on the “around the ground” commentator.

However villas finest has set the bar exceedingly low.

I appreciate he has had mental health issues but he really is the Bristol Rovers of the pundit game.

To Lee Hendrie “you have sat in the sky studios too long for any good you have been doing.Depart, I say and let us have done with you.In the name of OTIB go”

Er Jamie Mackie....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, maxjak said:

With relatively few exceptions, I suspect the reason many ex-players become pundits, rather than "putting something back into the game" by becoming coaches or managers, is they just don't have the ability/knowledge/intelligence or, of course, all 3!