IGNORED

Nathan Baker ?

Dolman Block B

Not seen in training clips the past few days 

And been out since November 2021

The club have been quiet on the situation and rightly so. 

You have to think his playing career is over which is bloody sad because he gave everything on the pitch 

Gregor MCGregor tweeted that the club opens up to the media tomorrow so perhaps we all will be updated 

1 minute ago, Edge1981 said:

His missus posted up on instagram yesterday that they were away together which would explain why he isn’t in the training vids. 

Oh right, surely should be reporting for fitness training anyway if on the payroll?

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

On this topic, I think we need to wait for NB to speak. It’s tragic any career is cut short due to injury. It’s highly personal and given the nature of the injury - very sensitive.

He got a fair bit of shit on here for being a sick note but he always put in a shift. A real warrior.

Wish the bloke all the best

Well said.

• Like 1

In all honesty I think the Club has played a blinder with the Nathan Baker situation. It's clearly a, diificult time for all concerned, but especially himself and his family. He needs all the time and help he can get and without any pressure being placed upon him. I am sure news will be forthcoming in time but we need to remain patient and wish him all the best with his future whatever the outcome. 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Get that

But surely NP would want him up at the training ground ? 

42 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Oh right, surely should be reporting for fitness training anyway if on the payroll?

Do you honestly think he’s away without being told to be away?!  Clearly he’s still not able to train. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just got married too I believe.  Imagine he’s having a lovely honeymoon.

I’m perfectly happy with how club have positioned this, and perfectly happy to let the club or Bakes give us the next update.  It’s clearly a delicate issue, and I don’t think it needs ***** on twitter asking the club “where’s Bakes” with an agenda, nor someone replying “surely he can’t still be concussed”….it’s effing insensitive, and crass.

There are some horrid people on twitter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

On this topic, I think we need to wait for NB to speak. It’s tragic any career is cut short due to injury. It’s highly personal and given the nature of the injury - very sensitive.

He got a fair bit of shit on here for being a sick note but he always put in a shift. A real warrior.

Wish the bloke all the best

To be fair, the ‘sick note’ reputation was reasonable based on his record but I think the rumours about Baker’s medical situation in recent months has added context to his many early withdrawals in matches which has enabled fans to understand this a bit more.

Think it’s fair to say we’re all now united with respect and best wishes for NB and I echo the sentiments of previous posts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Do you honestly think he’s away without being told to be away?!  Clearly he’s still not able to train. 

No, but should still be in the building ready to start work, maybe they can find some filing for him to do. 

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

I hope he doesn't play again for his own sake, but we would miss him if (still if) that were to happen.

Echo what others have said - it's a delicate situation that doesn't deserve to be the main question on everybody's lips. The situation will be resolved, as/when it's appropriate.

Can't fault the club with the way in which it has dealt with this situation. It doesn't need the exposure, until if/when the time is right. 

If however it is the worse case scenario situation, then with the recent coverage that dementia in the older generation players has had, you can be sure that Bakers retirement (if it does come to that), will be quite high profile. If that were to happen, he also needs to be ready for that kind of exposure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just got married too I believe.  Imagine he’s having a lovely honeymoon.

I’m perfectly happy with how club have positioned this, and perfectly happy to let the club or Bakes give us the next update.  It’s clearly a delicate issue, and I don’t think it needs ***** on twitter asking the club “where’s Bakes” with an agenda, nor someone replying “surely he can’t still be concussed”….it’s effing insensitive, and crass.

Few posts on here as well that are ignorant and disrespectful - couple now gone on ignore, absolute ****wits.

• Robin 1

20 minutes ago, Taz said:

I hope he doesn't play again for his own sake, but we would miss him if (still if) that were to happen.

Echo what others have said - it's a delicate situation that doesn't deserve to be the main question on everybody's lips. The situation will be resolved, as/when it's appropriate.

Can't fault the club with the way in which it has dealt with this situation. It doesn't need the exposure, until if/when the time is right. 

If however it is the worse case scenario situation, then with the recent coverage that dementia in the older generation players has had, you can be sure that Bakers retirement (if it does come to that), will be quite high profile. If that were to happen, he also needs to be ready for that kind of exposure.

Absolutely.

If/When there is any statement to be made, it will come when NB is ready, and not a moment before.

It is surely inconceivable that NB might have just popped off for a few weeks holiday without the Club’s approval or, likewise, to get married and go on honeymoon.

It's a huge topic within the game, and a sensitive one of that. 

The club has been a credit to themselves for the way they have conducted this process. 

They have allowed Baker to recover, whilst also protecting his privacy. The focus has always been on his health first and foremost. 

When we look back on this in a few years time, the club will be recognized for having led the way for following the updated protocol. 

An announcement will come when the time is right, and whatever the decision will be, everyone should be wishing Bakes well.

• Like 5

I trust Rennie and Nige to have been considerate and thorough with their review of Bakes situation to make sure this is resolved or in continuous review pending announcement by both club and player.

We may find out, we may not. It's Bakes wellbeing and may he deal with it how he sees fit. It's none of our business. It's between him and the club. I just hope he does right by himself most of all, and thank him for his service to the club. If more players were as brave and committed in the challenge as he is, and put themselves on the line, we may have had some better seasons the past couple of years which is all you can ask for.

It may be he joins the coaching staff in the academy or/is doing his badges etc while the insurance aspect is settled. We can only wait.

What is it with football where someone's personal life has to be published by the employee or the employer.

I don't need to know what someone in my office is off sick with. Nor do I need them to apologise for looking drunk on holiday in Vegas. Nor do I need them to come out.

It's only bloody sport.

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

What is it with football where someone's personal life has to be published by the employee or the employer.

I don't need to know what someone in my office is off sick with. Nor do I need them to apologise for looking drunk on holiday in Vegas. Nor do I need them to come out.

It's only bloody sport.

With regards to their personal life, where they go on holiday, who their partner is, etc, I do completely agree with you.

In Baker’s case though him being “off sick” impacts on his availability to play football, which is the reason we are all on here, so that’s a bit different.

However there is then a world of difference between Semenyo’s shin injury, Benarous’s ACL & the situation with Nathan. 

I expect the club (or NB) will clarify the situation before the season starts, it seems very likely that as he hasn’t returned to training & we are now over 6 months since the last incident, he isn’t going to be able to play again, beyond that I’m not sure too much needs to be said.

I am baffled though by those who post on here & elsewhere questions asking “is he back in training” or “why not”, because unless they are deliberately being mischievous or are stupid it is very clear what is playing out.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

It's a huge topic within the game, and a sensitive one of that. 

The club has been a credit to themselves for the way they have conducted this process. 

They have allowed Baker to recover, whilst also protecting his privacy. The focus has always been on his health first and foremost. 

When we look back on this in a few years time, the club will be recognized for having led the way for following the updated protocol. 

An announcement will come when the time is right, and whatever the decision will be, everyone should be wishing Bakes well.

Well said @AshtonRobin21

I can't see the Club commentating on Baker again.

The next communication will be from Nathan himself, when he feels the time is right to make an announcement.

Very sad scenario for both the player, his family; and the Club no doubt.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Essentially he’s retiring but City are continuing to pay his contract instead of coming to an agreement. All the best Bakes 

Probably for insurance reasons. Villa did the same with Richards, having to tick every box in terms of trying to aid their recovery before they would be able to claim.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:
Doesn’t look like we will see NB in a city shirt again. Wish him all the best. Shame 

I remember some of the comments in the Sheffield United matchday thread, when he was knocked out. Bloke was unconscious on the pitch, and the physios ran on before the ref blew, and some were taking the piss. Unbelievable. Very sad to hear his career is over, and im glad the club are looking after him.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I remember some of the comments in the Sheffield United matchday thread, when he was knocked out. Bloke was unconscious on the pitch, and the physios ran on before the ref blew, and some were taking the piss. Unbelievable. Very sad to hear his career is over, and im glad the club are looking after him.

Totally agree. I can recall the thread and some very strange comments. NB gave 100% when he pulled our shirt on and his fearlessness looks like it has cost him. It really is a shame because he was also a very good defender. Wish him all the best in the future.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1