IGNORED

Nathan Baker ?

Dolman Block B

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Totally agree. I can recall the thread and some very strange comments. NB gave 100% when he pulled our shirt on and his fearlessness looks like it has cost him. It really is a shame because he was also a very good defender. Wish him all the best in the future.

Certainly was & too brave for his own good on occasions.

I think that this suggests we must have explored the insurance option but for whatever reason that’s not possible but this effectively signals the end of his playing career.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

A real shame as he's a great player, brings something unique to our defence with his bravery and tenacity, and seems like a nice person as well. But it's always correct to prioritise health, especially when one is so young.

Testimonial next summer maybe? Bristol City v Aston Villa with proceeds to a brain injury charity? 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably for insurance reasons. Villa did the same with Richards, having to tick every box in terms of trying to aid their recovery before they would be able to claim.

Just wondering... in response to my own message...

When there was that Crouch podcast the other day when he talked about contracts and the 'retirement age, 35' was included; wonder if that is a payout/insurance clause.

27 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

When there was that Crouch podcast the other day when he talked about contracts and the 'retirement age, 35' was included; wonder if that is a payout/insurance clause.

The 35 related to in the old days as a pro footballer you could take your pension.  That changed a while back.  I think I replied to your post earlier with a link.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I don't think that would be relevant in Bakes case.

Any footballer that joined the PFA pension before 6 April 2006 has a protected retirement age of 35. That means they can essentially draw a pension/taken a pension commencement lump sum from that date if they want or need to. If a footballer joined the pension scheme after that date (e.g. NB) then the pension age is 55. Any additional private arrangements are likely to be similar to this.

In NB's case I'm speculating (as I think others have above) that his condition might not clearly meet the terms necessary for an insurance payout. What City look to have done is to protect NB from any uncertainty and commit to paying his contract out. This might well be the correct legal position to take (I don't know), but I am sure there are other clubs that would take the opportunity to try to wiggle out of making payments in similar circumstances.

Thanks for everything Bakes; live long and prosper.

Edit: Sorry at @DavefevsI'm probably just duplicating what you said/posted earlier.

Edited by Sleepy1968

18 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

To be fair, the ‘sick note’ reputation was reasonable based on his record but I think the rumours about Baker’s medical situation in recent months has added context to his many early withdrawals in matches which has enabled fans to understand this a bit more.

Think it’s fair to say we’re all now united with respect and best wishes for NB and I echo the sentiments of previous posts.

I, too, was one of those often commenting how puzzling it was that NB stopped so abruptly in matches, usually an apparent minor leg niggle (sic) whilst invariably managing to walk off unaided and available for selection next fixture. That was until I was told something back last year that shed light on his 'minor niggles' and placed everything in context.

Best wait for NB to say what he wishes, if anything that is. Good player who owes us nothing and his own health, wife and family everything.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

16 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

For a man to lose his livelihood, which he's dedicated the majority of his life will be devastating. Nathan's future wellbeing is the priority now. 

The whole football family is with you Bakes. 

Thank you for your brilliant service to Bristol City.

Hopefully he'll be able to work within the game in a role that doesn't leave him at risk of any further head injuries.

He'll have had months now knowing that he's played his last, but it'll still be an utter sickener for the man. In 2022 we know a lot more about the neurological damage that repeat concussions can do than we did in the past. In years gone by, Nathan would've been back playing within a game or so, risking very serious long-term consequences if concussed again.  For his sake and his family's, lets hope the decision to effectively retire was taken before any lasting damage has been done. 

If by any chance he reads Otib, he'll realise he has the good wishes and respect of  City fans with him, whatever the future holds. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

9 minutes ago, Taz said:

Have I missed something here - has there been an announcement? People talking like it's been confirmed that he's retired/left? 

Just checked the app, website and Facebook and nothing has come up?

Interview on BBCRB, Nige basically saying Bakes won’t be in the squad this season (paraphrased).

• Thanks 1

If that’s him done, feel sorry for him but fair play: one of those who absolutely left it all out there, and I will remember him fondly.

But you can’t mess about with concussions/head trauma. Obviously been huge adjustments in American football because of the evidence behind its role in serious long term damage to players, and same is/should be being looked at in other sports like rugby and football.

Wish Baker all the very best in his recovery and future.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jeez said:

No, but should still be in the building ready to start work, maybe they can find some filing for him to do. 

There are some insensitive bastards about who have no idea of the situation but who are still prepared to make comments like this.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

On 23/06/2022 at 19:17, TonyTonyTony said:

On this topic, I think we need to wait for NB to speak. It’s tragic any career is cut short due to injury. It’s highly personal and given the nature of the injury - very sensitive.

He got a fair bit of shit on here for being a sick note but he always put in a shift. A real warrior.

Wish the bloke all the best

Super post Tony x3 - I’ve always maintained on here that he was the best ‘defender’ at our club and, like you, I called him a ‘warrior’ - but was inevitably shouted down by the ‘imagine my surprise when Baker got injured’ brigade - although they were obviously the ones who didn’t go to any games.

He was always the guy who got stuck in and gave everything he had, in every single game for Bristol City - it will be tragic, yet understandable, if the poor guy has to call it a day. A fantastic defender and a real warrior....

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Super post Tony x3 - I’ve always maintained on here that he was the best ‘defender’ at our club and, like you, I called him a ‘warrior’ - but was inevitably shouted down by the ‘imagine my surprise when Baker got injured’ brigade - although they were obviously the ones who didn’t go to any games.

He was always the guy who got stuck in and gave everything he had, in every single game for Bristol City - it will be tragic, yet understandable, if the poor guy has to call it a day. A fantastic defender and a real warrior....

100% agree @BS4 on Tour.... NB was a total warrior. Perhaps a bit misguided at times but he put his body on the line. He will be a miss

• Flames 1

Ok latest statement by NP that Baker will unlikely be playing next season .so if he still has concussion problems . That sort of does not fit . Concussion surely does not last that long. If no going to available for a whole season , will he ever recover? Does it point to retirement ? I want him fit in the side he does a good job when playing . But it all not make any sense to me . 

And I   have suffered concussions and had  head injury coma situation my self . So I understand this medical issue .

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Ok latest statement by NP that Baker will unlikely be playing next season .so if he still has concussion problems . That sort of does not fit . Concussion surely does not last that long. If no going to available for a whole season , will he ever recover? Does it point to retirement ? I want him fit in the side he does a good job when playing . But it all not make any sense to me . 

And I   have suffered concussions and had  head injury coma situation my self . So I understand this medical issue .

Jesus Christ, read some of the previous posts/threads on this & then work it out for yourself.

Baker has suffered 2 serious concussions in short succession, so the medical advice is clearly that it is not safe for him to resume his career at present, more likely at all. He was last injured in November’21, this now covers a period up to May ‘23, so it should be pretty obvious where this is all going.

It has also been pointed out several times already that there is a link with this issue & brain injury, so of course this points to retirement but as it appears an insurance payoff is not an option (or we would surely do so) that has to be Nathan’s call whilst he’s still under contract.

As for “wanting him fit” I really struggle with you seemingly not being able to understand why that is not ever going to happen.

• Like 6

Not sure if mentioned but also in the Crouch pod cast I'm sure he said players were insured for up to 2 years. I took this to mean wages etc would be covered for 2 years of treatment or whatever. So in theory Baker has a while yet before a decision HAS to be made by either party. Of course it could be sooner. I'm hearing 'no one' has seen him around the club for months.

45 minutes ago, RedM said:

Not sure if mentioned but also in the Crouch pod cast I'm sure he said players were insured for up to 2 years. I took this to mean wages etc would be covered for 2 years of treatment or whatever. So in theory Baker has a while yet before a decision HAS to be made by either party. Of course it could be sooner. I'm hearing 'no one' has seen him around the club for months.

He was in the gym and the pool a couple of days a week certainly until the end of April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pearson's comments clarify what I posted the other day.

City are doing everything in the right manner. 

I think what we will see occur is the club stand by Baker, very much like Tottenham did with Ryan Mason. 

I believe city will look to keep Baker close to the club, and possibly even on the payroll in some capacity. Club ambassador type role could be a possibility. 

Pearson's comments suggested that we are unlikely to see him this year, and I believe his contract is up at the end of the season. So I get the impression that we will continue to look after him in whatever way possible.