Jump to content
IGNORED

Planning a trip to see City from Canada


LandOfSticks
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm finally getting around to coming to a city game in 2023. Bit of a challenging commute as I live across the pond. I'm hoping to see three games and a good away day. So if I'm looking at 2023, weeks with a midweek game and a good away day which week should I come? 

Thanks for the help with this!

  • Like 2
  • Robin 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Eastred said:

Whereabouts in Canada are you? My son lives in Vancouver. I always make a point of wearing my City shirt whenever I see the Whitecaps play

About as far away as one can be from Vancouver without being on an island. I'm in Halifax. 5,791.0 km

Edited by LandOfSticks
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

Feb 11th-18th might be good, Norwich and Wigan at home followed by Sunderland away.

If that's too far off October 15th-22nd gives you Millwall at home followed by West Brom and Reading away.

It's gotta be 2023 because of vacation day resets at work :laugh:. I'm looking mainly at the mid Feb three games and the mid March with an away derby vs Cardiff, but don't know how dicey getting a ticket for that would be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be impossible to get a ticket for Cardiff away unless you’re a season ticket holder. It may be a mid day ko with a high police presence to avoid crowd trouble, so avoid that match. 

Edited by pongo88
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It will be impossible to get a ticket for Derby away unless you’re a season ticket holder. It may be a mid day ko with a high police presence to avoid crowd trouble, so avoid that match. 

Very impossible...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, LandOfSticks said:

It's gotta be 2023 because of vacation day resets at work :laugh:. I'm looking mainly at the mid Feb three games and the mid March with an away derby vs Cardiff, but don't know how dicey getting a ticket for that would be

If you've come all the way from Canada I'm sure the club (or a kind hearted season ticket holder) will be happy to ensure you get a ticket to Cardiff away no problem at all.

You should take into account that based on all recent trips to Cardiff they will probably require us all to travel via Canada (and by bus) so we could pick you up on the way.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking maybe you should contact the club....if someone can take the trouble and expense to travel so far to watch Bristol City FC, the least the club can do is help you out with tickets and information?  Plus it will be good PR for the club, if they have any common sense?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Thinking maybe you should contact the club....if someone can take the trouble and expense to travel so far to watch Bristol City FC, the least the club can do is help you out with tickets and information?  Plus it will be good PR for the club, if they have any common sense?

That's not a bad idea, never occurred to me as NHL teams are... let's say not that responsive to fan requests. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LandOfSticks said:

It's gotta be 2023 because of vacation day resets at work :laugh:. I'm looking mainly at the mid Feb three games and the mid March with an away derby vs Cardiff, but don't know how dicey getting a ticket for that would be

I’m a ST holder, I can always try (still no guarantee) and get you a Cardiff ticket should you decide to come that week 

Edited by Bryans Left Peg
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Thinking maybe you should contact the club....if someone can take the trouble and expense to travel so far to watch Bristol City FC, the least the club can do is help you out with tickets and information?  Plus it will be good PR for the club, if they have any common sense?

One of my brothers lives in the same part of the world as the OP.

He certainly didn't expect the club to help him out with tickets last time he came over, or to be prioritised over regular fans, and the OP probably doesn't either.

Many exiles from all over the world can only watch City once in a blue moon and quietly fit in a match or 2 around a visit home without any special treatment from the club.

Good luck to the OP in getting tickets for the matches he wants to go to - there'll be no problem with the home games and the best part of his plan imo. is to watch several games rather than just one. From my experience of taking fans to one-off games over many years you can just about guarantee it will coincide with a dreadful City performance that so dampens their enthusiasm they're left wondering by the end how anyone can stand going regularly, as was the case on my brother's last match.

With a plan to watch 3 games the OP can be hopeful at least one of them should be a pretty good City performance and mid Feb looks a reasonable trio of games without the possible ticket complications of trying to include Cardiff away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

One of my brothers lives in the same part of the world as the OP.

He certainly didn't expect the club to help him out with tickets last time he came over, or to be prioritised over regular fans, and the OP probably doesn't either.

Many exiles from all over the world can only watch City once in a blue moon and quietly fit in a match or 2 around a visit home without any special treatment from the club.

Good luck to the OP in getting tickets for the matches he wants to go to - there'll be no problem with the home games and the best part of his plan imo. is to watch several games rather than just one. From my experience of taking fans to one-off games over many years you can just about guarantee it will coincide with a dreadful City performance that so dampens their enthusiasm they're left wondering by the end how anyone can stand going regularly, as was the case on my brother's last match.

With a plan to watch 3 games the OP can be hopeful at least one of them should be a pretty good City performance and mid Feb looks a reasonable trio of games without the possible ticket complications of trying to include Cardiff away.

If you don't try.....you will never know?.  I am not suggesting free tickets and a red carpet welcome.,.just a pleasant request for some possible assistance, you'd be surprised what you can get if you politely ask for a little help from the right person?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

One of my brothers lives in the same part of the world as the OP.

He certainly didn't expect the club to help him out with tickets last time he came over, or to be prioritised over regular fans, and the OP probably doesn't either.

Many exiles from all over the world can only watch City once in a blue moon and quietly fit in a match or 2 around a visit home without any special treatment from the club.

Good luck to the OP in getting tickets for the matches he wants to go to - there'll be no problem with the home games and the best part of his plan imo. is to watch several games rather than just one. From my experience of taking fans to one-off games over many years you can just about guarantee it will coincide with a dreadful City performance that so dampens their enthusiasm they're left wondering by the end how anyone can stand going regularly, as was the case on my brother's last match.

With a plan to watch 3 games the OP can be hopeful at least one of them should be a pretty good City performance and mid Feb looks a reasonable trio of games without the possible ticket complications of trying to include Cardiff away.

Michael Caine Muppets GIF by filmeditor

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To @LandOfSticks, I've been in your shoes, travelling back from living abroad to try and squeeze in some games. One thing I'd suggest if you're concerned about tickets is to check on club membership options. 

I don't think the scheme for this season is announced yet (last seasons was announced on 1 July) but in seasons past its been a £25 payment and it gets you some small bonuses, one of which was priority over general sale for tickets. You're still behind ST holders, but you get a day or two to get in there ahead of the general sale mob. Plus you get a small discount on the extortionate home tickets. 

As I said, you'll need to wait and see whether the new scheme offers the same, but it's a little thing that might help.

This is the link to last season's announcement https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-membership-launched-for-202122/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If you don't try.....you will never know?.  I am not suggesting free tickets and a red carpet welcome.,.just a pleasant request for some possible assistance, you'd be surprised what you can get if you politely ask for a little help from the right person?

Scotty Murray is the right person…he is so good at sorting out these little things.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@EnclosureSurge lived in Caaaanada a while back. Up in the Land of the Midnight Moose, a place called Val d'Or. I don't remember him travelling back for a game, mind it was about a day and a half to reach something resembling what we might recognise as civilisation from there. He used to have to wait for my airmail letters to arrive with news of Ray Atteveld's latest accomplishments. Then he'd write back about seeing a moose strapped to the roof of a large truck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nogbad the Bad Pretty much nailed it. If City has a service of some kind that exists to help people who are traveling, yeah I'll take advantage for sure. But I also have to plan trips to see my hockey team play (Ottawa Senators) since I moved away. I know the drill about traveling to see a chronically disappointing team play in person. 

But unlike Ottawa where I lived for years, I know almost nothing about Bristol or which away days are good, or how to have a good/"proper" match day experience 'cause I haven't been back to Bristol since I was born.

Edited by LandOfSticks
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

Thinking maybe you should contact the club....if someone can take the trouble and expense to travel so far to watch Bristol City FC, the least the club can do is help you out with tickets and information?  Plus it will be good PR for the club, if they have any common sense?

Don't hold your breath 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LandOfSticks said:

@Nogbad the Bad Pretty much nailed it. If City has a service of some kind that exists to help people who are traveling, yeah I'll take advantage for sure. But I also have to plan trips to see my hockey team play (Ottawa Senators) since I moved away. I know the drill about traveling to see a chronically disappointing team play in person. 

But unlike Ottawa where I lived for years, I know almost nothing about Bristol or which away days are good, or how to have a good/"proper" match day experience 'cause I haven't been back to Bristol since I was born.

If I was you I'd avoid the Cardiff game. Apart from the ticket issues there are travel and other restrictions because of crowd trouble in the past which doesn't add up to a relaxing day out, not a typical City awayday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...