IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview

Red Army 75

19 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

He’s the captain of the ship and if losses have occurred on his watch then he should take the wrap for it. Much of this mess is Ashton’s making and SL recruited and employed him. That’s on him.

I’ve not watched the interview but if he’s genuinely said he’s ‘blasé’ about the season then it’s time he sold up and went. We don’t need an owner who is blasé about his most high profile sporting asset. And it’s actually quite demeaning to the thousands who’ve shelled out again in a huge cost of living crisis. I’m actually high blasé to his leadership and tenure at city.  He’s managed to polish a turd (the ground (maybe the HPC) and hats off to him for that) but there little else to show for it.  

And as for concerts and all the other nonsense- if that now floats his boat then it speaks to diminished interest in city more generally. 

Then why comment on the interview ?

The "blase" comment needs to be taken into context with the question and, after 26 years or so of pre-season interviews, I'd be a bit more blase about it. Its not like its his first pre-season is it.

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The "blase" comment needs to be taken into context with the question and, after 26 years or so of pre-season interviews, I'd be a bit more blase about it. Its not like its his first pre-season is it.

I don’t want an owner who is blasé about anything to do with the club. My 35th year of following city and pouring my heard earned in. I’m not blasé about the new season. If SL is it’s time for him to piss off. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Are you blasé about next season? 

40 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He’s also being interviewed over 5 weeks before the season starts. If he was interviewed in the week leading up to the Hull game I’d imagine the excitement from the concerts would have subsided and full focus would be towards the season starting. 

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

He’s the captain of the ship and if losses have occurred on his watch then he should take the wrap for it. Much of this mess is Ashton’s making and SL recruited and employed him. That’s on him.

I’ve not watched the interview but if he’s genuinely said he’s ‘blasé’ about the season then it’s time he sold up and went. We don’t need an owner who is blasé about his most high profile sporting asset. And it’s actually quite demeaning to the thousands who’ve shelled out again in a huge cost of living crisis. I’m actually high blasé to his leadership and tenure at city.  He’s managed to polish a turd (the ground (maybe the HPC) and hats off to him for that) but there little else to show for it.  

And as for concerts and all the other nonsense- if that now floats his boat then it speaks to diminished interest in city more generally. 

Key phrase here is “I’ve not watched the interview…”

Simple answer to that, watch it, and then you won’t waste anyone’s time (including your own) putting words into Lansdown’s mouth, and getting it wrong. He isn’t blase about owning City and he he isn’t “actually quite demeaning” to City fans .

You’ve had an utter shocker here.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, bcdc said:

Is he Peter Hargreaves’ what, exactly?

Hargreaves famously said he supported Brexit as a period of chaos would create good moneymaking opportunities for him. 

Maybe Lansdown was trying to follow the same plan with the Holden appointment? ?‍♂️

• Like 2

I do wonder whether , when listening to recent player arrival interviews , and the aspects that attracted them here, whether he reflects on his failure to act , back , when he asked Danny Wilson what he would do with a million pounds if he gave him it , with Wilson’s reply he’d build a top training ground , (sorry High Performance Centre)

Is it really too much to expect a question or two about how we came to be in such a perilous ffp position, about the disastrous appointment of Dean Holden, about why we now have to go shopping for players in Oxford not Chelsea? 

Of course it is.

All that's brushed under the carpet and airbrushed away in one word - "covid".

What a coward. Maybe it's embarrassment or ego. You don't get to be a billionaire by admitting you got things wrong though, it would seem. 

He can be proud of the infrastructure he's built and putting big gigs on for the city and region but why he has to come on Robins tv to waffle on about it is beyond me.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Is it really too much to expect a question or two about how we came to be in such a perilous ffp position, about the disastrous appointment of Dean Holden, about why we now have to go shopping for players in Oxford not Chelsea? 

Of course it is.

What a coward. Maybe it's embarrassment or ego. You don't get to be a billionaire by admitting you got things wrong though, it would seem. 

He can be proud of the infrastructure he's built and putting big gigs on for the city and region but why he has to come on Robins tv to waffle on about it is beyond me.  

Indeed. 

But if the in house interviewer came out with “so Steve, why did you let Mark Ashton have so much autonomy?” His ass would be travelling out the door quicker than an Alan Walsh free kick. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

My thoughts exactly. Whilst we all appreciate the extra income and revenue the developed stadium has brought - is Robins Tv really the format to be gloating and patting himself on the back about it?

SL has become almost a marmite figure for City fans recently it seems. You have the staunch supporters of him and then you have the doubters and critics, as much as I appreciate the infrastructure he has built for the club I’ve doubted his stewardship for quite a few years now. 

I know people will say there is nothing much in the ‘blasé’ comment but for me the body language said more for me than the comment. He looks and has looked pretty done with the football side of things for a while now - i think the whole MA disaster and then the Holden appointment has broken him somewhat and what ever appetite he did have for the football club has gone.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Of course it is.

For me it seemed like he was wary about talking about football too much for fear of the manager having a pop like happened to Jon! ???

• Haha 2

For an interesting comparison, watch 'Take Us Home', the documentary on Leeds Utd's bid to get back to the PL. I'm not remotely a Leeds fan (far from it) but the comparison between the passion & drive from their owner, Radrizzani, with the Lansdowns is quite stark. That's not a criticism of the Lansdowns by the way, you can't change your personality. But maybe what City have lacked over recent years is that drive from the top. Hence one or two comments from Pearson last season about City being too passive (or words to that effect). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phil_clevedon said:

For an interesting comparison, watch 'Take Us Home', the documentary on Leeds Utd's bid to get back to the PL. I'm not remotely a Leeds fan (far from it) but the comparison between the passion & drive from their owner, Radrizzani, with the Lansdowns is quite stark. That's not a criticism of the Lansdowns by the way, you can't change your personality. But maybe what City have lacked over recent years is that drive from the top. Hence one or two comments from Pearson last season about City being too passive (or words to that effect). 

You reminded me - I watched the below the other day and found it a really enjoyable and interesting watch , that I think may appeal to a few , especially those old enough to remember this period

Its the story of Howard Wilkinson rebuild of Leeds after they dropped into the now Championship , some years post Revie, before winning the League Title in second season back (The last English manager I guess to win the Top title)

The characters he recruited, the personalities and ‘winners’ on the training ground and on the pitch.

SLs tenure certainly hasn't been perfect but in a world where we could be owned by someone we never see, a country with horrible human rights records, or simply run into the ground and potentially losing the club; I will happily take Lansdown. 

Certainly don't think he's as good as he could have been, but who is? I guess I'm just saying careful what you wish for.

• Like 3

Since you and Mr Dawe kicked SC out we have undoubtedly fallen away and are now one of the relegation favs.

Meanwhile your other non football revenue streams will see you ok for the years ahead, BCFC meanwhile are just part of something else now and "Nige" will no doubt bring a few more punters in until the fans see that we arent going anywhere anytime soon due to you being quite happy to be just about where we are now for many years to come.

Cup/promotion winning SC will be a close second to AD`s promotion winning squad that took us to the top div.....a million miles away from where we are now; epic fail on manager selection from you Steve for sure, nothing to smile about from me ?:facepalm:

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

Since you and Mr Dawe kicked SC out we have undoubtedly fallen away and are now one of the relegation favs.

Meanwhile your other non football revenue streams will see you ok for the years ahead, BCFC meanwhile are just part of something else now and "Nige" will no doubt bring a few more punters in until the fans see that we arent going anywhere anytime soon due to you being quite happy to be just about where we are now for many years to come.

Cup/promotion winning SC will be a close second to AD`s promotion winning squad that took us to the top div.....a million miles away from where we are now; epic fail on manager selection from you Steve for sure, nothing to smile about from me ?:facepalm:

When Cotts departed we were one of the relegation favourites, upon Johnson’s departure we were a mid table team, on Holden’s we were facing relation and under Pearson we’re probably at the top of the bottom third. So it’s interesting how you say ‘since’ cotts we’ve fallen away when 2 of 3 managers since have had city higher when they left or at present 

• Like 5

You need a good football man to manage the team and a successful businessman to own and steer the club. We have both.

The main issues with SL have been

1) Employment of MA. You can criticise other appointments but MA was the overriding issue. That’s behind us now.

2) The nepotism of involving his son in the club who is not really up to it (but ineffective is better than harmful)

3) He’s too nice, which has instilled a ‘soft’ club culture. But in appointing NP he has put that right (NP is not a ‘natural appointment for SL so credit to him for overcoming his instinct on that)

Future is bright.

Edited by TedsHeadIs Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1