IGNORED

Bakinson Joins Sheffield Wednesday - Official

GrahamC

Now been confirmed by James Piercy the story some of us had already heard, that he’s training with the U23s & also that Ipswich aren’t interested in taking him back.

Looks like the best solution (unless someone will take him off our hands for good) is that he joins someone on a season long loan until his contract runs out.

The relationship between him & NP has apparently got even worse since his return, he won’t play for us again.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Now been confirmed by James Piercy the story some of us had already heard, that he’s training with the U23s & also that Ipswich aren’t interested in taking him back.

Looks like the best solution (unless someone will take him off our hands for good) is that he joins someone on a season long loan until his contract runs out.

The relationship between him & NP has apparently got even worse since his return, he won’t play for us again.

No cuddles from Nigel on the first day of training then?

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Got something like Plymouth (again) or Cheltenham written all over it on a season's loan hasn't it?

You’d think so.

The only positive is his loan spell at Ipswich wasn’t too bad, so hopefully he’s come to the attention of someone else at that level, plus he & his agent must know now he’s finished here, so he needs to be in the shop window for when his contract finishes.

32 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Such a liability on the ball. Shame really because his desire to play the ball forward is so commendable. Really thought he looked the real deal when he broke through… sadly it didn’t continue. 

I reckon he’ll drop off into obscurity similar to Jordan Wynter. I watched him in his first couple of games and thought he had something only for him to vanish. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I reckon he’ll drop off into obscurity similar to Jordan Wynter. I watched him in his first couple of games and thought he had something only for him to vanish. 

Wow! I just looked him up and he really did almost vanish. He actually played 10 games for a team in the Southern League 1st Division. In comparison being with Dartford in the National League South is a step back up the ladder for him.

Where does the club stand on what we have to offer him?

Obviously he is entitled to his wages but can we say to him he isn't able to use any facilities or train at all with us.

I get this will mean his fitness won't be upto scratch and it may make it harder to loan or sell him but if he is really that bad attitude wise surely it will be better to have him as far away as possible from any players.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Such a liability on the ball. Shame really because his desire to play the ball forward is so commendable. Really thought he looked the real deal when he broke through… sadly it didn’t continue. 

When he’s on the ball I thought he showed some real promise. Used it well, some good through balls, popped up with a few goals. It was his complete lack of movement, urgency and desire off the ball that infuriated most fans, and possibly Nige. 
As much as football fans will forgive a lack of technical ability if a player puts in all the effort possible, they won’t put up with laziness on the pitch. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Quite amazing that Nige thought he deserved a new contract very recently 

To be fair, it wasn’t necessarily “deserving” a new deal, it was that we had a one year option and, IIRC, we utilised it to “protect the value”. 

However, you would have thought that Bakinsons attitude issues were apparent at the time of extension. Clearly, we gambled that he’d do well at Ipswich (his pattern is starting well, getting comfortable and dropping off) and they’d want to buy hence the extension was worth the gamble. The problem in a way is that no matter how well he did, we’ve been very clear we don’t want him back which puts buyers at an advantage.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Ipswich hadn’t taken up the option price, but still intend to buy, and Ashton is playing our situation to try and get Ty for less. We’ve screwed ourselves over a bit here.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Dredd said:

When he’s on the ball I thought he showed some real promise. Used it well, some good through balls, popped up with a few goals. It was his complete lack of movement, urgency and desire off the ball that infuriated most fans, and possibly Nige. 
As much as football fans will forgive a lack of technical ability if a player puts in all the effort possible, they won’t put up with laziness on the pitch. 

Spot on. Moving him on will not be easy if he gets a reputation across the EFL of having a bad attitude. I can only hope feedback any prospective takers can get from Ipswich is more positive than it will be from here. Sadly, if you want rid promote them doesn't really work in football. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Spot on. Moving him on will not be easy if he gets a reputation across the EFL of having a bad attitude. I can only hope feedback any prospective takers can get from Ipswich is more positive than it will be from here. Sadly, if you want rid promote them doesn't really work in football. 

You would think so, but football is full of managers that think they can succeed with a player where others have failed. Mind you, even Ashton won't take Bakinson back, which says something.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Well that decision has backfired hasn’t it!

I’m not sure it has at the moment. The one year extension wouldn’t have likely included a pay rise, and I think there’s still a chance to get a few quid for him. He’s got championship experience, and I think probably still has a reputation as a unrealised talent from his Luton days. Someone’s always willing to take a punt on that kind of player and be the one who gets the best out of them - Palmer, JET (though I think we did - others didn’t), Berahino, Ravell Morrison, etc

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Indeed, however his success rate stats (not the be all and end all) were the worst in the Championship!  There were times when he tried more impossible balls through the eye of a needle than Palmer.  Commendable but not conducive to building decent attacks, especially then when possession is ceded he shows little capability to do his job defensively.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, it wasn’t necessarily “deserving” a new deal, it was that we had a one year option and, IIRC, we utilised it to “protect the value”. 

However, you would have thought that Bakinsons attitude issues were apparent at the time of extension. Clearly, we gambled that he’d do well at Ipswich (his pattern is starting well, getting comfortable and dropping off) and they’d want to buy hence the extension was worth the gamble. The problem in a way is that no matter how well he did, we’ve been very clear we don’t want him back which puts buyers at an advantage.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Ipswich hadn’t taken up the option price, but still intend to buy, and Ashton is playing our situation to try and get Ty for less. We’ve screwed ourselves over a bit here.

Gut feel is he’s not on huge wages.  Signed a 3+1 deal in May 2019 aged 20, so I doubt he commanded silly money then.

The gamble hasn’t worked, but as you say it wasn’t a “new deal”, just a chance to see if we could eke a fee out of someone, or that he might buckle down and make it here.

Someone will take him, either permanently or on loan, and I suspect most if not all of his wages will be covered, so I suspect any loss be tinsy-winsy.

Amortisation-wise, virtually all of his fee to Luton has been “sunk”, so very different to someone like Palmer.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1