IGNORED

Bale to U.S.A

richyy66

Bale is/was probably one of the best players in the World. But I don't think he will ever be remembered like Ronaldo/Messi will, even with his achievements, simply due to him seemingly happy to sit on the bench the last few years. Whereas if he had the same attitude and application as those players I think he would be bang up there with them, but it seems to me that is his biggest failing. Some could quite easily call that a waste, but I'm not getting into that argument.  

Also surely he would have had one or two B'allon d'ors to his name if he was that good, assuming he would qualify (I'm unsure what qualifications are required)?

Ps - Unlucky Cardiff.

Edited by TheReds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Bale is/was probably one of the best players in the World. But I don't think he will ever be remembered like Ronaldo/Messi will, even with his achievements, simply due to him seemingly happy to sit on the bench the last few years. Whereas if he had the same attitude and application as those players I think he would be bang up there with them, but it seems to me that is his biggest failing. Some could quite easily call that a waste, but I'm not getting into that argument.  

Also surely he would have had one or two B'allon d'ors to his name if he was that good, assuming he would qualify (I'm unsure what qualifications are required)?

Ps - Unlucky Cardiff.

He doesn’t need any B’allon d’ors when he has welsh player of the year 85 times as people here have proved me wrong 

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

Ps - Unlucky Cardiff.

He's miles off Messi's level, a million miles. But so's every player on the planet, so no shame in that.

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

Ps - Unlucky Cardiff.

I think that is a fair comment. Both Ronaldo and Messi could easily have retired and enjoyed their success and wealth.

But they are both very driven individuals, which, is questionable with Bale.

3 hours ago, TheReds said:

Ps - Unlucky Cardiff.

Not being Messi or Ronaldo doesn’t mean he’s not world class. Nobody is arguing that he is THE best player in the world.

12 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Honours

Tottenham Hotspur

Real Madrid

Individual

Bale was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2022 Birthday Honoursfor services to association football and charity.[348]

what a waster

Yeah, but apart from that? ? 

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

But they are both very driven individuals, which, is questionable with Bale.

But thats OK isn't it? If he was at Real Madrid, felt under appreciated by the fans, staff, etc and his motivation went. this just a normal human reaction surely. As far as I'm aware he never refused to play, but instead of putting that extra dedication in, he went and did something he enjoyed in golf. It's not his fault Real Madrid offered him a £500k p/w contract.

I don't do this often, as he comes across as a mouldy old git most of the time, but I actually agree with @joe jordans teeth

Bale had the attributes to be one of the greats, as it is he's had a decent career but never hit the heights he should have done.

Rather than actually playing a meaningful part for (most of) the honours he has won he has been happy to sit back and take the money.

This last move shows he is more about the money than the football.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I don't do this often, as he comes across as a mouldy old git most of the time, but I actually agree with @joe jordans teeth

Bale had the attributes to be one of the greats, as it is he's had a decent career but never hit the heights he should have done.

Rather than actually playing a meaningful part for (most of) the honours he has won he has been happy to sit back and take the money.

This last move shows he is more about the money than the football.

He still is one of the greats. Could have done even more but he is still a Real Madrid legend and almost certainly the best British player ever. His trophy cabinet, and his influence on winning those trophies, speaks for itself.

He'll be remembered by a lot of people for how his time in Madrid ended, however anyone that actually watched him knows exactly how good he was.

12 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Not being Messi or Ronaldo doesn’t mean he’s not world class. Nobody is arguing that he is THE best player in the world.

The point being is he possibly could have been, if he had the same attitude and application as Ronaldo or Messi. Didn't seem to care if he played or not the last few years, and he could have quite easily moved, pushed himself, and played regular football in another top side, feel wanted by the club and fans, but that would have meant he would have to survive on about 250-300 grand per week I expect.

15 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Name 99 other British players that have won 5 champions leagues, played for Real Madrid and been the most expensive player in the world ?

Actually name just one…

That wasn't what @KegCity said, he claimed Bale to be the best British player ever.

Of course I'm not going to name 99 but there are more than enough that deserve that accolade ahead of Gareth Bale.

Would you honestly put Bale ahead of (for example) George Best, Bobby Charlton, Stanley Matthews, Paul Gascoigne, Duncan Edwards, Gerry Gow, Kevin Keegan, Bobby Moore, Steve Neville, Kenny Dalglish, Alan Walsh or John Barnes.......?

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

That wasn't what @KegCity said, he claimed Bale to be the best British player ever.

Of course I'm not going to name 99 but there are more than enough that deserve that accolade ahead of Gareth Bale.

Would you honestly put Bale ahead of (for example) George Best, Bobby Charlton, Stanley Matthews, Paul Gascoigne, Duncan Edwards, Gerry Gow, Kevin Keegan, Bobby Moore, Steve Neville, Kenny Dalglish, Alan Walsh or John Barnes.......?

Comparing players from different generations is impossible and highly subjective. All the players you list above wouldn’t last 90 minutes in the Champions league, due to fitness levels required in the modern game.

Bale played for the biggest club In the world and was the most expensive player in the word. He has also won loads. To suggest he isn’t one of Britains best players seems odd to me. Is he better than Stan Matthews? Who knows

31 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Comparing players from different generations is impossible and highly subjective. All the players you list above wouldn’t last 90 minutes in the Champions league, due to fitness levels required in the modern game.

Bale played for the biggest club In the world and was the most expensive player in the word. He has also won loads. To suggest he isn’t one of Britains best players seems odd to me. Is he better than Stan Matthews? Who knows

Being the most expensive player in the world has nothing to do with being the best whatsoever.

He spent 8-9 years at Real Madrid, and played, on average, 18 games a season.

I am not denying he has been a very good player, I just don't think he can be regarded as one of the greats.

• Like 1

Most of them, yes. Best is certainly worthy of the title too, as are Charlton and Moore. Don't think there's a right answer between those three in fairness.

The rest of the ones you mentioned aren't on the same level. Rooney would be a better shout than any of the others on your list.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Yes it's very hard. Football is continually evolving and many of the legends of the last 20 years would have to adapt to the pace etc of today. Can't look past 5 champions league wins, being vital to Real winning at least 2 of them for Bale being the best though. Its also based on just watching Bale play. If he was English we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Like 1

Being the most expensive player in the world has nothing to do with being the best whatsoever.

He spent 8-9 years at Real Madrid, and played, on average, 18 games a season.

I am not denying he has been a very good player, I just don't think he can be regarded as one of the greats.

Pretty sure it's more than 18? 258 appearances for them.

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Most of them, yes. Best is certainly worthy of the title too, as are Charlton and Moore. Don't think there's a right answer between those three in fairness.

The rest of the ones you mentioned aren't on the same level. Rooney would be a better shout than any of the others on your list.

Yes it's very hard. Football is continually evolving and many of the legends of the last 20 years would have to adapt to the pace etc of today. Can't look past 5 champions league wins, being vital to Real winning at least 2 of them for Bale being the best though. Its also based on just watching Bale play. If he was English we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Completely agree with that last line.