IGNORED

Football Analysis: Are We Pacesetters?

handsofclay

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It didn't show anything of the sort. Even the simplest freely available data showed that he was going through a purple patch that was unlikely to continue and was largely happening because of the way QPR's midfield operated behind him.

But the humans thought he'd be brilliant so here he came.

Yes, career average more like 1 in 4 before he joined us I think despite the purple patch. Another vanity signing by the Ashton/Johnson partnership.

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

Yep. It’s just that data doesn’t really work well where humans are concerned.

I bet the data showed that Nahki Wells would score every couple of games before he joined City? That stat soon went out of the window.

I bet detailed football data had very little to do with Wells’s signing.  I suspect “pound sign” data and the fact he was owned by Burnley (who wanted Brownhill) had much more to do with it….don’t you?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Personally the only stats worth anything are the ones on the scoreboard and everything else is just utter tosh and I’ll state my reasons why:-

Footballers are humans, not machines and therefore are prone to loss in confidence, illness, other issues such as whether they get on with certain players in a team or the manager.

What about other player’s trust? They might not fancy passing to someone too much who might be a liability?

Regardless of however many blades of grass a players covers if you don’t score goals the stats are worthless.

Brian Clough had it right. Get in players heads, let them relax and rest at times, tell them that they are better players than they are, keep it simple.

Football is such a simple game, score more goals than the opposition, but start from having a solid defence. Aim to keep the ball in the opposition’s half.

The rest of the things you need you can see with a good eye.

Stats just waste hours of someone’s life that they will never get back to produce pictures that are confusing to those trying to get any meaning from it….plus it ain’t winning you any more matches!

Yeah.

And we're gonna play four, four, ****** two.