IGNORED

Gazza

Akira

Watched the 2 part documentary on Paul Gascoigne on BBC iplayer last night, thought it was really good. I'm 34, so much of his playing career was just too early for me sadly, I started watching around Euro 96.

Some of the early game footage I've never seen, looked incredibly silky and skillful. 

Being young, had no idea of the scandal and underhanded tactics of the tabloids, which without a doubt played a part in driving Gazza to the brink. 

If you've not seen it yet, definitely worth watching. Piers Morgan features in this, had no idea he played his vile part in the downfall of Gazza, trying to set up situations to create a story, horrid, horrid man. 

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Akira said:

I started watching around Euro 96.

In an ideal world, at the end of England v Scotland in Euro 96, the ground would have opened up and swallowed Gazza. He would then forever be remembered for all the right reasons. 

In the dying moments of the semi v Germany, if his leg had been just a few inches longer, he would have connected with that cross and put England in the Final.

There sis a clip somewhere on youtube of Gazza playing alongside our Brian Tinnion when they were clubmates.

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

in Euro 96....

In the dying moments of the semi v Germany, if his leg had been just a few inches longer, he would have connected with that cross and put England in the Final.

I was there! I was right in line with the cross. I still have flashbacks and why he didn't score. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Akira said:

Watched the 2 part documentary on Paul Gascoigne on BBC iplayer last night, thought it was really good. I'm 34, so much of his playing career was just too early for me sadly, I started watching around Euro 96.

Some of the early game footage I've never seen, looked incredibly silky and skillful. 

Being young, had no idea of the scandal and underhanded tactics of the tabloids, which without a doubt played a part in driving Gazza to the brink. 

If you've not seen it yet, definitely worth watching. Piers Morgan features in this, had no idea he played his vile part in the downfall of Gazza, trying to set up situations to create a story, horrid, horrid man. 

Piers Morgan is vile . The Gazza thing was the tip of the ice burg for that horrible *** . He’s got lots of previous 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Akira said:

He was half the player in 96 (Still very decent) that he was in 89/90/91prior to his injury

A genius who could make the ball talk

I had the privilege of seeing him on the training pitch at Italia 90 , in Sardinia and he was something else with a ball and in his behaviour 

A cross between Maradona and Lee Evans  

He was absolutely brilliant with the fans , as many as photos and signatures as people wanted , jumping the security fence so fans , could take photos with him.

He was a totally unique talent , and best English player I’ve seen ,prior to that injury *

Could burst past players in spades , pass any distance , hit a ball sweet as a nut , and was full of beans and energy

Foden will push that accolade i

• Like 5

Great talent without a doubt

Only ? i have about him is this

Real great players turn up in the real big games

His biggest games were the FA Cup final v Forest and he crocked himself when unable to control himself

and World cup Semi v Germany where he lost the plot when booked

Only my opinion 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Still for me the most talented footballer this country has produced.

Hoddle

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

His biggest games were the FA Cup final v Forest and he crocked himself when unable to control himself

Only my opinion 

Hoddle

Prob only he can be in the argument.

45 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

The tabloids haven't changed. Just become more sneaky about it as more eyes are watching them. 

All they care about is clickbait, sensationalist headlines and money. Absolutely no f**ks given for who they destroy.

Remember when they tried to stitch up that young girl Tulisa? 
just wanted to ruin someone’s career!

28 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Only my opinion 

Hoddle

Regarding the Cup Final , I think you have a fair point , less so the WC semi where , and after a very good performance , he got himself together and did fine

But remember , not only had he just broken into International football , but he he was 19/20 and was a big kid with a unique nervous energy (Stories of other players recalling how at WC he’d knock in their door asking them to play tennis .... at 3am! ?)

In that World Cup He was pivotal , not necessarily for a goal or historical moments , but as our energy ,drive and ‘vibe’ and our constant threat to the opposition , (besides keeping the whole squad entertained !)

He was only just starting , and learning and sadly , because of that drive and nervous energy he caused himself the injury in the cup final and we never got to see what he could have been.

Hoddle was a beautiful talented player with some mouthwatering technique, but he didn’t have some of Gazzas ability to drive past players with ease or frighten teams like Gazza   

I saw both , live , at World Cups and a very young Gazza stood out more than Hoddle 

All just my thought

• Like 4

I was lucky enough to see him a couple of times play for Newcastle and remains one of the best players I’ve seen live.

I can remember telling anyone who would listen how he was going to win us the World Cup in Italy. Even then, around 1989, there were many who thought he shouldn’t be in the squad because he couldn’t be relied on.

I was quick to remind those people as the 1990 tournament unfolded and he quickly became the star player. I could watch him all day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Akira said:

Piers Morgan denies he was having sex with his wife during his hayday though, I think at the time Gazza was this countries hero in terms of football,  but good old Piers comes across as very English/British 

7 hours ago, Akira said:

Does it include him doing "Fog on the Tyne" in his shellsuit? @glynriley might be able to tell us?

16 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Newcastle united, Gazza doing Lindisfarne. What's the Bristol equivalent? 

Um…pass. 

Unless I missed Forbes Phillipson-Masters performing with Vice Squad back in the day?

Theres also this of course…

Edited by glynriley
  • Haha 3

I watched several England friendlies up at Wembley when Graham Taylor was manager.

Gazza was so much better better than all the other players that the England tactic was "give the ball to Gazza".

Post war the only UK players IMHO who were unquestionably world class were George Best, Bobby Moore and Gazza prior to his (self-inflicted) knee injury.

8 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I watched several England friendlies up at Wembley when Graham Taylor was manager.

Gazza was so much better better than all the other players that the England tactic was "give the ball to Gazza".

Post war the only UK players IMHO who were unquestionably world class were George Best, Bobby Moore and Gazza prior to his (self-inflicted) knee injury.

Bobby Charlton?

Arguably better than everyone on that list, though Best runs him close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Bobby Charlton?

Arguably better than everyone on that list, though Best runs him close.

We all know how good Bobby was, but I still don’t think he gets enough credit…he was a fantastic footballer, one of the very, very best ever.  

• Like 1

On 26/06/2022 at 13:51, Norn Iron said:

I was there! I was right in line with the cross. I still have flashbacks and why he didn't score. 

I was there too, courtesy of a couple of tickets from Divvy (although he will always be Mark to me) . My abiding memory of the game , was just how loud it was at the start of the game. So much so, that when England scored early, it didn't seem to get any louder!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was there too, courtesy of a couple of tickets from Divvy (although he will always be Mark to me). My abiding memory of the game , was just how loud it was at the start of the game. So much so, that when England scored early, it didn't seem to get any louder!

Wow, that is quite a statement.

I have never met you or Divvy, but, like many on here I am sure, know that you are a staunch Rovers supporter and that the late Divvy was a similarly staunch City supporter, with a somewhat colourful past if the various stories are believed. 

It is quite revealing and uplifting to read that team rivalries can be overcome in such good spirit, and this was, of course, more than twenty years ago, when rivalries were still quite intense.