IGNORED

How would you set up (as of now)?

RedRoss

If the season started today with no more incoming's who would you start.

I would go with a 3 5 2:

Bentley

Klose Naismith Atkinson

Wilson           Williams                Pring

Scott        James

Weimann        Martin

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I would go with a 3 5 2:

Bentley

Klose Naismith Atkinson

Scott        James

Weimann        Martin

Back three as Atkinson/Kalas-Klose-Naismith, Dasilva in for Pring. The rest is pretty much spot on.
See if there are any surprises that come out of pre-season though.

I think I'd go (5212):

Bentley; Wilson, Atkinson, Klose, Naismith, Pring; Williams, Scott; Weimann; Conway, Martin.

Couple of slightly left-field shouts but I really rate Pring as LWB, even over Jay. I'd also be reticent to move Andi away from that number 10 role, hence playing Conway to partner Martin. I think Conway has a bit about him. 

Worth mentioning, I absolutely don't think this would be the XI Nige would opt for, just a personal preference.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

3-5-2

Bentley, 

Kalas, Klose, Naismith

Wilson, Williams, Scott, Weimann, Dasilva

Martin Wells

Still think Kalas is our best defender so imo has to start.

Me too.

Only caveat (as ever) is Williams, might have to be James, depending on how confident we are about his fitness.

• Like 1

Bentley

Kalas    Klose    Naismith

Wilson                                 DaSilva

Williams    James

Weimann

Wells     Martin

Harsh on Atkinson but believe they are our best 3 CBs so they have to start.  Weimann scored 20 goals last season playing in that position so for me had to start there and I'll be honest, I think Scott will take a few weeks getting up to speed following the Euros. When Scott is fully fit you have the option to swap him for Wells (and move AW up) or one of James/Williams.

Depending on any outgoings, think we are a Right footed CB and CM away from a decent squad with some flexibility. Think the concern at the moment for me is still right back, not sure I'd trust any of our options in a Back 4 and wouldn't want to take Kalas from CB... As we have no wingers however, I don't think we can play 4 at the back as would be very narrow and predicatble

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

I would go with a 3 5 2:

Bentley

Klose Naismith Atkinson

Scott        James

Weimann        Martin

Depends on who we are playing really 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s really bad, and maybe I’m speaking too soon, but it’s really hard to see us being at the wrong end of the table with any of the above line ups. We’ll see I guess. 

really hope you are right, I'm just not brave enough to type it ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedRoss said:

I would go with a 3 5 2:

Bentley

Klose Naismith Atkinson

Scott        James

Weimann        Martin

Yep, assuming everyone is available I’d opt for the same line up.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s really bad, and maybe I’m speaking too soon, but it’s really hard to see us being at the wrong end of the table with any of the above line ups. We’ll see I guess. 

Im of the same opinion to be honest. We should have more than enough in this squad to finish comfortably in the top 10 Imho.

I suspect Nige is looking to play a 4-2-3-1 at some point in the future, something like:

Bentley

Wilson    Klose   Naismith  Dasilva

James    Williams

Weimann      Scott     Semenyo

Martin

Sykes taking Semenyo's place while he is injured.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HiddenGem7 said:

I suspect Nige is looking to play a 4-2-3-1 at some point in the future, something like:

Bentley

James    Williams

Martin

Based on what?

Wilson & Dasilva are wing backs, not full backs.

He says he wants another CB, presumably to replace Cundy.

That all strongly suggests a back 3/5 with wing backs to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiddenGem7 said:

Bentley

James    Williams

Martin

I wondered when someone might mention a flat 4 with the 231. I think it's quite possible. Naismith can play a true LB role (so in your picture I'd drop Dasilva, shift Klose and Naismith to the left and bring in Kalas at right CB), and as you say Wilson has played a true RB (although was mainly RWB last season I think). I think it's a viable formation for us to play, and Pearson has used it at City as well, for example in the early parts of last season when Dasilva was injured. 

I think it raises questions around who plays on the flanks of the 3 in midfield, but I don't think those are questions that cannot be answered, although it is harder to answer them whilst Semenyo is injured. For example in the formation you lay out, who would you put in LM right at this minute?

Is 4231 the best formation for us...I'm not sure...but I think it could well be the best formation for us to use against certain opposition.

Edited by ExiledAjax

27 minutes ago, HiddenGem7 said:

Pearson has said a few times in interview that he likes a back four but hasn't had the personnel - presumably his recruitment may be to remedy that.  Wilson played in a back four last season. Agree with you about Dasilva - maybe that's where Naismith will play? 

FGR played with three centre backs and wing backs.

15 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

FGR played with three centre backs and wing backs.

They played a few different formations. Yes in some games they played 3 at the back with a midfield four with Wilson on the right, and in other games they played a back four with Wilson at FB, just as I said.  I didn't say he exclusively played in a four.

6 minutes ago, HiddenGem7 said:

They played a few different formations. Yes in some games they played 3 at the back with a midfield four with Wilson on the right, and in other games they played a back four with Wilson at FB, just as I said.  I didn't say he exclusively played in a four.

I know what you said. Everywhere I can see they didn't play a back four at any point but rotated as you said three different formations all with 3 centre backs

1 hour ago, HiddenGem7 said:

Bentley

James    Williams

Martin

⬇️⬇️⬇️

37 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I wondered when someone might mention a flat 4 with the 231. I think it's quite possible. Naismith can play a true LB role (so in your picture I'd drop Dasilva, shift Klose and Naismith to the left and bring in Kalas at right CB), and as you say Wilson has played a true RB (although was mainly RWB last season I think). I think it's a viable formation for us to play, and Pearson has used it at City as well, for example in the early parts of last season when Dasilva was injured. 

I think it raises questions around who plays on the flanks of the 3 in midfield, but I don't think those are questions that cannot be answered, although it is harder to answer them whilst Semenyo is injured. For example in the formation you lay out, who would you put in LM right at this minute?

Is 4231 the best formation for us...I'm not sure...but I think it could well be the best formation for us to use against certain opposition.

I think playing Antoine Semenyo as a left forward would be the biggest waste of his value to the team ever.  And same on the other flank with Andi Weimann.

But this thread is about what “you’d do” not me, not Nige…and all opinions are valid and welcome.

I haven’t really thought too much about line-ups, although Nige has said a couple of things that makes me feel pretty sure he aims to start with a back 3.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think playing Antoine Semenyo as a left forward would be the biggest waste of his value to the team ever.  And same on the other flank with Andi Weimann.

But this thread is about what “you’d do” not me, not Nige…and all opinions are valid and welcome.

I haven’t really thought too much about line-ups, although Nige has said a couple of things that makes me feel pretty sure he aims to start with a back 3.

Agreed, as I said, the left and right forward positions are hard to answer when you lay out a 4231 with this squad. I suspect in practice you'd end up with it being closer to a 433 as the two wider attackers push forward and come central and the attacking centre midfielder sits in. 

Regardless, I'd too rather see Semenyo and Weimann play more centrally as it is there that they both had success last season. That does naturally push you towards having two forwards centrally (especially whilst we have Martin & Weimann as Semenyo recovers), and as the fashion for a classic 442 is long gone, the natural formation is to go 3 at the back with wing backs to deliver width. Therefore we arrive at a 352, and we've certainly recruited players that can fit that formation. But I think 4231/433 will be viable in certain games or at certain points of certain games. It might not be ideal as a starting formation, but I could well see us ending like that in some matches.

I wasn't really answering OPs question tbh. I didn't say what would do. That's my admission of tangent dealt with.

I think, given the rationale I lay out in this post, I probably would go with the consensus on this thread and look for us to go 352 as a broad, general rule.

Edited by ExiledAjax

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

You’re spot on.

Pearson also categorically stated he saw Naismith as a CB, not LB, when interviewed last week.