IGNORED

How would you set up (as of now)?

RedRoss

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s really bad, and maybe I’m speaking too soon, but it’s really hard to see us being at the wrong end of the table with any of the above line ups. We’ll see I guess. 

I hope you're correct but the only changes that seems to be being made are Naismith who I think adds quality and Wilson who has a lot to prove, mainly in place of Semenyo and COD, I don't think that is enough to move us up the table much - especially as the bottom half of the championship seems a lot more competitive this season and we may also get a points deduction.

But I'm always pessimistic this time of year and that means I can enjoy the season being a bit better than expected ?.

6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s really bad, and maybe I’m speaking too soon, but it’s really hard to see us being at the wrong end of the table with any of the above line ups. We’ll see I guess. 

Its the hope that kills us, but we finished 17th last season and brought in 3 players, only 1 of which has played in the championship before. We have no money and are looking for free transfers from lower leagues,, i cant really see how there will be much improvement in the new season…. Would love to be proved wrong though!

10 hours ago, Pezo said:

I hope you're correct but the only changes that seems to be being made are Naismith who I think adds quality and Wilson who has a lot to prove, mainly in place of Semenyo and COD, I don't think that is enough to move us up the table much - especially as the bottom half of the championship seems a lot more competitive this season and we may also get a points deduction.

But I'm always pessimistic this time of year and that means I can enjoy the season being a bit better than expected ?.

I can't see a points deduction, but we're only talking 3 or 4 points anyway.

I agree that we've not made the squad stronger, but we have addressed a glaring positional problem at RB/RWB with a fit Tanner and Wilson coming in. This will free up Scott to play midfield which will make us a better side. May be more to come as well.

The form at the end of the season was good, losing just one of the last six and getting 11 points.

I'm cautiously optimistic for a few places higher than17th.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Pezo said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I applaud everyone's optimism but i'm struggling to see where the vast improvement is going to come from.

For large parts of last season we were fairly clueless and it was the reintroduction of Semenyo that changed our fortunes.

IF Semenyo returns to fitness fairly quickly and IF Nige manages to improve our defensive organisation then we might be a mid table side, but the division will be very tough again.

After all, its the hope that kills us... COYR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I can't see a points deduction, but we're only talking 3 or 4 points anyway.

I agree that we've not made the squad stronger, but we have addressed a glaring positional problem at RB/RWB with a fit Tanner and Wilson coming in. This will free up Scott to play midfield which will make us a better side. May be more to come as well.

The form at the end of the season was good, losing just one of the last six and getting 11 points.

I'm cautiously optimistic for a few places higher than17th.

I feel a squad that has Naismith added and O’Dowda removed is stronger.  That’s not a slight on O’Dowda nor am I comparing them like for like.  I see a genuine first team starter added and a squad member leaving.  Add in Wilson to compete with Tanner, to allow Scott to play in midfield (as you say) strengthens us too.  A fit Williams couid turn us into a top 10 team based on his involvement last season. It’s a big if, but he is actually getting to do pre-season this time around, something he’s not been able to do so far.  With him on the pitch we average 1.86 points per game.  That is significant, it’s top 6 (85 points).  I don’t know yet the impact Sykes will make.  Plus I expect another couple of signings to improve upon those that go out the door.  Everytime we do that transaction (one better in, one worse out) we are improving the squad.

• Like 2

I am inclined to go 3-5-2 of some kind or 3-4-2-1 but at the same time I have a natural bias towards 4-3-3.

Dunno if we include Semenyo- injured- or Kalas and Massengo, question marks over their future for financial reasons if nothing else in potential sides. Anyway if those 3 not part of it for Day 1 say.

Bentley

Klose Naismith Atkinson

Wilson James Williams DaSilva

Scott

Weimann Martin

In certain phases that can morph relatively seamlessly- Wilson and DaSilva drop a bit, Naismith steps up into a 3 in CM- could even have Scott and Weimann as freeish inside forwards behind Martin- clearly if Kalas, Massengo and Semenyo in consideration the options will increase considerably.

It's not perfect and out of possession I still see concerns with both ie 2 v 1...a morph might look a bit like. 

Bentley

Wilson Klose Atkinson DaSilva

James Williams Naismith

Scott

Weimann Martin

If Scott drops, Naismith pulls left and occasionally out of possession Weimann helps out that can at least protect the fullbacks a little. Sure there are better ways but that starting XI can switch a bit in game and be quite versatile.

In practice, the third one perhaps a bit too far but in theory...

Bentley

Wilson Klose Atkinson DaSilva

James Williams Scott

Weimann            Naismith

Martin

This last in-game switch is quite remote but in theory has balance and can cover some areas out of possession- certainly not a starting formation but something to switch to in certain phases...although possibly not really.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous