IGNORED

Football Scene from “Kes”

exAtyeoMax

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliantly written by Ken Loach, brilliantly acted by Brian Glover.

Absolutely resonates with anyone (like me) who grew up in the 70s, because loads of PE teachers were a bit like this.

Me too. I had a PE teacher just like this. Strange times when I think back. 

The weirdest, was after playing footy or Rugger and caked in mud, we were made to run through the showers, and threatened with the dap if we didn't get dried and changed within a couple minutes. 

He'd literally stand watching at shower entrance with dap in hand. 

Very very odd...

But back then it was taken as normal.

Birthdays were the worst...you'd get dragged the length of two pitches, given the bumps, then the wall of death, where your class would like up a meter away from a wall in a line, and you had to run the length between wall and them, whilst they all kicked and punched you ???

Different times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

At Churchill Comprehensive in the 70’s the trick was actually getting onto a football pitch. Our PE teachers were obsessed with rugby, believing that represented, in every respect, a higher form of social/moral activity. I was big and fast enough to play rugby well. But  as City were in the top flight then, all I wanted to do was kick a round ball, so this provoked real resentment- and a lasting dislike of ‘rugger.’

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

The weirdest, was after playing footy or Rugger and caked in mud, we were made to run through the showers, and threatened with the dap if we didn't get dried and changed within a couple minutes. 

Very very odd...

Birthdays were the worst...you'd get dragged the length of two pitches, given the bumps, then the wall of death, where your class would like up a meter away from a wall in a line, and you had to run the length between wall and them, whilst they all kicked and punched you ???

Different times.

I had one PE teacher who during rugby games lessons would periodically blow his whistle and check where you were on the pitch relative to your position in the team. If he thought you were out position you got dapped. He also used to stand at the shower entrance dap in hand and took delight in dapping a wet ass for any minor misdemeanour. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Very very odd...

Different times.

hilarious - i experienced a range of Birthday celebrations, from the bumps to the 'gob squad' which involved you getting spat on by a whole bunch of ********.

At our school things got out of hand when a chap called Micheal Morris got chucked out of a first floor window of the art block on his birthday. he broke his arm (understandably) and they had to try and crack down on the rampant random, and quite ingenious, acts of violence often handed out.

(Micheal Morris also had his front teeth broken in another Birthday related incident - i hope he grew up not hating birthday parties...!)

Such fond memories....!

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

At Churchill Comprehensive in the 70’s the trick was actually getting onto a football pitch. Our PE teachers were obsessed with rugby, believing that represented, in every respect, a higher form of social/moral activity. I was big and fast enough to play rugby well. But  as City were in the top flight then, all I wanted to do was kick a round ball, so this provoked real resentment- and a lasting dislike of ‘rugger.’

oh, all this is so familiar.

We had a sadistic PE teacher who made use go out on a totally frozen rugby pitch and shuffle along in a line on our bare knees passing the ball down the line, we all ended up with cut and bruised legs - he said it was to toughen us up.

I did get revenge (albeit accidentally) when during a strange term, they introduced Golf (!?!) which involved these big fibre glass cones which we had to hit/chip the balls into. unable to resist, i wellied the golf ball across the pitch, only to see it slice off and strike the PE teacher firmly on the side of the head. No - one saw me do it - but it gave me a real warm glow of achievement.

I am still as shit at Golf now,  happy to play it. unlike rugby.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Same at my school, the PE teacher (Welsh) hated football, which he always dismissively called “soccer” and took no interest in it & even refused to teach it. 

Fair to say too that he hated me & I hated him, he was a big cheese with Bristol rugby for years, passed away at a very old age (90s) recently.

As a result we were taken for it by a history teacher (Mancunian, Man U fan) but it was seen very much as the second winter sport.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Antman said:

hilarious - i experienced a range of Birthday celebrations, from the bumps to the 'gob squad' which involved you getting spat on by a whole bunch of ********.

At our school things got out of hand when a chap called Micheal Morris got chucked out of a first floor window of the art block on his birthday. he broke his arm (understandably) and they had to try and crack down on the rampant random, and quite ingenious, acts of violence often handed out.

(Micheal Morris also had his front teeth broken in another Birthday related incident - i hope he grew up not hating birthday parties...!)

Such fond memories....!

Not school but when I worked for McDonalds in the mid 90’s, they had a thing when somebody left, on their last shift everyone in the kitchen would spray them with Big Mac Source (which burns if left on skin), and chuck them in the big sink with the washing up at the end of their shift.  

The extra kicker was that the ‘victims’ change of clothes had also been put in a bucket of water and put in the walk-in freezer a few hours before, so when they went to get changed they were presented with their change of clothes in an ice cube!  

After 4 years witnessing this I didn’t tell anyone accept the main boss I was leaving and kept my head down on my final shift, walking out as clean as a whistle!  Not sure you would get away with this sort of thing these days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antman said:

Such fond memories....!

I remember boys getting “wedged” against the trunk of the trees at junior school in the 1970s. God, kids are cruel!! ???

• Haha 1

When we were new at secondary school we were in one of our first Rugby 'games' sessions.

The sports master said he was going to demonstrate tackling and told a slightly built boy to pick up the ball and run at him. 

'Watch me carefully boys, this is how you tackle'.

The boy ran at him but as he swerved to try and get past him the sports master dived and thumped into him, taking him down at about knee height before landing heavily on top of him.

The boy was left whimpering on the ground with a broken leg before being carted off in an emergency ambulance.

In the mid-80s our games teacher was a rugby man (and a bully at that), and woe betide anyone who wasn't any good at it or hated it as I did (same with cross country, he would literally make you run until your legs buckled).  You would not get away with it now, and he didn't get away with it then my dad found out what he was doing and literally went up the school and pinned him against the wall (a surprising event in itself as my dad is the most mild-mannered of men, I didn't have any problems after that!).

I got away with the birthday 'fun', birthday was always in the six weeks holiday so was forgotten about by the time term started again!

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliantly written by Ken Loach, brilliantly acted by Brian Glover.

Absolutely resonates with anyone (like me) who grew up in the 70s, because loads of PE teachers were a bit like this.

I've just recalled the end of term Rugby match. Teachers v School rugby team.

It was total carnage.

Lads putting in punches and raking the teachers. And the same from the teachers. Whole school watched. Total blood bath.

Also the time one lad got a javelin in his back by some lad mucking about.

Wedges were a normal day experience.

Getting a broom handle put through the arms and back of your blazer whilst you were in it, then hung from cloths pegs in a cross position whilst having items lobbed at you.

Pretty much every initiation for a first year pupil. 

Then we had a stunningly beautiful stand in French teacher.

One lesson...Maurice got his dick out and started Wan king...Gary fainted. Maurice got cane and suspended ?????

Funny days

Edited by spudski
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was total carnage.

Lads putting in punches and raking the teachers. And the same from the teachers. Whole school watched. Total blood bath.

Getting a broom handle put through the arms and back of your blazer whilst you were in it, then hung from cloths pegs in a cross position whilst having items lobbed at you.

One lesson...Maurice got his dick out and started Wan king...Gary fainted. Maurice got cane and suspended ?????

Funny days

Play school was a tough learning place ???

• Haha 5

The most creative sport-related bullying invented at our school was "Davros-ing".

Involved securing the victim into the teachers chair using a combination of hockey sticks and school scarves, placing an upturned bin over the head  to render said victim blind, then commencing a game of human shuffleboard, taking turns to slide the half-man / half-dalek along the polished top corridor to see who could fire the victim the closest to the open precipice at the top of the stone stairs.

The disappointment was palpable when you over shot your go, and were disqualified (as a screaming Davros plunged down the staircase....)

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It was total carnage.

Funny days

A lad at my school copped a javelin in the nutsack.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Interesting. My Dad was actually deputy head there in that era, and a City season ticket holder.

Lots of similar stories from my school days but perhaps the craziest one was when a kid in my brother’s year told a teacher to f!@k off. The teacher got him round the neck and proceeded to slam his head repeatedly with the changing room door - like Vinnie Jones with the car door in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

Nothing happened to the teacher and he kept his job there for many years after.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

When we were new at secondary school we were in one of our first Rugby 'games' sessions.

The sports master said he was going to demonstrate tackling and told a slightly built boy to pick up the ball and run at him. 

'Watch me carefully boys, this is how you tackle'.

The boy ran at him but as he swerved to try and get past him the sports master dived and thumped into him, taking him down at about knee height before landing heavily on top of him.

The boy was left whimpering on the ground with a broken leg before being carted off in an emergency ambulance.

3 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

The most creative sport-related bullying invented at our school was "Davros-ing".

Involved securing the victim into the teachers chair using a combination of hockey sticks and school scarves, placing an upturned bin over the head  to render said victim blind, then commencing a game of human shuffleboard, taking turns to slide the half-man / half-dalek along the polished top corridor to see who could fire the victim the closest to the open precipice at the top of the stone stairs.

The disappointment was palpable when you over shot your go, and were disqualified (as a screaming Davros plunged down the staircase....)

What a horrible school you both attended!

I am intrigued as to the identity of the sports master, I can only think of one who might fit the bill - a geography master, although he was actually a very nice man.

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

What a horrible school you both attended!

I am intrigued as to the identity of the sports master, I can only think of one who might fit the bill - a geography master, although he was actually a very nice man.

He was a Biology teacher and was indeed a nice chap as far as I remember.

Just got carried away in his determination to make the tackle and forgot his comparative strength on the day I assume.

Won't put his name up because I just googled him and he stayed local after retiring and died fairly recently.

You went to the same school as me at about the same time iirc so you'll no doubt have known him, - I'll PM you the name.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He was a Biology teacher and was indeed a nice chap as far as I remember.

Just got carried away in his determination to make the tackle and forgot his comparative strength on the day I assume.

Won't put his name up because I just googled him and he stayed local after retiring and died fairly recently.

You went to the same school as me at about the same time iirc so you'll no doubt have known him, - I'll PM you the name.

Wait just a few minutes, I want to try and guess.

Was he also a housemaster?

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wait just a few minutes, I want to try and guess.

Was he also a housemaster?

Name already sent so don't open your PM's yet if you want to think about it!

And yes.... but initials only if you want to guess!

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I remember Eric.  I always liked him, but then he knew my parents were Welsh so that put me in his good books…

He was also my PE teacher. Had both of his sons in school.  

Both were  captain of the first XV and laughably his youngest captain of the football team despite not only being crap but also utterly clueless about the game. 

We also had Alastair Hignell as a Geography 'teacher' and obviously coaching rugby. Once earned myself 2 weeks detention by not appearing at a Saturday rugby match and watching us beat the gas 3.0. Happy days 

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Name already sent so don't open your PM's yet if you want to think about it!

And yes.... but initials only if you want to guess!

When you said he was a biology teacher, I thought it must have been RC.

He was, as you say, a very nice man; he taught me biology in my first and second years, but never coached me rugby - I was in Metcalfe's House.

I knew it wouldn't have been Eric the Dane or Aubrey Harris - did the latter ever teach you? - but thought it might have been JE, who was a geography Master and also a Housemaster, and was also involved in an unfortunate incident during an end of term pupils/masters football match that I organised.

A propos Eric Dehn and Aubrey Harris, I was fortunate enough to have them both as Housemasters, and I must say that both were fantastic teachers and mentors.

Finally, and so as to not digress from the original thread, I actually watched this film in school, although I can't remember whether it was in an English class or in Film Club, run by yet another Housemaster, RP, who now organises birdwatching trips I believe.