IGNORED

Football Scene from “Kes”

exAtyeoMax

I was at Redcliffe 1966 - 72. We played rugby as that was "more of a team game". Anyone not waning to play was sent on a cross country run.

"Can't play Sir, I've got a cold". "The best thing for that is to run around outside, have a shower and then a rub down with a thick towel"

34 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

When you said he was a biology teacher, I thought it must have been RC.

He was, as you say, a very nice man; he taught me biology in my first and second years, but never coached me rugby - I was in Metcalfe's House.

I knew it wouldn't have been Eric the Dane or Aubrey Harris - did the latter ever teach you? - but thought it might have been JE, who was a geography Master and also a Housemaster, and was also involved in an unfortunate incident during an end of term pupils/masters football match that I organised.

A propos Eric Dehn and Aubrey Harris, I was fortunate enough to have them both as Housemasters, and I must say that both were fantastic teachers and mentors.

Finally, and so as to not digress from the original thread, I actually watched this film in school, although I can't remember whether it was in an English class or in Film Club, run by yet another Housemaster, RP, who now organises birdwatching trips I believe.

Yep, was taught by Aubrey 'the strawberry', early on and Eric Dehn in the 6th form.

I was in Warren's (later Rollings) so the RC incident may have been a 1st team practice, I was a reasonable scrum half despite a resentment that we couldn't play football. I used to get absolutely hammered by some of the early growing giants.

I haven't got JE or RP (Ron Pickup?) I'll have to think about them!

I was also in the after school film club, remember seeing Cabaret and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.

On a City related note I remember one of the younger teachers (could have been Beale, I saw him down at AG) managed to get grainy b&w film of City away matches in the promotion season and showed them regularly after school.

I was following City away by then but for faraway, and evening matches that I couldn't get to, it was great to see the goals.

We had a lot of match going City supporters - I remember seeing, 'We f*****d Fulham' sprayed on the toilet wall on the Monday morning after we played at Craven Cottage, which didn't go down well with the Sargeant at all!

Having said that I saw him at AG too, so maybe he was the culprit!

Edited by Nogbad the Bad

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was in Warren's (later Rollings) so the RC incident may have been a 1st team practice, I was a reasonable scrum half despite a resentment that we couldn't play football. I used to get absolutely hammered by some of the early growing giants.

I haven't got JE or RP, I'll have to think about them!

I was also in the after school film club, remember seeing Cabaret and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.

e hd lot ofity - You have lost me there.

I think I must have got confused - RP? was, of course, Tony Warren (don't ask me to explain the connection between TW and RP!), although TW was certainly a keen bird watcher, as was another Housemaster of the time, Derek Lucas. JE was Jonathan Edwards.

My first visit to Film Club was to see Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby, and I must say it went right over my head.

• Like 1

At my school (1967/72) the PE teacher’s favourite game if you were in his bad books was Fox and Hounds. He pointed you out and said “fox”, which meant run very fast. He then said “hounds” which meant every one else had to chase you down, when they caught you they gave you a kicking, it was up to the PE teacher how long this lasted before he stopped it. 
Happy days"………..

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think I must have got confused - RP? was, of course, Tony Warren (don't ask me to explain the connection between TW and RP!), although TW was certainly a keen bird watcher, as was another Housemaster of the time, Derek Lucas. JE was Jonathan Edwards.

My first visit to Film Club was to see Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby, and I must say it went right over my head.

I saw Rosemary's Baby there too, as a 16/17 year old I thought it was brilliant.

It was always 'Bunny' Warren to me.

I said Ron Pickup to your RP above, that was the actor of course, the teacher was Jim Pickup.

I remember Edwards vaguely, didn't realise he was a Jonathan like the Olympian.

I think you missed the 2nd half of my post above if you thought 'e hd lot otify' was the end of the finished version, since edited and added to!

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We had a lot of match going City supporters - I remember seeing, 'We f*****d Fulham' sprayed on the toilet wall on the Monday morning after we played at Craven Cottage, which didn't go down well with the Sargeant at all! I never saw that sort of vandalism at BGS, although I do remember one incident when the rugby XV played away to some Welsh school (Monmouth?) and smashed up the dressing room after the match. All Hell was let loose on the following Monday, and I am sure Sergeant had Bess out. 

Having said that I saw him at AG too, so maybe he was the culprit! I saw him there on on several occasions, usually accompanied by his son.

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It was always 'Bunny' Warren to me.

I said Ron Pickup to your RP above, that was the actor of course, the teacher was Jim Pickup. It was, of course, Jim Pickup, but, as I said, I was confused....I was thinking of Ronnie Pickering!

I remember Edwards vaguely, didn't realise he was a Jonathan like the Olympian. He was quite a big sportive chap, but very friendly.

I think you missed the 2nd half of my post above if you thought 'e hd lot otify' was the end of the finished version, since edited and added to! Yep, I must have received the unedited version. I thought it was some txt words - way beyond me. 

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Me too. I had a PE teacher just like this. Strange times when I think back. 

The weirdest, was after playing footy or Rugger and caked in mud, we were made to run through the showers, and threatened with the dap if we didn't get dried and changed within a couple minutes. 

He'd literally stand watching at shower entrance with dap in hand. 

Very very odd...

But back then it was taken as normal.

Birthdays were the worst...you'd get dragged the length of two pitches, given the bumps, then the wall of death, where your class would like up a meter away from a wall in a line, and you had to run the length between wall and them, whilst they all kicked and punched you ???

Different times.

Where the hell was that.........Dotheboys Hall ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was in Warren's (later Rollings)

Aaaaaah my old house! I’m pretty sure that when I arrived in Rolling as a fresh faced 3rd former (as the 1st year in the Upper School was known) we had absolutely zero “schooling” or understanding about how to play rugby (no football for three whole years) and were just made to play and that was that. 

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

At my school (1967/72) the PE teacher’s favourite game if you were in his bad books was Fox and Hounds. He pointed you out and said “fox”, which meant run very fast. He then said “hounds” which meant every one else had to chase you down, when they caught you they gave you a kicking, it was up to the PE teacher how long this lasted before he stopped it. 
Happy days"………..

you've reminded me of yet another aspect of the PE at my school. those shitty cross country runs around the edge of the entire school field.

The trick i learned was that there was a small copse in one corner which we had to run through, i hung back and stopped when out of site, until they all came round again, then  i rejoined and finished relatively unscathed.

This plan actually only worked once TBH, the next time i tried it the race ended after just one lap and i was still hiding in the woods when the teacher found me. I got to do 2 laps on my own.

I hated school, left with one CSE (grade 3 in French) and one O level (tech Drawing) and was in constant trouble, suspended twice but never expelled,

but i do have a strange sense of pride in the utterly stupid things i got up to...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Aaaaaah my old house! I’m pretty sure that when I arrived in Rolling as a fresh faced 3rd former (as the 1st year in the Upper School was known) we had absolutely zero “schooling” or understanding about how to play rugby (no football for three whole years) and were just made to play and that was that. 

I had older brothers there already so I knew all about Rugby.

Sounds like they allowed you to play football after 3 years? You'll be saying there were girls there next! :whistle2:

No football (or girls) for the duration - 7 years - in my day.

There was a football team organised by the 6th form which I played for on a Sunday, nothing to do with the school, simply called The Exiles.

No idea who we played against - other Bristol 6th forms rebelling against years of enforced Rugby I expect.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sounds like they allowed you to play football after 3 years? You'll be saying there were girls there next! :whistle2:

There was a football team organised by the 6th form which I played for on a Sunday, nothing to do with the school, simply called The Exiles.

No idea who we played against - other Bristol 6th forms rebelling against years of enforced Rugby I expect.

I went to Bash Street Comp, and they were very rugger bugger biased..it was in Gloucester, though. I've detested 15 men and a bar of soap ever since.

Went to Senior School late 60s early 70s in Newton Abbot. Boys and Girls schools were separate.

Mental place with a kids home attached to the school. The lads that came from the home were out of control, school was total carnage.

We had a teacher who was a Palace fan ,if they had got beat he was nightmare, name was Bob Tarry,we used to call him Dac.

One for the real old ones to get that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yeah we could play the round-ball game from 4th Form onwards* (confusingly they changed the year names after my 2nd year so I went 3rd Form, 4th Form, 3rd Form, 4th Form, 5th Form *previously the 4th was called lower Removes & the 5th Removes) but a few of us had kept playing for a youth team outside of school anyway, so we didn't lose what little skill we had! 

I remember once we did get the chance to play, I played for the school and hilights included winning down at Millfield and any game v. Cotham was always hotly contested! Good times (eventually!) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

In the mid-80s our games teacher was a rugby man (and a bully at that), and woe betide anyone who wasn't any good at it or hated it as I did (same with cross country, he would literally make you run until your legs buckled).  You would not get away with it now, and he didn't get away with it then my dad found out what he was doing and literally went up the school and pinned him against the wall (a surprising event in itself as my dad is the most mild-mannered of men, I didn't have any problems after that!).

I got away with the birthday 'fun', birthday was always in the six weeks holiday so was forgotten about by the time term started again!

Me too, August birthday, no bumps

9 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Went to Senior School late 60s early 70s in Newton Abbot. Boys and Girls schools were separate.

Mental place with a kids home attached to the school. The lads that came from the home were out of control, school was total carnage.

We had a teacher who was a Palace fan ,if they had got beat he was nightmare, name was Bob Tarry,we used to call him Dac.

One for the real old ones to get that.

Clarence, the one eyed lion?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

When you said he was a biology teacher, I thought it must have been RC.

He was, as you say, a very nice man; he taught me biology in my first and second years, but never coached me rugby - I was in Metcalfe's House.

I knew it wouldn't have been Eric the Dane or Aubrey Harris - did the latter ever teach you? - but thought it might have been JE, who was a geography Master and also a Housemaster, and was also involved in an unfortunate incident during an end of term pupils/masters football match that I organised.

A propos Eric Dehn and Aubrey Harris, I was fortunate enough to have them both as Housemasters, and I must say that both were fantastic teachers and mentors.

Finally, and so as to not digress from the original thread, I actually watched this film in school, although I can't remember whether it was in an English class or in Film Club, run by yet another Housemaster, RP, who now organises birdwatching trips I believe.

Ah Eric Dehn, one of the loveliest men I ever knew.  I went out with one of his daughters from school through University.  Amazingly his wife Joan only died a couple of years ago, at the age of 104.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ah Eric Dehn, one of the loveliest men I ever knew.  I went out with one of his daughters from school through University.  Amazingly his wife Joan only died a couple of years ago, at the age of 104.

Eric Dehn was, indeed, a lovely man.

In addition to being my form Master, he also taught me French, and I recall that prior to both 'O' and 'A' level exams, he invited me to his flat in Clifton to practise my oral presentations - this was, of course, during the Summer holidays, so he was giving up his free time.

I met his wife at their flat, and I just recall her bringing us soft drinks to sustain us.  

On 27/06/2022 at 18:21, Grey Fox said:

when they caught you they gave you a kicking, it was up to the PE teacher how long this lasted before he stopped it. 
Happy days"………..

Just the thing to introduce to today's snowflake kids.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Eric Dehn was, indeed, a lovely man.

In addition to being my form Master, he also taught me French, and I recall that prior to both 'O' and 'A' level exams, he invited me to his flat in Clifton to practise my oral presentations - this was, of course, during the Summer holidays, so he was giving up his free time.

I met his wife at their flat, and I just recall her bringing us soft drinks to sustain us.  

I bet that these days a teacher would not want a student broadcasting that he went to the  teacher's flat to practice French oral on him, and especially not A levels! :shocking:

• Haha 1

On 27/06/2022 at 13:05, Leveller said:

Interesting. My Dad was actually deputy head there in that era, and a City season ticket holder.

Foster, the Head, was City season ticket holder, but a somewhat remote figure. His Deputies were generally v good. One, Galley, was a truly outstanding teacher/ leader, but I don’t recall him having much interest in sport. To be fair, it was a terrific school- everything a comp should be. We were ordinary kids, mostly farming stock, plus RAF from Locking, ( although my dad worked at the docks in Avonmouth), where everyone was given a decent chance. Worked too- my best mate became a successful broadcast journalist for the BBC in London.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 18:36, 22A said:

Just the thing to introduce to today's snowflake kids.

Today's "snowflake" kids are physically cosseted perhaps - central heating, don't go/hang around outside in winter, driven everywhere, not being cheerfully thrashed by teachers/peers - compared to us boomers, but they are psychologically thrashed and beaten and got at, 24/7, 365 days a year, in ways we never were and don't really understand or appreciate. 

Always worth bearing in mind!