IGNORED

Wimbledon

Super

15 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I would like to see Murray retire rather than losing to people who barring injury would not get a sniff in previously. 

To be fair, he's beaten Kyrios and Tsitsipas in the past couple of weeks, as well as taking Berretini (who's won his last two tournaments) to three sets.

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

To be fair, he's beaten Kyrios and Tsitsipas in the past couple of weeks, as well as taking Berretini (who's won his last two tournaments) to three sets.

Shame to see he's had to pull out with Covid. 

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Someone definitely had him rattles in the crowd

Watch his reaction at the end, blatantly aimed that gob in someones direction, and kept looking in that direction after

I saw that. Vile.

hilarious

What Kyrgios said in explosive press conference

Reporter: Sorry to get off the tennis track. Rather serious question. Were you racially abused out on court?

NK: Not today, no, no. But a lot of disrespect was being thrown today from the crowds. I'm just starting to think that it's normal when it's really not. You know, I didn't say anything to the crowd until they started just every time I came down to the far end, people just going. It's just I don't know if it's normal or not.

Reporter: How does that make you feel when you feel that? A lot of people like you here. Is this something new that you're discovering?

NK: It just happened, like, obviously when it happened in Stuttgart, the racial abuse, and then it happened to (Naomi) Osaka in Indian Wells where someone screamed out, affected her match. I just don't understand why spectators feel like they're able to do that.

Reporter: Are you able to share with us any details of what was said to you?

NL: Just pure disrespect, just anything. Like someone just yelled out I was s*** in the crowd today. Is that normal? No. But I just don't understand why it's happening over and over again.

Reporter: You normally love this tournament…

NK: No, I love this tournament. It's got nothing to do with Wimbledon. I just think it's a whole generation of people like on social media feeling like they have a right to comment on every single thing with negativity. It just carries on to real life.

Because there's a fence there, and I physically can't do anything or say anything because I'll get in trouble. They just feel the need that they're just able to say anything they want.

Reporter: On the flip side of that, you were overheard today, you were having a bit of an interaction with the line judges. At one point I think you said: "You're in your 90s, you can't see the ball."

NK: No, I said most of the umpires are older, and I just don't think that's ideal when you're playing a sport of such small margins. Factually people that are younger have better eyesight. Do you not think that's appropriate?

When you're playing at a sport for hundreds and thousands of dollars, do you not think that we should have people that are really ready to call the ball in or out?

Reporter: Is it an age thing, though?

NK: Factually does someone have better eyesight when they're younger?

Reporter: Not necessarily.

NK: What do you mean 'not necessarily' (laughter)? What does he mean? What do you mean 'not necessarily'?

Reporter: I don't know.

NK: That specific thing, I hit a ball in, the old man called it out, it was in. So arguably if the guy was 40, he may not have called that out.

Reporter: But he may be 60 and may have 20/20 vision, you don't know that.

NK: In this case he got the call wrong.

Reporter: Young people get a call wrong, don't they?

NK: Okay. I don't understand the question, though.

Reporter: Can you elaborate on the whole social media thing? Do other players share your fears? What would you like Wimbledon to do about it?

NK: I didn't say it for anyone to... I'm just giving you an example. I think people, spectators, everyone is so quick to just negatively put their energy on someone else. And there's no real consequences.

On social media you can just bash someone on social media and there's no real consequence. Now, whether it's racial abuse or just disrespect, it's acceptable. But why is that acceptable?

Reporter: If it's two or three times, should they then say...

NK: I don't know. As a player who cops it very hard, I'm getting it nearly every match. I'm playing someone who is -- just because they're sitting there and I can't do anything, they just feel the need.

Reporter: Has any authority ever taken a fan out in any of your matches?

NK: Yeah, a couple of times.

Reporter: Do you have any sympathy for what happens with the line judges, for example? Do you have any sympathy with sometimes how they're treated by players, for example? Umpires take it, line judges take it.

NK: It goes deeper than that because if I lose a tennis match and it comes down to a call, they're not getting abused on social media. I have to deal with it. My girlfriend deals with hate messages. My family deals with hate messages. I deal with hate messages.

Where, for instance, that time in Miami when Carlos Bernardes did that and the whole match turned. Was he dealing with the repercussions? I still deal with that. They just move on like nothing happened. They're back out there refereeing, umpiring.

For me the hate messages, they carry way more weight than just that. That's what people don't understand. It's not just, Oh, he made a bad call, and I'm just abusing the umpire. I'm frustrated.

If I lose this match, you have no idea how much abuse I have to go through, where the umpires don't go through anything. What do they go through?

Reporter: Do you have any sympathy for them, though?

NK: Yeah, if I hit a 220 serve and it hits him, Oh, sorry. Are you okay? If they make a bad call, I just focus on one line, why would I have sympathy for that? There's hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line. Why would I have sympathy for that? Doesn't make sense.

Reporter: Can I just ask, at the end you did appear to spit in the direction of...

NK: Of one of the people disrespecting me. Yes.

3 hours ago, Super said:

hilarious

What Kyrgios said in explosive press conference

Reporter: Sorry to get off the tennis track. Rather serious question. Were you racially abused out on court?

NK: Not today, no, no. But a lot of disrespect was being thrown today from the crowds. I'm just starting to think that it's normal when it's really not. You know, I didn't say anything to the crowd until they started just every time I came down to the far end, people just going. It's just I don't know if it's normal or not.

Reporter: How does that make you feel when you feel that? A lot of people like you here. Is this something new that you're discovering?

NK: It just happened, like, obviously when it happened in Stuttgart, the racial abuse, and then it happened to (Naomi) Osaka in Indian Wells where someone screamed out, affected her match. I just don't understand why spectators feel like they're able to do that.

Reporter: Are you able to share with us any details of what was said to you?

NL: Just pure disrespect, just anything. Like someone just yelled out I was s*** in the crowd today. Is that normal? No. But I just don't understand why it's happening over and over again.

Reporter: You normally love this tournament…

NK: No, I love this tournament. It's got nothing to do with Wimbledon. I just think it's a whole generation of people like on social media feeling like they have a right to comment on every single thing with negativity. It just carries on to real life.

Because there's a fence there, and I physically can't do anything or say anything because I'll get in trouble. They just feel the need that they're just able to say anything they want.

Reporter: On the flip side of that, you were overheard today, you were having a bit of an interaction with the line judges. At one point I think you said: "You're in your 90s, you can't see the ball."

NK: No, I said most of the umpires are older, and I just don't think that's ideal when you're playing a sport of such small margins. Factually people that are younger have better eyesight. Do you not think that's appropriate?

When you're playing at a sport for hundreds and thousands of dollars, do you not think that we should have people that are really ready to call the ball in or out?

Reporter: Is it an age thing, though?

NK: Factually does someone have better eyesight when they're younger?

Reporter: Not necessarily.

NK: What do you mean 'not necessarily' (laughter)? What does he mean? What do you mean 'not necessarily'?

Reporter: I don't know.

NK: That specific thing, I hit a ball in, the old man called it out, it was in. So arguably if the guy was 40, he may not have called that out.

Reporter: But he may be 60 and may have 20/20 vision, you don't know that.

NK: In this case he got the call wrong.

Reporter: Young people get a call wrong, don't they?

NK: Okay. I don't understand the question, though.

Reporter: Can you elaborate on the whole social media thing? Do other players share your fears? What would you like Wimbledon to do about it?

NK: I didn't say it for anyone to... I'm just giving you an example. I think people, spectators, everyone is so quick to just negatively put their energy on someone else. And there's no real consequences.

On social media you can just bash someone on social media and there's no real consequence. Now, whether it's racial abuse or just disrespect, it's acceptable. But why is that acceptable?

Reporter: If it's two or three times, should they then say...

NK: I don't know. As a player who cops it very hard, I'm getting it nearly every match. I'm playing someone who is -- just because they're sitting there and I can't do anything, they just feel the need.

Reporter: Has any authority ever taken a fan out in any of your matches?

NK: Yeah, a couple of times.

Reporter: Do you have any sympathy for what happens with the line judges, for example? Do you have any sympathy with sometimes how they're treated by players, for example? Umpires take it, line judges take it.

NK: It goes deeper than that because if I lose a tennis match and it comes down to a call, they're not getting abused on social media. I have to deal with it. My girlfriend deals with hate messages. My family deals with hate messages. I deal with hate messages.

Where, for instance, that time in Miami when Carlos Bernardes did that and the whole match turned. Was he dealing with the repercussions? I still deal with that. They just move on like nothing happened. They're back out there refereeing, umpiring.

For me the hate messages, they carry way more weight than just that. That's what people don't understand. It's not just, Oh, he made a bad call, and I'm just abusing the umpire. I'm frustrated.

If I lose this match, you have no idea how much abuse I have to go through, where the umpires don't go through anything. What do they go through?

Reporter: Do you have any sympathy for them, though?

NK: Yeah, if I hit a 220 serve and it hits him, Oh, sorry. Are you okay? If they make a bad call, I just focus on one line, why would I have sympathy for that? There's hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line. Why would I have sympathy for that? Doesn't make sense.

Reporter: Can I just ask, at the end you did appear to spit in the direction of...

NK: Of one of the people disrespecting me. Yes.

Its an interesting one, I'd say he shows a complete lack of respect to anyone and even the sport at times so why should anyone show him any respect but then you read about the abuse he receives some even racial and you can see how he behaves the way he does. Spitting towards someone though seriously that's not a great reaction get your water bottle out and drown the fella would have been better :)

I went to Wimbledon on Day one, the Aussie fans were by far the loudest though so I'd be interested to hear what most Aussies think of him?

2 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

Another tennis player overly hyped up to be something special. 

Not sure that is fair. You could make a film about they way she won the US open. Some people take time to adjust to fame. She has gone from unknown to famous and now a millionaire. A total lifestyle upside down scenario.

Hope she gets her head around it

• Admin
2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Not sure that is fair. You could make a film about they way she won the US open. Some people take time to adjust to fame. She has gone from unknown to famous and now a millionaire. A total lifestyle upside down scenario.

Hope she gets her head around it

Hate to say but she got very lucky with her draw out in America, credit to her for taking her opportunity but she is a long way off from the top players in the ladies game at the moment. 

• Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hate to say but she got very lucky with her draw out in America, credit to her for taking her opportunity but she is a long way off from the top players in the ladies game at the moment. 

Lucky? :laugh: She won a grand slam tournament without losing a set. There's nothing lucky about that.

Considering that this time last year nobody had even heard of her, and she's now one of the most famous people in the country, I'm just impressed that she hasn't had some kind of mental breakdown and still seems to be the lovely grounded person she was last year.

I'm sure if she's given time to continue her development (she's only 19 FFS) she will become a consistently top player.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Waffleflap said:

Another tennis player overly hyped up to be something special. Steam rolled today . 

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

She's been battling injuries all season. Only played 7 games on grass in her first ever season on Tour coming into Wimbledon. She did very well to win her opening match.

Ironically, that one win was good enough to move her into the world top 10.

If Grand Slam champion and world top 10 aged 19 isn't "something special", then I don't know what is...

• Like 6