IGNORED

Wimbledon

Super

• Admin
9 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Lucky? :laugh: She won a grand slam tournament without losing a set. There's nothing lucky about that.

Considering that this time last year nobody had even heard of her, and she's now one of the most famous people in the country, I'm just impressed that she hasn't had some kind of mental breakdown and still seems to be the lovely grounded person she was last year.

I'm sure if she's given time to continue her development (she's only 19 FFS) she will become a consistently top player.

Those that only follow Wimbledon once a year hadn't heard of her, she's been around juniors for a while. 

Of course it's credit to her for winning a Grand Slam but the quality on her side of the draw wasn't there. 

I agree about that she seems grounded and that's massively to her credit after the amount of media coverage she got, we only have to look at things like wearing £36k worth of jewellery in her first round victory shows how companies are falling over themselves to get her on board 

Like mentioned above, it's not a good sign that she is struggling with injuries, let's hope she doesn't turn into another Laura Robson 

Just my personal opinion I can't see her getting near any Grand Slam titles 

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

She's been battling injuries all season. Only played 7 games on grass in her first ever season on Tour coming into Wimbledon. She did very well to win her opening match.

Ironically, that one win was good enough to move her into the world top 10.

If Grand Slam champion and world top 10 aged 19 isn't "something special", then I don't know what is...

Just enforces the issue how easy it is to get up the rankings 

I don't mean it was easy winning in America but it's not like she got there from being consistently into the second week of a tournament 

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

Those that only follow Wimbledon once a year hadn't heard of her, she's been around juniors for a while. 

Of course it's credit to her for winning a Grand Slam but the quality on her side of the draw wasn't there. 

I agree about that she seems grounded and that's massively to her credit after the amount of media coverage she got, we only have to look at things like wearing £36k worth of jewellery in her first round victory shows how companies are falling over themselves to get her on board 

Like mentioned above, it's not a good sign that she is struggling with injuries, let's hope she doesn't turn into another Laura Robson 

Not sure how you can make that assumption after one single year on tour (in which she actually won a grand slam), when she is only 19 years of age.

And any comparison with Laura Robson is just silly. She never looked close to being able to win a grand slam, even before her many injuries.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Isner is such a weird one. Basically just unreal serves, and unbreakable.

Also hits the ball way too hard and is way too tall. Doesn’t seem fair to me

In 2018 he got to the semi final and played Kevin Anderson who's very similar, giant with a massive serve. The match lasted over 6 hours and the deciding set ended 26-24 to Anderson, which is probably a big part of why they now have a tiebreak in the final set.

He's never beaten Murray previously in 8 attempts, although none on grass and presumably they were when Murray was in his prime.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Just enforces the issue how easy it is to get up the rankings 

I don't mean it was easy winning in America but it's not like she got there from being consistently into the second week of a tournament 

Easy to get up the rankings...if you win a Slam on debut! A fairly big caveat. 

She definitely has all the tools to play at the highest level, but it goes without saying, no-one can be sure that she will. 

First thing she needs is a strength and conditioning coach to try and cut out these injuries. 

I think it'll be a couple of years before we start to see the best of her. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

.....apart from the US Open......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Anyone watching this? Absolute disgrace. Like watching two petty schools kids playing 

Absolutely loved it tbh. 

I didn't see what Kyrgios did in the first set mind, and if he did swear at line judges then he should've been defaulted. Tsitsapis was inches away from being defaulted too when he hit that ball into the crowd. 

Good game of tennis too, Tsitsapis backhand is really poor for a top 5 player. Kyrgios played great and with an open draw, who knows, he could reach the final. 

It reminded me of all the dirty tricks and animosity there used to be in junior tennis ?

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1