IGNORED

Jason Euell

grifty

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s very refreshing to at last have a well respected manager who has the reputation to attract not only current players but retired players who have become qualified coaches many of whom have worked under Nige previously as Euell has. 

I can’t remember any manager within the last 25+ years who have had that same ‘pulling power’ within the football industry as Nige has.

We’re lucky to have to have a guy with such kudos managing our club.

IMO.

The last ones with very definite "pulling power" were Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan.

Possibly plus Steve Cotterill?

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

He certainly seems to have had an interesting life and, similar to Curtis Fleming, battled through adversity and a less than privileged childhood, presumably forging a strong character; both played with or were managed by Nigel Pearson, so he (NP) and CF will be aware of his character and how he is likely to fit in with the coaching team and the players.

On a slight tangent, I found it quite amusing how, just as NP's encounter with some wild dogs in the Carpathian mountains metamorphosed in to him being attacked by a pack of wolves and only escaping with his life by gouging out the eye of one wolf whist breaking the jaw of another, the background to Jason Euell's fight with a colleague whilst perched on a branch over a river/stream on Wimbledon Common changes dependent upon which version you read.  

So he challenges them, making sure there is no slacking, and drawing on his Crazy Gang days. Euell and another apprentice, Shaun Fleming, once failed to clean the dressing room properly, blamed the other, so the first team decided to establish the guilty party with a duel. “On Wimbledon Common there’s a little river and there’s a branch across the stream, and we are both sitting on this and we have to try and slap each other off. It’s like Gladiators. Whoever falls in loses.”

It was some environment. He recalls the time he was upbraided by the senior players after he and another youngster had made a mistake in training that led to a goal being conceded. The pair were told they had to acknowledge which one of them was at fault. When they kept schtum in solidarity, they were ordered to go out on to Wimbledon Common, where there was a stream with a branch across it. This they were obliged to straddle and, egged on by the entire first team, take turns slapping each other until one of them fell into the water. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We only had to see Andy King helping Alex Ball on day one Robins Uncut to see you’re getting more besides the player there.  Matty James was on the periphery of that clip too.

Don't say things like that on here, King is apparently a waste of space and waste of a wage to quite a few, even though it was pretty obvious he was brought in for his attitude/work ethic etc.

I'm loving the recruitment from Pearson and his team.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

IMO.

The last ones with very definite "pulling power" were Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan.

Possibly plus Steve Cotterill?

Certainly Cooper and Jordon, both were top players. Cotterill on the other hand has mixed options throughout the football industry. Loved at some clubs but seriously disliked at others.

Despite doing a decent enough job at City SC never quite did it for me - or SL for that matter…………..:cool2:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Certainly Cooper and Jordon, both were top players. Cotterill on the other hand has mixed options throughout the football industry. Loved at some clubs but seriously disliked at others.

Despite doing a decent enough job at City SC never quite did it for me - or SL for that matter…………..:cool2:

Never did "what" for you?

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Never did "what" for you?

Never excited me, especially his pre and post match interviews………..never said anything of substance just like his predecessor and successor.Laughed at his own jokes……..….:facepalm: - has to be the worst managerial trait ever!

Lots of hot air and waffle.

We don’t see any of that with Nige thankfully.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Never excited me, especially his pre and post match interviews………..never said anything of substance just like his predecessor and successor.Laughed at his own jokes……..….:facepalm: - has to be the worst managerial trait ever!

Lots of hot air and waffle.

We don’t see any of that with Nige thankfully.

All managers are capable of that, especially our nige, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What?!?   

Gotta a link showing Nige bullshitting? 

Gotta link showing Cotts bullshitting?

SC's slightly swaggering "car-salesman-with-hair-gel" persona means I probably wouldn't be a drinking buddy of his (but then, maybe I would, because you can't really judge people until you have met them in person and got to know them).   But I wouldn't associate him with "bullshitting".  He didn't do all the hard yards himself, but this is the manager who gave us our best ever points haul.  Some respect is required. 

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

SC's slightly swaggering "car-salesman-with-hair-gel" persona means I probably wouldn't be a drinking buddy of his (but then, maybe I would, because you can't really judge people until you have met them in person and got to know them).   But I wouldn't associate him with "bullshitting".  He didn't do all the hard yards himself, but this is the manager who gave us our best ever points haul.  Some respect is required. 

That’s an excellent description of how SC came over in his pre and post match interviews. 
He was exactly the same when I met him a couple of times at Senior Reds. I actually found him a bit meh..:dunno:

Edited by Robbored
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

That’s an excellent description of how SC came over in his pre and post match interviews. 
He was exactly the same when I met him a couple of times at Senior Reds. I actually found him a bit meh..:dunno:

Do you think it was mutual?

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

You sure it wasn't just you? I mean, you do have a history with previous managers don't you?

It must really grate with you that our most successful managers in recent history don't pass the robbored likeability test....

troll GIF

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

In L1 which we all know  had very few strong clubs in it at the time so the quality of opposition was often mediocre at best, I certainly expected City to do well that season given our resources and we did. 

I don’t see anything remarkable about SCs achievement.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Anyway, back to the topic in hand before some prat takes it off the rails and makes it about themselves again!

Very decent striker in his day, and that in it's own right will help our young forwards come on in leaps and bounds - hell, it may even help with the more senior ones in the squad as well!!! 

When you read more about him, his style of coaching, and how respected he is within the game for what he is doing, you can't help but feel that this could be as important a signing as Dave Rennie was.

When Pearson took over, we were under no illusions that it would be an easy ride, and that it would take a few years to even get to where he wanted to be with regards to backroom staff as well as players. This feels, even more so this pre season, that things are really beginning to come together, right throughout the club.

Don't get me wrong, football is still a results driven business, and a bad start could result in Nige being given the boot. That being said though, the foundations look to be setting, and if push come to shove, at least we're now looking like a more professional outfit than we were 2-3 years ago. He has even said himself, he may not be the one to finally get us to where we want to be, but he's certainly doing the best he can do to set us up to get there eventually.

I still think we need to be realistic, and aim for at least a decent mid table finish. If things click, then we could surprise a lot of people, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, welcome aboard Jason :city:

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

You sure it wasn't just you? I mean, you do have a history with previous managers don't you?

It must really grate with you that our most successful managers in recent history don't pass the robbored likeability test....

I pay massive attention to the public persona that we see from our managers as fans and largely base my views on those insights plus the style of football that they serve up. Both aspects are integral to my assessment of any particular manager.

Most posters know that I found the football served up by Danny Wilson was a joy to watch. His interviews were interesting and he talked a lot of sense but ultimately he won nothing.

Subsequent managers like GJ, SC and LJ weren’t a patch on DW in terms of entertainment imo

Now…….City have Nige in charge and to me this guy is a proper manager. Knowledgeable, astute who conducts himself well in every interview that Ive seen. He’s also hugely respected within the game and players want to play under him. I think SL has made a serious coup with Nige and I’m delighted that he’s at AG.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I pay massive attention to the public persona that we see from our managers as fans and largely base my views on those insights plus the style of football that they serve up. Both aspects are integral to my assessment of any particular manager.

Most posters know that I found the football served up by Danny Wilson was a joy to watch. His interviews were interesting and he talked a lot of sense but ultimately he won nothing.

Subsequent managers like GJ, SC and LJ weren’t a patch on DW in terms of entertainment imo

Now…….City have Nige in charge and to me this guy is a proper manager. Knowledgeable, astute who conducts himself well in every interview that Ive seen. He’s also hugely respected within the game and players want to play under him. I think SL has made a serious coup with Nige and I’m delighted that he’s at AG.

Whats Up Ok GIF by Film Riot

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

In L1 which we all know  had very few strong clubs in it at the time so the quality of opposition was often mediocre at best, I certainly expected City to do well that season given our resources and we did. 

It's the best points haul for us - in history!

Vast numbers of years in the Third and the Fourth Division, occasionally the Second, and fairly briefly the First.

Certainly pisses all over the achievements of Danny Wilson, who you seem to idolise.

You don't need to be in love with people to recognise them as good managers: Need I remind you who achieved our highest league position in 42 years?

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's the best points haul for us - in history

Vast numbers of years in the Third and the Fourth Division, occasionally the Second, and fairly briefly the First.

Certainly pisses all over the achievements of Danny Wilson, who you seem to idolise.

You don't need to be in love with people to recognise them as good managers: Need I remind you who achieved our highest league position in 42 years?

Put the achievement into context RR - L1 with City having better resources  that pretty much every other club in L1 it’s no surprise that City did well that season.

Sure SC was the man in charge but plenty of other manager could have done the same at City given the tools at his disposal.

Edited by Robbored

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Put the achievement into context RR - L1 with City having better resources  that pretty much every other club in L1 it’s no surprise that City did well that season.

Sure SC was the man in charge but plenty of other manager could have done the same at City given the tools at his disposal.

Untrue. Resources need managing. Look how many managers have failed with more.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's the best points haul for us - in history!

I suspect its because it pisses all over Wilson's achievements that he doesn't like him

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolute horse shit. And you know it.  We weren’t even favourites going into the season, then we sold our top scorer.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Absolute horse shit. And you know it.  We weren’t even favourites going into the season, then we sold our top scorer.

But Dave, RR needs to pretend he was absolutely certain we would get promoted with anyone in charge that season as it's the only way he can make himself the central character in the story. ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Did your boy toy Danny Wilson get us promoted with massive resources for the time?

How about tinnion and the magnificent 7

Or o dismal

You seem to have it in for managers thay are successful here like Gary Johnson ans SC 

All those mini bus trips to Wembley must be effecting your mental capacity 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I suspect its because it pisses all over Wilson's achievements that he doesn't like him

Unfortunately DW achieved nothing at City but he did produce some thrilling and exciting  football. Football is supposed to be entertainment for us fans and and DW certainly provided it.

I have a positive feeling that Nige will start to produce the same level of entertainment this coming season.

Edited by Robbored

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

I couldn't disagree with this more if I tried. This has to be one of the most outrageous statements I have ever seen on any City related platform. 

That season was an absolute joy to watch. The only campaign that can stand alongside 89/90 in my time of watching City. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

22 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I couldn't disagree with this more if I tried. This has to be one of the most outrageous statements I have ever seen on any City related platform. 

That season was an absolute joy to watch. The only campaign that can stand alongside 89/90 in my time of watching City. 

@CyderInACan

You, I and a few others appear to have woken a poster who has been thankfully, very quiet for long time now. We should shut up and let him go back to sleep!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Yep, ?

There good football under Wilson, but also crap too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1