IGNORED

Jason Euell

grifty

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Unfortunately DW achieved nothing at City but he did produce some thrilling and exciting  football. Football is supposed to be entertainment for us fans and and DW certainly provided it.

I have a positive feeling that Nige will start to produce the same level of entertainment this coming season.

Certainly hope your right about NP,  we do appear to be heading in the right direction, recrutment wise. More than happy to have him here and let him run with it. Euell seems another good appointment - from what is being said.

Not sure why you think NP will supply you with the scintillating football your craving though; always seemed to me his teams are effective, well drilled and hard working rather than flamboyant like the early Wilson teams were. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong though.

Your just spouting your usual self indulgent nonsense as far as I can see. Your a strange poster, thats for sure!

Shame really, there are times when you do actually talk some sense. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

Certainly hope your right about NP,  we do appear to be heading in the right direction, recrutment wise. More than happy to have him here and let him run with it. Euell seems another good appointment - from what is being said.

Not sure why you think NP will supply you with the scintillating football your craving though; always seemed to me his teams are effective, well drilled and hard working rather than flamboyant like the early Wilson teams were. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong though.

Your just spouting your usual self indulgent nonsense as far as I can see. Your a strange poster, thats for sure!

Shame really, there are times when you do actually talk some sense. ?‍♂️

I’ve already said that most of us go to football to be entertained and imo the best football that I’ve seen at AG for over 30 years was under DW - the likes Murray, Tinnion, Peacock et el were a joy to watch - I’ve seen nothing like it since but hopefully Nige will provide us with some attacking and exciting football before too long.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve already said that most of us go to football to be entertained and imo the best football that I’ve seen at AG for over 30 years was under DW - the likes Murray, Tinnion, Peacock et el were a joy to watch - I’ve seen nothing like it since but hopefully Nige will provide us with some attacking and exciting football before too long.

Yeh, we got the "you like to be entertained bit" you've rammed it down our throats for long enough. You think we all don't too?

Time has just muddied your mind, as good as some of the games were under Wilson, just as many, if not more were frusterating and disappointing.

His last season here was absolute horsecrap as I recall.

Gary Johnson served us up some good stuff, some horsecrap too; but at least there was some success to his tenure, unlike DW. Something your too blind to see.

Your blinkered, and keep spouting the same old stuff, no more relevant now than it was after the first 50 times Robbored. A lot of us watched those eras too, and have our own oppinions, we just don't feel the need to insist our opinion is the only valid one.

Tedious, very tedious.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

Yeh, we got the "you like to be entertained bit" you've rammed it down our throats for long enough. You think we all don't too?

Time has just muddied your mind, as good as some of the games were under Wilson, just as many, if not more were frusterating and disappointing.

His last season here was absolute horsecrap as I recall.

Gary Johnson served us up some good stuff, some horsecrap too; but at least there was some success to his tenure, unlike DW. Something your too blind to see.

Your blinkered, and keep spouting the same old stuff, no more relevant now than it was after the first 50 times Robbored. A lot of us watched those eras too, and have our own oppinions, we just don't feel the need to insist our opinion is the only valid one.

Tedious, very tedious.

Hmmm………..my mum gave be some sound advice when she said ‘never debate religion or politics because people have fixed views’

I’ll add football to that piece of advice………..……:cool2:

I agree with @Robbored that Cotts had a clear advantage over all but perhaps Sheff Utd in L1 that season, probably a top two or three budget in the division. 

The thing is, unlike many or most of those that went before him here at that lower level, he made it count! He made it sing! He delivered. In spades.

And unlike every other promotion season, we were right at it until the second half of the 46th game, we've never known a City team to not let up, a relentlessness, like Cotts' team in 14/15.

To go away to a top 6 side and seal promotion with a 6:0 win: that was, for us, remarkable,  regardless of budgetary advantage.

Cotts took a top 2/3 budget and delivered 1st. Doesn't always happen here.

Pity he was set on doing something similar straight away in the Championship ......

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm………..my mum gave be some sound advice when she said ‘never debate religion or politics because people have fixed views’

I’ll add football to that piece of advice………..……:cool2:

Well, some people have fixed views that's for sure.

I wonder what made your mother think of that when adrressing you?

I wonder.......

Edited by Pheasant plucker
Punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

In L1 which we all know  had very few strong clubs in it at the time so the quality of opposition was often mediocre at best, I certainly expected City to do well that season given our resources and we did. 

I don’t see anything remarkable about SCs achievement.

You really are the most appalling WUM.

• Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

I particularly enjoyed that last season when we had two full backs playing in midfield.

Dull periods of waiting for a Tinnion pass to Murray or a Mickey Bell thunderbolt, almost as bad as the Pulis reign.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

For how long have fans criticised SL for not having football people making football decisions?

It now seems that NP is the one making football decisions, not a jumped up chief exec.

NP has bought in coaches he knows not that were conveniently to hand as part of the previous BCFC cozy club. Jason Yuell says he has management aspirations and of Andy King, NP has already said he can see him managing the club.

As others have already said, it feels like we could have succession planning starting to happen. If so then could it also see NP moving upstairs to a DoF role?

• Like 6

On 30/06/2022 at 02:45, Olé said:

But Dave, RR needs to pretend he was absolutely certain we would get promoted with anyone in charge that season as it's the only way he can make himself the central character in the story. ?

A new wave of Gonzo journalism?

Hunter would be proud 

?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, soultrader said:

A new wave of Gonzo journalism?

Hunter would be proud 

?

"We were somewhere around Hounslow on the edge of the North Circular when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive..."  And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge gasheads, all swooping and screeching and diving around the minibus, which was going about a hundred miles an hour to Wembley. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! Who are these goddamn animals?"

That explains everything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 29/06/2022 at 22:33, Taz said:

Anyway, back to the topic in hand before some prat takes it off the rails and makes it about themselves again!

Very decent striker in his day, and that in it's own right will help our young forwards come on in leaps and bounds - hell, it may even help with the more senior ones in the squad as well!!! 

When you read more about him, his style of coaching, and how respected he is within the game for what he is doing, you can't help but feel that this could be as important a signing as Dave Rennie was.

When Pearson took over, we were under no illusions that it would be an easy ride, and that it would take a few years to even get to where he wanted to be with regards to backroom staff as well as players. This feels, even more so this pre season, that things are really beginning to come together, right throughout the club.

Don't get me wrong, football is still a results driven business, and a bad start could result in Nige being given the boot. That being said though, the foundations look to be setting, and if push come to shove, at least we're now looking like a more professional outfit than we were 2-3 years ago. He has even said himself, he may not be the one to finally get us to where we want to be, but he's certainly doing the best he can do to set us up to get there eventually.

I still think we need to be realistic, and aim for at least a decent mid table finish. If things click, then we could surprise a lot of people, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, welcome aboard Jason :city:

This is spot on for me and something me and my old man were discussing recently.

I feel Nige is a very much doing what SOD did whilst being a much easier character to like than SOD and one with obviously a better pedigree in the game. 

SOD set the foundations for Cotts to come in and flourish and get us out of League 1. I genuinely feel Cotts wouldn’t have done what he did if SOD hadn’t set the foundations for him.

I really hope it can be Nige who gets us to the Prem and not somebody else but the job he is doing is setting a really good platform for either him or somebody new to come in and get us promotion in the not too distance future IMO.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

This is spot on for me and something me and my old man were discussing recently.

I feel Nige is a very much doing what SOD did whilst being a much easier character to like than SOD and one with obviously a better pedigree in the game. 

SOD set the foundations for Cotts to come in and flourish and get us out of League 1. I genuinely feel Cotts wouldn’t have done what he did if SOD hadn’t set the foundations for him.

I really hope it can be Nige who gets us to the Prem and not somebody else but the job he is doing is setting a really good platform for either him or somebody new to come in and get us promotion in the not too distance future IMO.

The 2 key differences between the two, with np you can see his charisma and actual shoots of improvements as the season went on,

With sod he was a charisma vacuum and just seemed to get worse week in week out

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

The 2 key differences between the two, with np you can see his charisma and actual shoots of improvements as the season went on,

With sod he was a charisma vacuum and just seemed to get worse week in week out

Exactly. SOD was instrumental in setting up for Cotts' achievements. He didn't really have the money given to him to set up properly, and charisma vacuum probably describes how he came across in many interviews. 

He was an extremely clever man though and knew exactly what was needed. He just came in at a time when we had to get rid of a load of overpriced/paid crap - sound familiar?

You hope that SL has learned his lesson there, and is probably the reason why Nige is still here now, and why he wasn't really under much pressure last season - it was a free hit really. They can give all the soundbites of being disappointed to finish as low as we did all they like, fact is many predicted a long hard season, and that's what we got.

It's proving to be a like a long game of chess - move all the pawns out of the way first, the ones we don't want, or need, and then start attacking with the better pieces, whilst moving up the board (league). 

• Like 4

On 01/07/2022 at 09:32, Merrick's Marvels said:

"We were somewhere around Hounslow on the edge of the North Circular when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive..."  And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge gasheads, all swooping and screeching and diving around the minibus, which was going about a hundred miles an hour to Wembley. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! Who are these goddamn animals?"

@Merrick's Marvels has Covid 19 at the moment, Otib (actually true, this), so worth bearing in mind when reading this ....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, tommy_b said:

https://theathletic.com/3381919/2022/07/03/charlton-bristol-city-jason-euell/?source=user_shared_article

Good article. I’d copy and paste it but on my phone and that’s near impossible :)

Just read it too.

If you can get a £1pm sub, I think the Athletic is worth it…certainly not worth much more for the average Champ fan.

He seems to be just what we want, years of top level playing experience, driven as a coach to improve players, with what appear to be good motivational techniques.

Nige raising the standards all around.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 09:30, Olé said:

"Resources." "Tools at his disposal."

Cotterill first full season in charge (2014/15). Biggest signing: Kieran Agard £750,000. Second biggest signing: Luke Freeman: £150,000.

Wilson first full season in charge (2000/01). Biggest signing: Lee Peacock £600,000. Second biggest signing: Lee Matthews: £150,000.

Cotterill finished in 1st as champions with 99 points and 5 defeats. Wilson finished in 9th with 14 defeats.

"Plenty of other managers"? Adjusting for 14 years of inflation Wilson easily spent more in League 1 too.

Fair play to you for still arguing with him over this, as I lost the will to do so absolutely ages ago.

There is the maxim about not arguing with an idiot because he’ll drag you down to his level, but this tedious make believe has gone on so long it isn’t even that good.

• Flames 1

On 01/07/2022 at 16:18, bris red said:

All opinions but SOD for me was the absolute worst. Team of loans playing keep ball at the back with no plan of attack, no goals and the most sour man.

If by foundations you mean blooding youth fair enough but Cotts came in mid way through and with a few extra games may have even made the play offs in his first season - that was the foundation for the double season not mr flappy hands telling us to reduce our expectations.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 10:36, Robbored said:

We scored fewer goals than any other team in the top 10 during Wilson's final season in charge. I didn't find that particularly entertaining.

(I absolutely realise putting Alan right on this constantly is like pissing in the wind, but equally I can't tolerate his constant fingers-in-ears Trump/Johnsonesque rewriting of history. It's how people like Alan end up in positions of authority - if you keep lying often enough and loud enough people eventually assume it must be true).

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fair play to you for still arguing with him over this, as I lost the will to do so absolutely ages ago.

There is the maxim about not arguing with an idiot because he’ll drag you down to his level, but this tedious make believe has gone on so long it isn’t even that good.

Robbored's theme tune:

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

We scored fewer goals than any other team in the top 10 during Wilson's final season in charge. I didn't find that particularly entertaining.

I think you’re missing my point about entertaining football Journo - City  reached the pray off final that season……………..:cool2:

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So it’s about results then….you’ve contradicted yourself matey!

No contradiction at all Dave. City played some great football that season and reached the pray off final at the Millennium. Not playing Lita against Brighton was DWs worst error of judgment but City lost to a dodgy decision.

One major factor  leading to City missing out on automatic was Lee Miller missing a tap in at the County Ground very late in the game and City dropped two points………….:no: