IGNORED

Trouble at Palace

sglosbcfc

Was that the January game we lost 2-0 in the same season we later did them in the play offs? 

In that second video you can see the stewards segregating City and Palace either side of one of the exits. At the end the stewards were all over the place because of the aggro and we actually got sent down that exit only to find it's the wrong side of a caged divide under the stand from away fans - and in the concourse City fans assumed a load of us were Palace and were right up to the wire shouting abuse at us and offering us out. One of my weirder experiences at away games. ?

• Admin
11 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I remember this game and the trouble in the stand, never seen this footage before though. Seems like a Palace fan recorded it and has now uploaded it.

There was (is) plenty of footage from the Palace end that day, was certainly doing the rounds many years ago

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Was that the January game we lost 2-0 in the same season we later did them in the play offs? 

In that second video you can see the stewards segregating City and Palace either side of one of the exits. At the end the stewards were all over the place because of the aggro and we actually got sent down that exit only to find it's the wrong side of a caged divide under the stand from away fans - and in the concourse City fans assumed a load of us were Palace and were right up to the wire shouting abuse at us and offering us out. One of my weirder experiences at away games. ?

Exactly this - I can remember this, it was a bit surreal, luckily I had a City badge on and someone recognised me as it was getting a bit lively in there for a while

15 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Exactly this 

if the police stood aside and said “go for it”….a majority of those blokes would shit their pants and do nothing 

I get your point but this was one of those days where this wasn't the case, Palace supporters and the Police got the situation badly wrong that afternoon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Exactly this 

if the police stood aside and said “go for it”….a majority of those blokes would shit their pants and do nothing 

You are spot on 95% of the time, particularly in recent times. If my memory serves me correctly though this was one of the 5%.  A reasonably large number of City supporters were hell bent on getting at the Palace fans and the police and stewards really struggled to maintain order. When they managed to control one part of the stand, it kicked off again in another section. City had a really big following at that game and arriving 2 hours before kick off several local boozers were full of City fans already.

• Like 5

• Admin
17 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

You are spot on 95% of the time, particularly in recent times. If my memory serves me correctly though this was one of the 5%.  A reasonably large number of City supporters were hell bent on getting at the Palace fans and the police and stewards really struggled to maintain order. When they managed to control one part of the stand, it kicked off again in another section. City had a really big following at that game and arriving 2 hours before kick off several local boozers were full of City fans already.

I believe I'm correct in saying this is the infamous day Simon Jordan talks about how his car got surrounded by City fans early before one game 

The difference this game whereas City fans will normally drink in and around central London until as close to kick off as possible, this game we were in Thornton Heath from very early filling many local pubs

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phantom said:

The difference this game whereas City fans will normally drink in and around central London until as close to kick off as possible, this game we were in Thornton Heath from very early filling many local pubs

Yep - people are forgetting the context. It was the first time we'd played Palace for 10 years (checking back we were only in the same division as them twice in the prior 20 years). We'd been on a blistering run of form over Xmas which bar being hammered at West Brom on Boxing Day saw us sitting in 2nd in the Championship in January - really surreal times.

But then Palace had been in even more ridiculous form having appointed Warnock in late October while sitting bottom of the table and gone on a hell of a winning run and were already into the top six when we went there. So it was a match that was on everyones radar for weeks and at a time winning was a habit for us (including promotion the season before). 

Because we didn't have much recent history with Palace, everyone was drinking on their doorstep, I remember being in Palace pubs near the ground (in our case I think Norwood Junction) and it was all quite good humoured but you could tell everyone was quietly gagging for a result to take the other lot down a peg or two, there was this weird edge to the day.

They saw us as un-threatening League One upstarts on our big day out in their pubs and on their form you could tell they expected to beat us - and with the ones we talked to pre-match, hated even acknowledging we were above them. On the other hand we'd become deadly serious that we could be contenders and weren't coming down there to be patronised.

It carried into the game and when they got ahead (I don't remember the game at all but I swear there was some reason to be aggrieved by one of their goals) it started to ratchet up, as you mentioned earlier all that "Glad all over" crap was new to us and at the time felt like an extension of their dismissive attitude to us - which translated into the trouble at the end.

Yes the videos are an absolute non event, but well before full time from memory the stewards became split in all sorts of directions between those who saw an opportunity to throw their weight around and round up sets of City fans and turf us out the wrong exit, versus those that didn't want to get involved so the segregation fell to pieces. It was definitely chaotic. 

• Like 3

This is the game where I was ejected from the ground. 
At half time, no one was allowed out for a smoke (back when I did smoke - 4 years clean now!) As far as I recall, this was the first time we’d been at a game where there was no smoking area, so people were somewhat peeved. Loads were just smoking in the concourse or toilets. 
I was smoking in the concourse, along with tens of others. Steward told me to stop. I said ok, no probs. It was nearly finished anyway, and so I had one more drag and then put it out. Because I’d taken one more drag after he’d spoken to me, suddenly I was grabbed by about 3 other stewards and thrown out. 
Anyway, the most interesting bit came after this. 
I was a tad peed off, so I walked round the ground and managed to see an open gate on the opposite side of the ground. I obscured myself behind a wheelie bin whilst some people exited this gate taking out some rubbish. As they went back in, they left the gate slightly ajar and I took my chance and slipped through. I walked up the steps and plonked myself down in the first seat I could see that was free and attempted to blend in! 
So having been ejected, 10 minutes later I found myself sat in the front row in the stand directly opposite the City fans. 
Didn’t last long. Someone must’ve been watching me as I was stalking around the ground before finding this open gate. A group of stewards approached me and manhandled me out the ground again. 
The Palace fans around me must’ve wondered what the hell was going on - all they knew was that someone was being ejected who hadn’t appeared to have even done anything! 
Anyway, this was the one and only game that I can say I was ejected from the ground twice in the same game ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I was there, don't remember palace having any boys though. City definitely took the p*ss that day. Unfortunately some who were off their heads assumed palace were coming through a gate on the way out and attacked them not realising they were City.

• Like 1