IGNORED

if you wanna use the train for all city away games,it gonna cost you £2,178.

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

For turn up on the day fares with no rail discount cards split tickets or under 16's

sunderland 178.30p

middlesbrough 165.00p

hull 142.60p

norwich 136.50p

burnley 120.00p

blackpool 120.10

huddersfield 115.20p

sheffield 111.60p

rotherham 111,60p

blackburn 111.80p

preston 107.00p

wigan 101.00p

I would have thought you only travelled first class

Looking at the rail atlas, an anomaly there. Burnley & Blackburn should cost the same. Huddersfield is further away than Blackpool, but costs less.

The £2,178 figure could be reduced though if you "split ticket" your journey.

Take a chance on weather disruptions and match day amendments due to TV coverage and buy tickets in advance,

For turn up on the day fares with no rail discount cards split tickets or under 16's

sunderland 178.30p

middlesbrough 165.00p

hull 142.60p

norwich 136.50p

burnley 120.00p

blackpool 120.10

huddersfield 115.20p

sheffield 111.60p

rotherham 111,60p

blackburn 111.80p

preston 107.00p

wigan 101.00p

No problem.........me and my best mate are travelling to all 23 away matches by electric scooter,...........we estimate a total cost of £52.47p, as we intend to nick the majority of the electric.   PS. I added the p on the end as a tribute to Mr Pedantic -  Reigate Red

Edited by maxjak
  • Haha 1

• Admin

sunderland 178.30p

middlesbrough 165.00p

hull 142.60p

norwich 136.50p

burnley 120.00p

blackpool 120.10

huddersfield 115.20p

sheffield 111.60p

rotherham 111,60p

blackburn 111.80p

preston 107.00p

wigan 101.00p

What happened to the the rest of the fixtures? 

Perhaps Eltons helicopter is going spare ????

7 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

sunderland 178.30p

middlesbrough 165.00p

hull 142.60p

norwich 136.50p

burnley 120.00p

blackpool 120.10

huddersfield 115.20p

sheffield 111.60p

rotherham 111,60p

blackburn 111.80p

preston 107.00p

wigan 101.00p

Is that from Parson St?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

The German rail network is also a delight to travel on.

Indeed.

I can't remember travelling by rail in this country for donkeys years (other than the occasional local journey from Keynsham to BTM). Disgraceful prices and shite service. There is no comparison to the services in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, etc, where it is clean, cheap, and you get a seat.

Anyway, £180 to Boro is £360 for me and the Mrs which is just ridiculous, even if split or purchasing rail cards its still a major rip off. By car its about £120 depending on the model of the car, chuck in an overnight stay and its still cheaper than the rail cost - but still far too expensive. 

I won't be partaking in the delights of Middlesbrough this season, although we stayed in Hartlepool marina last time (Premier Inn) which was good and only £35 at that time.

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

In fact, I have just checked, and the ticket I mentioned is 9€ per month, and includes all public transportation, including buses, trams, underground etc.

Incredible value.

Almost as if they invest in their infrastructure rather than sell the profitable bits off to private, foreign concerns and let it rot..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Almost as if they invest in their infrastructure rather than sell the profitable bits off to private, foreign concerns and let it rot..

Not only Germany, but France also, both of whom run National rail services that are clean, comfortable, efficient and extremely good value for money - State subsidised, it has to be said, in so far as it concerns France.

Mind you, they can afford it as they make healthy profits from their investments in British rail services, amongst other UK investments such as electricity and nuclear power, not to mention construction of rolling stock, awarded contracts at the expense of existing British contractors, resulting in large UK redundancies - think Bombardier in Derby.

• Like 2

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

In fact, I have just checked, and the ticket I mentioned is 9€ per month, and includes all public transportation, including buses, trams, underground etc.

Incredible value.

I am currently the proud holder of such a ticket.

The 9 EUR payment covers all travel on all local public transport in the country (buses, trams, underground, metro, mainline regional trains, even some ferries) for a month. The only exclusions are express intercity trains.

It's a move by the government to ease the cost of living burden and to encourage motorists to leave their cars at home.

It will be available again in July and in August.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Germany have recently (1 May) introduced a 9€ rail ticket for travel throughout Germany (high speed {TGV type} trains excluded).

Imagine that, Munich to Hamburg for 9€.

Deutsche Bundesbahn bought shares in some of Britain's privatised rail companies and use the profits to keep fares low back in Germany. ?

• SC&T Board Members
20 minutes ago, 22A said:

Deutsche Bundesbahn bought shares in some of Britain's privatised rail companies and use the profits to keep fares low back in Germany. ?

Actually, these discounted tickets are being subsidised by central government. As a way to help citizens during tough times.

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

In the case of UK railways the infrastructure is, er, wholly state owned. 

From a passenger perspective it's also pointless talking about a 'national' network when over two thirds of all train journeys start or end in London and nearly 70% of passenger miles occur in the London & South East regions.

And to those who relate how wonderful the operation of Europe's electrical railways forget not their design, instigation and implementation were almost single-handedly at the hands of the British. The fact the British themselves were the last to introduce such technology, decades after everybody else, had everything to do with trade unionism, the impact of post war nationalisation on rail operators and Harold Wilson's obsession with expanding the national road network.

Japan, (mountains, variable weather, earthquakes and all ) is commonly lauded as having the finest rail network operating. I myself wondered at it's efficiency when travelling there. Japan Railways is mostly privately owned and in regions where the state retains a measure of ownership that's via an arm's length, autonomous private agency model.

Britain's railway problems aren't economic per se, they're historic & geographic, much as using Jimmy Saville to promote rail usage hasn't aged well......

Edited by BTRFTG

23 hours ago, maxjak said:

No problem.........me and my best mate are travelling to all 23 away matches by electric scooter,...........we estimate a total cost of £52.47p, as we intend to nick the majority of the electric.   PS. I added the p on the end as a tribute to Mr Pedantic -  Reigate Red

If we’re going to be pedantic,? you don’t need a “p” as a suffix if there is already a “£” sign. In fact the original post needs a £ sign, unless the tickets are really cheap! ??