IGNORED

How good are the kids?

SecretSam

I see loans are planned for Towler, Idehen, Conway, Bell and possibly Owers.

I'm not ITK with these youngsters, how much promise do they really show? How far away from first team level are they? I know Scott is no benchmark, he's an exception, but could any of them realistically stay and battle for the first team?

Genuine Q.

I think it's been suggested that with Bell and Conway, one will stay as cover and the other will be loaned out until January, and then they'll switch until the seasons end. So by that logic they're both viewed as ready to challenge here. 

Player development isn't a straight line, but I think the fact we've given this lot some first team minutes and involved them in first-team training means we believe they all have the minerals to be future City stars, but for now we need them getting minutes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I'm not ITK with these youngsters, how much promise do they really show? How far away from first team level are they? I know Scott is no benchmark, he's an exception, but could any of them realistically stay and battle for the first team?

Genuine Q.

Where was this? 

I would be disappointed if Idehen and Owners were not used in cup matches at least, Towler is a bit different he has hit the magical 20 where in Pearson's eyes it seems he should be getting minutes.

I can see the logic behind the Bell and Conway thing, I think we would have to have a serious injury crisis to call on both at the same time, but I would prefer to have one playing in some games, to be replaced by the other and vice versa.

Last season Nigel's thoughts on loans seemed to extend to players going out on loan as well.

Lastly, 5 subs in a game must mean that these players could get more minutes here than ever before?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

58 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Genuine Q.

I’d be surprised if they all went on loan. Where did you see this ?  I am hoping Conway is given some chances this season, especially if Wells leaves.  Only seen a bit of Idehen but would hope he’d be our 6th choice centre back assuming Pearson would want 6 if we are playing a back 3. Bell, Owers and Towler need a loan in my opinion, especially Bell 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 2

Bell, big d and Conway I can see all staying, as I believe they all have something to add,

The ones behind them are the ones I can see going out,.like Henry owers, towler and a few more of the players turning 18 and 19 this season

I'd keep Conway around the club as, at present, he looks more ready than Bell who I'd send out on loan. Owers I'd like to see start in the Carabao Cup but his staying, rather than going out on loan may depend on whether Massengo re-signs or if we pursue Rudoni. I think Towler is more ready than Idehen but he's left sided where we're well covered so he might go on loan. Idehen should also be sent on loan but may stay especially if we sell Kalas. 

With the signing of Naismith, we’re blessed with left sided cb’s, and Naismith can cover dasilva if necessary. On this basis, I see tower heading in loan for minutes with a call back clause in case of injuries.

I can actually see idehen sticking around the first team as back up at rcb as physically he is well developed and it would benefit him to be in and around the squad. I’m expecting quick progression from him and would also be a means to saving money from dipping into the market. He would/could be an understudy to kalas/klose as rcb.

I also see Owers sticking around as understudy in cm as he can learn a lot from the likes of king et al. Certainly could do with experience out on loan but we’re in a position whereby we’re u sure whether massengo will stay, will king even play, injury records of Williams etc, it’s worth sticking around for an opportunity. Again, also saves us spending in the market when we can develop one of our own.

bell and Conway see above. Jury is out on both for me but looking at the pre-season vids, they definitely seem to have developed physically and confidence is high so maybe one or both could replace wells as backup should he be moved on and again saves us spending in the market

Conway I’d keep around and loan out Bell.  Conway has better technical ability to link play so shades it for me. Owers has impressed me the most whilst watching u23s as improved every game and is your 7 out of 10 performer.  Only question mark is pace but saying that he can’t be slower than James or King, so needs to gain those missing yards in his head to compensate.  Only way we will know if he’s good enough is keep him around but not sure NP will as only made Austria due to Kadji getting injured.

Idenhen over Towler for me, so another I would keep around.

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

With the signing of Naismith, we’re blessed with left sided cb’s, and Naismith can cover dasilva if necessary. On this basis, I see tower heading in loan for minutes with a call back clause in case of injuries.

I can actually see idehen sticking around the first team as back up at rcb as physically he is well developed and it would benefit him to be in and around the squad. I’m expecting quick progression from him and would also be a means to saving money from dipping into the market. He would/could be an understudy to kalas/klose as rcb.

I also see Owers sticking around as understudy in cm as he can learn a lot from the likes of king et al. Certainly could do with experience out on loan but we’re in a position whereby we’re u sure whether massengo will stay, will king even play, injury records of Williams etc, it’s worth sticking around for an opportunity. Again, also saves us spending in the market when we can develop one of our own.

bell and Conway see above. Jury is out on both for me but looking at the pre-season vids, they definitely seem to have developed physically and confidence is high so maybe one or both could replace wells as backup should he be moved on and again saves us spending in the market

I believe, though I could be wrong, that you can only ‘ call back ‘ your loanees during the transfer windows. Unless they are with non- league clubs. 

• Like 1

No doubt that many ‘kids’ benefit from going out on loan - Bryan and Reid are good examples of that but for some it’s proves unsuccessful so it’s down to he managerial team to decide who’ll likely benefit from regular first team starts away from AG. It’s a question of judgement.

I don’t know enough about the quality of any of them to speculate………….:dunno:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt that many ‘kids’ benefit from going out on loan - Bryan and Reid are good examples of that but for some it’s proves unsuccessful so it’s down to he managerial team to decide who’ll likely benefit from regular first team starts away from AG. It’s a question of judgement.

I don’t know enough about the quality of any of them to speculate………….:dunno:

Good for you, and nice to see you appear to be changing your ways; better to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than, as is frequently your wont, to speak out about subjects on which you know nothing and remove all doubt ?.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Good for you, and nice to see you appear to be changing your ways; better to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than, as is frequently your wont, to speak out about subjects on which you know nothing and remove all doubt ?.

My point Phil (obviously lost on you) is that very few posters, if any on here are knowledgeable enough to speculate on which ‘kids’ should  go out on loan and includes me………….:cool2:

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My point Phil (obviously lost on you) is that very few posters, if any on here are knowledgeable enough to speculate on which ‘kids’ should  go out on loan and includes me………….:cool2:

Your point wasn’t lost on me Robbo; I was merely teasing you, in a good natured way - hence the ? at the end of my post.

• Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s in a piece written by Rich Forrester and has a lot of speculative 2+2 stuff.  I wouldn’t be taking too much stock in it until we see how the rest of pre-season goes and the window end approaches.

Yep, it’s guesswork.

As Owura Edwards has shown, we aren’t averse to loaning players out, but until we know all the senior outgoings & arrivals we won’t be in a position to decide on much of this.

That having been said I think it is unlikely that both Conway & Bell will be in the first team squad this season & the same also goes for both Towler & Idehen.

A sudden injury or a surprise sale & even that could all change though.

Owers appears to be far enough back in the queue to gain league experience elsewhere though.

• Like 1

I'm not going to speculate on who and who is not ready but my thoughts generally are:

1) We are quite thin on attacking cover, especially with Semenyo's injury. If everyone is fit, Wells is potentially the only senior forward not starting. Sykes might be able to play in one of the three forward positions (or we could change formation, of course) but I'd have thought we'd need a player in if both Bell and Conway went out and, even one going out leaves us a little thin potentially. 

2) We've got four good CBs but slanted towards LCB, with (I think) only Kalas a natural right sided defender. Obviously we've also got Vyner and Moore and may need to use them as squad players if they don't move on. I think Idehen and Towler are both going to struggle to get games so loans for at least one - even both - makes sense. However, given Pearson appears not to rate Moore or Vyner, and arguably both have struggled to show the consistency and concentration needed at this level, I hope we can move both on and get one more RCB - unless Idehen or Towler can demonstrate they can play there.

3) Owers is a player who plays in a position we need who plays the type of role we need in that position. That doesn't necessarily mean he's ready to step in though.

I think one thing I'd say is that none of the loans are necessarily bad things. I remember @Davefevswriting a great article a couple of years back about how we tended to give players (such as Morrell, Walsh and Moore) one loan too many but I think we're a long way from those days. I think any of the five players mentioned could utilise a loan to get themselves ready to come back and challenge for the first team next season, or maybe even by January. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s in a piece written by Rich Forrester and has a lot of speculative 2+2 stuff.  I wouldn’t be taking too much stock in it until we see how the rest of pre-season goes and the window end approaches.

Surely it is so dependant on who might still leave and what players are signed and/loaned in.

8 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Bell, big d and Conway I can see all staying, as I believe they all have something to add,

The ones behind them are the ones I can see going out,.like Henry owers, towler and a few more of the players turning 18 and 19 this season

Sorry...........it's probably obvious to many............but who the pheck is big d? ?