IGNORED

"VAR" to be introduced for offsides at World cup

26 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Infantino says it was brave the introduction of VAR at the last World Cup,what a load of old tosh that is,brave is banning countries that continually hurl racist abuse 

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

26 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Infantino says it was brave the introduction of VAR at the last World Cup,what a load of old tosh that is,brave is banning countries that continually hurl racist abuse 

I don't even think that's brave, I see that as common sense and the right thing to do, something FIFA just can't grasp. 

5 hours ago, Akira said:

I don't even think that's brave, I see that as common sense and the right thing to do, something FIFA just can't grasp. 

Of course it’s common sense but the authorities just don’t see it,just have to look on these shores with the most successful club in the last 10 years and the other richest club now to see nobody cares

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Reading the article, it's not that VAR will only be used for offsides but that they are trying technology that theoretically will make VAR decisions for offsides faster. 

But surely the delay with VAR is the human interpretation not the speed of the VAR equipment 

7 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

This is definitely where VAR will go and needs to go.  Black and white decisions like offside should and will be instantly picked up using AI technology and once you have the instant decision, it takes away the delays of making the decision, which is what we all want and it will cease to be an issue.

The problems that VAR (automated or not) can’t solve is subjective decisions like fouls, unless they change the rules to make it black and white.  Using VAR as they do now just gives another person a go at making a decision after the ref which takes more time.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But surely the delay with VAR is the human interpretation not the speed of the VAR equipment 

It is but the aim to automate the process so the VAR itself has an AI to calculate if a player is offside and the humans just need to double check and confirm that decision doesn’t look wrong.

It is a lot easier to do with offside than any other offence as, with AI, you just need a computer to be able to review all the cameras and judge where a player is standing whereas, with a foul for example, there are far more nuanced factors in judging whether an offence took place.

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Black and white decisions like offside should and will be instantly picked up using AI technology

Save Law 11 isn't 'black and white', that's why we have pigs ear debates each and every week. Recall, it's not an offence to be in an offside position, so try writing the algorithm to resolve as and when it does become an offence.

Guaranteed first game we'll see play halted quickly (because VAR flagged it,) only for pundits to highlight that although the player was in an offside position he wasn't committing an offence.

Here's a thought. Before starting the farce,  use the technology to analyse decades of many of the greatest and most memorable goals in football, and see them scratched off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Save Law 11 isn't 'black and white', that's why we have pigs ear debates each and every week. Recall, it's not an offence to be in an offside position, so try writing the algorithm to resolve as and when it does become an offence.

Guaranteed first game we'll see play halted quickly (because VAR flagged it,) only for pundits to highlight that although the player was in an offside position he wasn't committing an offence.

Here's a thought. Before starting the farce,  use the technology to analyse decades of many of the greatest and most memorable goals in football, and see them scratched off.

Yes good point

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

If that’s the case then they will change/tweak the rule to make it work I’m sure.  Although AI can learn what ever the rule is and reproduce what a human can for much more complicated things than the offside rule so might not be a blocker anyway, who knows, I’d rather they never introduced it personally, I’m enjoyed the debate and the acceptance that sometimes you get decisions and sometimes you don’t!

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

28 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

If that’s the case then they will change/tweak the rule to make it work I’m sure.  Although AI can learn what ever the rule is and reproduce what a human can for much more complicated things than the offside rule so might not be a blocker anyway, who knows, I’d rather they never introduced it personally, I’m enjoyed the debate and the acceptance that sometimes you get decisions and sometimes you don’t!

If fans still are unable to comprehend it's a LAW and NOT a 'rule' (sic) and the differences therein, what hope AI?

They'd be better off doing as in hockey and scrapping Law 11 altogether. In hockey the predicted impact on styles of play didn't materialise. I think they're going to trial in the Dutch 2nd tier soon.

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

As if you needed another reason not to watch the World Cup.

The beauty of football was it's Laws were the same for all, top flight pros, kids in the park. You used the same equipment. 

Does feel increasingly like football is now two-tier.

A couple  of “super clubs” dominating everything in domestic leagues (everywhere) and international football now playing by different rules to others. 

I can honestly say I have no intention of watching a single minute of this years WC. 

46 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Does feel increasingly like football is now two-tier.

A couple  of “super clubs” dominating everything in domestic leagues (everywhere) and international football now playing by different rules to others. 

I can honestly say I have no intention of watching a single minute of this years WC. 

The way England have been playing recently the rest of us will only be watching 270 minutes of it.

This is for the business of VAR. Those sat in the VAR gallery get a juicy carear out of this. 

The impact on the game. We have and have increasingly two tiered rules. The trend here is to remove decision making from the ref and assistant refs. Assistant reffing at the top is in decline. The assistant ref does less and less. The assistants get to check the nets, flag for a throw in, flag for goal kicks, corners but cant be trusted with much else. Science is taking over the big stuff.

Reffing in general is in decline and technology is removing opportunity to progress upwards. You wont be needed that much fellas and that will have an impact at every level. 

4 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

As far as I understand it, VAR will not be flagging offsides. It will work exactly as it does now, i.e. if there's a goal then it will be referred to VAR. Its just that now that decision will be made quicker. So all this talk of AI interpreting the rules, is moot. 

I never feel comfortable in a world where I'm forced to agree with you 

?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I fear that VAR is here to stay & probably the main reason that the Premier league has lost all appeal for me. 

Personally, I'd far rather they'd gone with 2 referees & 4 lino's (half the pitch per set) keep it human rather than so exactly accurate. 

Bloody of side calls because someone shoulder is a millimetre the wrong side of a defender is f'king ridiculous, imo. 

That's not gaining an advantage, in any way. 

• Like 1