IGNORED

how good a memory have you got about Glynn Riley?

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Can any one recall when his wife taped over all the goals he scored from Bristol City to record Coronation Street.

Can't say I know about that, mate, but he was always in that Rising Sun before a game. He used to be on here quite a bit too but don't know what he's up to nowadays 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

In my 40 years watching Bristol City, Glynn Riley must be right up there in terms of popular players amongst the City support. 

I remember us playing away at Aldershot shortly after he left us and had joined them.  He got an amazing welcome from us travelling fans and was a fitting reflection of how much we love an honest, wholehearted player.

Got many great memories of Glyn Riley and he really helped brighten those dark days in Division 4

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Can any one recall when his wife taped over all the goals he scored from Bristol City to record Coronation Street.

When was it because Jed Pitman(HTV) put all the goals together again for him

approx date would be fine

BUT a paper cutting would be even better

Thanks in advance

Also, what happened to Jed Pitman? Was a mainstay of local media for about a decade, then he vanished without trace.

7 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I remember us playing away at Aldershot shortly after he left us and had joined them.  He got an amazing welcome from us travelling fans and was a fitting reflection of how much we love an honest, wholehearted player.

Got many great memories of Glyn Riley and he really helped brighten those dark days in Division 4

Remember that one. Being a pro, he didn’t want to acknowledge the City applause, but he finally managed a bit of a wave. But his face- more emotion than I’ve ever seen from a footballer. Like astonishment, bereavement and joy rolled into one. And that Aldershot ground was an experience- a total of 4 about turnstiles at one end. Everyone went in together and we walked around to the away end.

Just now, Bedred31 said:

Remember that one. Being a pro, he didn’t want to acknowledge the City applause, but he finally managed a bit of a wave. But his face- more emotion than I’ve ever seen from a footballer. Like astonishment, bereavement and joy rolled into one. And that Aldershot ground was an experience- a total of 4 about turnstiles at one end. Everyone went in together and we walked around to the away end.

The Aldershot fans, on the other hand, were weird. Recall they spent half the game chanting anti- Welsh songs, as if Bristol was somehow part of the Principality!

13 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

The Aldershot fans, on the other hand, were weird. Recall they spent half the game chanting anti- Welsh songs, as if Bristol was somehow part of the Principality!

I once spent a weekend in Southport. Got chatting to some local girls in a pub and they were absolutely sure Bristol was in Wales. I had to borrow a pen off one of them and draw a map on a beer mat to convince them.

Edited by Red Shadow

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

And if you wanted to sit in the stand, you paid again at the stand entrance. Turnstiles were on the road, then you walked through a park to get to the ground. 

10 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

That was a fantastic day, despite the result - I’ve got a feeling it may have been John Pender’s debut too? Anyhow, the reception we gave Glyn Riley and his response was superb - he will always be a Bristol City legend to me. Interesting footnote to that day - I believe when we were walking out (marshalled by dear old Beryl) we heard that Man City had beaten Huddersfield 10-1 ... the solitary Huddersfield scorer that day? Andy May ... ?✌️?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That was a fantastic day, despite the result - I’ve got a feeling it may have been John Pender’s debut too? Anyhow, the reception we gave Glyn Riley and his response was superb - he will always be a Bristol City legend to me. Interesting footnote to that day - I believe when we were walking out (marshalled by dear old Beryl) we heard that Man City had beaten Huddersfield 10-1 ... the solitary Huddersfield scorer that day? Andy May ... ?✌️?

Funny that, that is one of my memories of that day too! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Do you what BS4, I can’t even remember the result now!  

My enduring memories of that day was a great piss up in Aldershot, staggering through the park to the ground and that fantastic reception for GR.  

Made me super proud to be a City fan that day and you could tell how much it meant to Glyn.

In the dark days of 1982 Glyn was a shining  light, A flamboyant goalscorer who every young City fan wanted to be. Him, , Big Tom, Alan Crawford and Howard Pritchard were great for us in that promotion season of 1984.

Then to be our first goalscorer at Wembley was very fitting for such a dedicated and hard working player. The biggest compliment I can give him is that I named my son Riley! Ps. The Mr's only found out why after it was on the birth certificate.?.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

My enduring memories of that day was a great piss up in Aldershot, staggering through the park to the ground and that fantastic reception for GR.  

Made me super proud to be a City fan that day and you could tell how much it meant to Glyn.

Edited by City oz

11 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I think we lost 2-1 - could be wrong though ...

37 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think we lost 2-1 - could be wrong though ...

After being on loan at Torquay Glyn left City for Aldershot in Oct. '87 for 15k, according to BCFC The first hundred years.

We played at Aldershot in L3 on 7th November, losing 2-1, so your memory is correct!

Over the next 2 years, while he was at Aldershot, we played them a further EIGHT times (7x in 1988 alone, is that a record?) - 3 more L3 games, a meeting in the Sherpa Vans Trophy, and an FA Cup tie that went to 3 replays, all 4 games being played within 12 days in Dec. '88 with City eventually winning the 4th meeting 1-0.

Glyn scored just 5 goals in 58 apps for Aldershot. His successful spell at City (61 goals in 199 apps.) was by far the most potent goal scoring period of his career.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

After being on loan at Torquay Glyn left City for Aldershot in Oct. '87 for 15k, according to BCFC The first hundred years.

We played at Aldershot in L3 on 7th November, losing 2-1, so your memory is correct!

Over the next 2 years, while he was at Aldershot, we played them a further EIGHT times (7x in 1988 alone, is that a record?) - 3 more L3 games, a meeting in the Sherpa Vans Trophy, and an FA Cup tie that went to 3 replays, all 4 games being played within 12 days in Dec. '88 with City eventually winning the 4th meeting 1-0.

Glyn scored just 5 goals in 58 apps for Aldershot. His successful spell at City (61 goals in 199 apps.) was by far the most potent goal scoring period of his career.

That FA cup replay was the first time I’d seen Steve Claridge…good player.

3 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

I seem to remember City playing at Cambridge when they had Claridge and Dion Dublin upfront?

Yep. Another endless session of Cup replays. IIRC we lost the toss for venue for the third one and had to go back up there the following week. That was a happy coach back to Bristol!

Got mullered 5-1 in the end I think.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Met him when, i was mascot, and he scored after 3 minutes.

A total gent.

His mrs taping over his goals with corrie, unforgivable.

When asked, why she did this,

Mrs riley, replied, i dont really no.....

wasnt her blokes name derek?.....the days when corrie was funny as **** the likes of reg holdsworth and fred elliot.....