IGNORED

Imagine these three together...

spudski

I don’t think we would ever have been able to afford George Best, apart from the days when his lifestyle took over, but Cheesley and Garland as a front two with Richie playing in a roaming role behind would have been amazing. If Paul Cheesley had been playing today the injury that ruined his career would have been sorted in a few months. Surgery for football injuries was more primitive in his day, but the way it was treated by City was disgraceful 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TBW said:

What's the story of George Best in a City kit?

It was a celebrity game played before one of the LDV Trophy finals that City played at Wembley. I think it was the one against Bolton but not sure.

Many many years ago Best signed for Hibs. I was still living in Scotland then and following my home town team Dunfermline Athletic.

They had a league game on a Sunday, which was highly unusual, against Hibs,at home, just after he had signed - it may have been his debut, but not sure.

Game was a total sell- out, simply because of George. He was overweight and never left the center circle....

Completely, ran the game,and showed what he could do even in his thirties. What a player he was.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Slacker said:

It was a celebrity game played before one of the LDV Trophy finals that City played at Wembley. I think it was the one against Bolton but not sure.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Here's a pic from that day...imagine again ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks Spudski I was pretty well convinced City (TV AM Robins) played in red that day against the PFA Trotters in Bolton Wanderers white. 

• Like 1

Paul Cheesley had everything before him. He was the spearhead for Dicks' side and him and Tom Ritchie made for a prolific partnership. He would've gone on to represent England, he was that good, before that career ending injury.

If ever there was an injury that was pivotal in a club's history then this was it. We never fully recovered from losing him and it totally affected the way we went on to play.  Back then you just couldn't go out and buy a striker of the same calibre unless you had the funds. At the time Paul Mariner would've been a good replacement.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Well my memory was well off, I found the match day programme for March 20 1976 , our year. Fulham did not have Best with them. They did have Mullery though, and Bobby Moore was there, but the week before this game they had dropped Moore. I am pretty sure then, that  Best signed later in 76 for the following season. What a season 76 was for us, made better that the gas had to watch us go to the top flight from the same division.  But some surprising teams were in the second level (based on current situation) , Plymouth, the gas, Leyton Orient, Oldham, York and Oxford. Also interesting, to note our really poor home attendance levels. Top of the league and getting only 14/15 k. Shows how decades of lack of success have been the real pull back on our crowd growth, so it makes it more impressive that we now sell 14k season tickets. Even against the gas we only got 18k. 

But the City side, well like many, you could name that side with your eyes shut !

But now I am trying to think, when did I see George Best. Did he not play in a charity match before one of the Freight Rover finals ? 

Look further up the thread...I put a pic up of Best playing. ??

On 07/07/2022 at 11:57, Swede said:

Paul Cheesley had everything before him. He was the spearhead for Dicks' side and him and Tom Ritchie made for a prolific partnership. He would've gone on to represent England, he was that good, before that career ending injury.

If ever there was an injury that was pivotal in a club's history then this was it. We never fully recovered from losing him and it totally affected the way we went on to play.  Back then you just couldn't go out and buy a striker of the same calibre unless you had the funds. At the time Paul Mariner would've been a good replacement.

Did we ever try to sign Mariner to replace Cheesley ?

43 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Did we ever try to sign Mariner to replace Cheesley ?

If my memory serves me, I think he was on the club's radar but out of our price range.  Ipswich, who were really starting to hit the heights at the time, had recognised his talent & signed him from Plymouth and that was that.