IGNORED

Taylor Moore To Shrewbury On Loan (Merged from Transfer Thread)

GrahamC

Ultimately, for the fee we paid (which wasn't his fault!) an absolutely horrendous signing

Constantly showed promise and then repeatedly blew his opportunities when they came.

I don't think it's all his fault as some of his management whilst here has also been questionable, didn't LJ publicly rip him a new one after an away game at Ipswich then he disappeared for months?

I'm glad our 'punts' as signings are now freebies/cheap like Tanner as opposed to £1m + as was the case of Moore.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Taylor Moore To Shrewbury On Loan (Merged from Transfer Thread)
9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I disagree.

Moore was 20 when we signed him, had already featured for Lens in Ligue 1 & was an England U20 player.

It hasn’t worked out but he seemed exactly the right “type” & unlike many we have signed I can completely understand why we did so.

Sounds a lot like hindsight to me.

I always liked him. He becAme a bit of a scapegoat. Always the one taken off by Mr Johnson for any reason or weird tactical change. 

The kid has had every last bit of confidence sucked out of him and has struggled to gain it back. 

If anyone is going to get the kids head straight it’s Steve C (blessings be upon him).

Getting Bristol City FC out of his hair and vice-versa is the only thing left. I will wager we will be playing him as a first teamer in the next few years. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Why not sell him ? ? 

The flip side to your question is why buy him if you can loan him for the season. I'm guessing we are paying a contribution too that Shewsbury can't match. 

Moore has been here years, but I feel that I've hardly seen him. He might as well go out on loan as lets face it he wasn't going to get ahead of any player here.

He was a gamble, but the sort of gamble that is easily done with someone else's money. I don't think many were ever that convinced. He had a good pedigree but no matter how hard we wanted him to come good, he was a great lad, it just didn't work in our team for him

Originally a great signing 'on paper' and I would guess most would agree that a 20 year old, youth international with first team experience was exactly the sort of player we should be targeting.

But that is on paper, and is as far as most of us fans would scout anyone. Stats look good, international? Excellent, someone who we can sell for a bundle in a few years? Absolutely.

You would have hoped that MA and LJ were a bit more thorough than that and would have watched him play a few times. I'm not sure they did and it was another club for the bag.

Hope the loan move works out well for him, but was never Championship standard.

• Like 2

Good move for TM.

Never rated him but if anyone can get the best out of him and kick start his career it's the master motivator Steve Cotterill.

Good luck to him, he should be OK in L1 under Cotts. but can't see him reappearing in the Championship.

28 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Why not sell him ? ? 

Amazing we didn’t think of that, eh?

He is on wages miles out of the league of many L1 clubs & those who could afford it clearly don’t want him.

He was told a year ago he had no future here & to be fair to him, reacted by joining Hearts on loan in the hope that they would sign him permanently, but they didn’t.

He has always been prepared to go out on loan, rather than sit in the stand & pick up his money for nothing.

Personally I don’t think he’s of Championship standard but unlike Palmer or Bakinson he has shown a decent attitude.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 14

A "punt" that I think was worth the risk, albeit another expensive one, however at least this one had the potential that others didn't.

Capped by England at every(most) levels up to the u20s, and made captain. On paper it was a good signing, and I think that had he had that extra bit of support from the management, rather than being thrown under the bus numerous times, and a better leader beside him on the pitch, he may have made more appearances. 

I'm not saying that he would have made it at this level, as his loans away from here have failed to produce glowing reviews, bit one of the better risks.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I disagree.

Moore was 20 when we signed him, had already featured for Lens in Ligue 1 & was an England U20 player.

It hasn’t worked out but he seemed exactly the right “type” & unlike many we have signed I can completely understand why we did so.

I understand why we made the transfer but a club in the position we are in should only be spending that kind of money on players who are going to improve us straightaway and a handful of appearances for Lens doesn't prove that. FWIW I also believe the same regarding HNM and that's another transfer we are only really able to judge depending on when/how he leaves the club. (Unless he signs a new deal.)

Obviously it's going to be hindsight because we are evaluating a transfer several years after it concluded, regardless as to whether or not we agreed/not agreed with the initial decision I think it's hard to argue against the fact it's been a poor transfer for a number of reasons.

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I disagree.

Agree for the most part. It is definitely hindsight when I say spending 1.5m on a project was daft of us(something we did a few times like with Engvall and reckon Palmer falls into that category as well). It is my main grumble with Lee Johnson being here. We signed players to not play.

If we had just played TM from the start perhaps his career goes differently. Worst case is you find out he isn’t the player you thought he was and shift him for probably a bit if a loss. He’d still have resale value being 21 and looked at with potential still. Even worse was giving him a new contract after his first real run in his time here. 

Been done to death but we just signed players left and right. The premise of buying young with resale was fine. Hell, we have done it under NP. Difference is everyone we sign now has a path to minutes. You can’t sell for profit if players aren’t playing. 

Anyway, wish TM the best. This wasn’t a great club for him but he always had a smile on his face. Like others said, he was happy to fight for a place and when he didn’t win the job he wanted to go somewhere he could. No ill will towards him it just didn’t work out

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Originally a great signing 'on paper' and I would guess most would agree that a 20 year old, youth international with first team experience was exactly the sort of player we should be targeting.

But that is on paper, and is as far as most of us fans would scout anyone. Stats look good, international? Excellent, someone who we can sell for a bundle in a few years? Absolutely.

You would have hoped that MA and LJ were a bit more thorough than that and would have watched him play a few times. I'm not sure they did and it was another club for the bag.

Hope the loan move works out well for him, but was never Championship standard.

“On paper”? He was captain of England U19s, playing for Lens and subject of a ten million Euro bid which Lens turned down. Presumably a few people outside BCFC thought he could play too.

Sometimes you can’t tell how far a young player will progress. It was a perfectly reasonable purchase at £1.5M given the market at the time.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Amazing we didn’t think of that, eh?

He is on wages miles out of the league of many L1 clubs & those who could afford it clearly don’t want him.

He was told a year ago he had no future here & to be fair to him, reacted by joining Hearts on loan in the hope that they would sign him permanently, but they didn’t.

He has always been prepared to go out on loan, rather than sit in the stand & pick up his money for nothing.

Personally I don’t think he’s of Championship standard but unlike Palmer or Bakinson he has shown a decent attitude.

Yeah I think this is it for me. There can be no questions over Moores attitude whatsoever - from the “pay cut” episode to the willingness to go wherever for football, he’s clearly in it because he wants to play football, as opposed to loving being a footballer. Ironically, that attitude may have led to us keeping him longer than we should as all parties desperately wanted it to work.

I remember when Webster left posting “If not now for Taylor Moore then when?” as that seemed the right time for him (post a good L1 loan, seemingly ready to kick on). However, the answer seems to have been “never”.

I don’t think anyone will wish him anything other than the best. The signing made sense at the time considering pedigree and where the market was, it just didn’t work, but I don’t think there can be any fault with TMs attitude here.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1