IGNORED

Taylor Moore To Shrewbury On Loan (Merged from Transfer Thread)

GrahamC

I honestly think Taylor Moore has absolutely everything needed to be a top-class central defender except for the ability to concentrate for 90 minutes and eliminate mistakes from his game. Unfortunately the two aspects he lacks are probably the two most important things needed. I wish him well but he will never play regularly beyond League One unless he can fix the glaring weaknesses. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hope the loan move works out well for him, but was never Championship standard.

I can think of two spells when I thought he did….alongside Ashley Williams in 19/20 (due to injuries) in a back four, and between Vyner/Kalas and Mawson in 20/21 (under Holden) in a back three.

He might not have been a “first pick”, and I know that he had some games where he got caught switching off, but when paired with a “talker” like Williams he showed he was capable of being a Championship squad member.

Imho ?

• Like 18

I think I saw Shrewsbury had odds of around 7/1 the other day to make the play offs. 

Might be worth keeping an eye on their remaining business this summer. Could be outsiders. 

Whilst Moore may not be up to our standard, he could be a very good fit for Shrewsbury. 

Nice lad and seems like a proper professional, just needs to find some stability somewhere. 

I think this a great move for all three parties - us, Shrewsbury and Moore. We get at least some of his wages off the books, and if he does well, we can activate the 1 year option and try and get some money (assuming the marketplace is better in a year). Shrewsbury get a player they can hopefully improve, and Moore gets a chance to play and better himself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I honestly think Taylor Moore has absolutely everything needed to be a top-class central defender except for the ability to concentrate for 90 minutes and eliminate mistakes from his game. Unfortunately the two aspects he lacks are probably the two most important things needed. I wish him well but he will never play regularly beyond League One unless he can fix the glaring weaknesses. 

If he can’t cut out the errors in defence, he could possibly step up to CDM. He is confident on the ball and some of his best moments were surging runs upfield with the ball at his feet. Perhaps he could develop into a Pack type role, patrolling in front of a back four.

• Thanks 1

As others have mentioned, his attitude has always seemed good. I thought he showed real promise in that season he was starting regularly just before he went out on loan, but he’s clearly      surplus to requirements here. Best of luck to him. 

• Like 1

Soooo….

No one would take him permanently because of the massive wages (relatively speaking) he’s on compared to the level of club interested in him. As a result we’ve had to settle for a loan deal where Shrews will only pay a portion of his current wages (with us probably still picking up over 50%) until his contract runs out in a year.

Sound about right or miles off it?

4 hours ago, Swede said:

I doubt it means an incoming. He hasn't been part of our plans for a while. Signing for Cotts might be just what he needs.

I don’t think it “means” an incoming but I suspect one is planned anyway. Pearson has talked about two or three more signings. Given Vyner is out of favour and Cundy is gone, I would have thought a right sided centre back as cover/competition for Kalas is one of those planned incomings.

Edited by LondonBristolian

Good luck to him- looked good on paper and at times on grass- think early season as I think Dave mentioned 2020/21 in particular.

I'd also say loaning him out in Jan 2020 perhaps harsh- could a back 3 of say him right sided with a bit of license to carry, Kalas in the middle and Benkovic have been of use? Certainly strikes me looking back as the right profile of a 3 at that time to play a higher line IMO- all technically sound too in their own ways, albeit Kalas the most conservative of the 3- but that's fine, 2 potential carriers, one deeper albeit with the odd driving run in the middle possible.

Nice addition for Shrewsbury and in particular Cotts too- some useful additions there, an outside bet for a tilt at the League 1 playoffs? Udoh is still there too.

Back to us- it is another chipping away at the likely FFP deficit, although how big remains to be seen.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

On 04/07/2022 at 17:56, Leveller said:

If he can’t cut out the errors in defence, he could possibly step up to CDM. He is confident on the ball and some of his best moments were surging runs upfield with the ball at his feet. Perhaps he could develop into a Pack type role, patrolling in front of a back four.

Interesting that this is now exactly what Cotterill says he bought him for - ie CDM in front of the defence.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Interesting that this is now exactly what Cotterill says he bought him for - ie CDM in front of the defence.

What's also interesting is the fact that CDM is a position we're crying out for really, and you have to assume that the management here have looked at playing Moore in that position, but still don't like him there - whether that's because of his ability/ceiling, or his tendency to "switch off" during games and always looking like he has a mistake in him, who knows. 

It will be interesting if Cotts can get him playing well in that position, because as we know, he is great at getting the best out of his players. It will be something worth keeping an eye on.

If he does do well there in that position, of course you have the argument that it's then at a lower level than we are currently at, so could he have done it here as well? 

I Like the sound of this and can see it working really well. TM has a fantastic attitude and believe he has the ability, but maybe a confidence issue and how to deal with mistakes in a game.

Hope it brings out the player he can be and we end up taking the year contract option to come back and play for us