IGNORED

European clubs

22A

The Champions League has started. Amazing Welsh, Irish & Scottish clubs seemingly always get draw against each other. TNS beat Linfield tonight.

Looking wider; Bodo/Glimt did the double over Celtic last season, but they have to play in the first qualifying round this season. Other teams who've done well not so long back, but are in this early round are Ferencvaros, Slovan Bratislava and Malmo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=UEFA&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB803GB803&oq=UEFA&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i433i512l2j0i131i433i512j46i433i512l2j0i512j0i131i433j0i512j0i433i512.5610j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/g/11mvmxlddg;2;/m/0c1q0;mt;fp;1;;

On 05/07/2022 at 22:12, Dr Balls said:

As well as former finalists (Malmö), Sheriff Tiraspol who beat Real Madrid at the group stage last season are also having to go through the first qualifying round. Amazing!

Tuesday night Malmo progressed to the next round with a 6-5 aggregate win v Reykjavik. Sherif are out 3-2 on aggregate.

Bod/Glimt play tonight, but should be safe having won their first leg 3-0.

https://www.uefa.com/livescores/?date=2022-07-12

19 minutes ago, 22A said:

Tuesday night Malmo progressed to the next round with a 6-5 aggregate win v Reykjavik. Sherif are out 3-2 on aggregate.

Bod/Glimt play tonight, but should be safe having won their first leg 3-0.

https://www.uefa.com/livescores/?date=2022-07-12

Who shot down the Sherif…?

• Haha 1

On 05/07/2022 at 21:44, 22A said:

The Champions League has started. Amazing Welsh, Irish & Scottish clubs seemingly always get draw against each other. TNS beat Linfield tonight.

Looking wider; Bodo/Glimt did the double over Celtic last season, but they have to play in the first qualifying round this season. Other teams who've done well not so long back, but are in this early round are Ferencvaros, Slovan Bratislava and Malmo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=UEFA&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB803GB803&oq=UEFA&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i433i512l2j0i131i433i512j46i433i512l2j0i512j0i131i433j0i512j0i433i512.5610j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/g/11mvmxlddg;2;/m/0c1q0;mt;fp;1;;

The New Saints are an English club though (Shropshire). ?

So here we go again! Actual Champions of their national leagues last season are required to go through endless qualifying rounds while also rans or champions of sod all like Chelsea, Barcelona etc get a bye straight through to the lucrative league stages. Said it before and I'll say it again UEFAs stance of opposition to the European super league was pure expedient politics as they support the would be breakaway clubs in every other way. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

The New Saints are an English club though (Shropshire). ?

They play in England (Oswestry), but they also represent a Welsh town (Llansantffraid) which is where they began.

Hence their full name -The New Saints of Oswestry Town & Llansantffraid football club, bit of a gob full, so known as just TNS.

TNS was originally an IT and logistics company bought out by BT and to keep the name TNS they had to call themselves The New Saints.

• Thanks 1

Champions League 2nd qualifying round,1st leg tris week.

Last night Linfield beat Bodo/ Glimt 1-0 ?

Earlier in this thread the complaint was raised that the Champions of smaller leagues have to play qualifiers whilst 4th placed in other nation's leagues come in at the lucrative stage. Here's UEFA's explanation:-

Before the highly-publicized Champions League group stage, there are two preliminary rounds, four qualifying rounds, and one playoff round for teams to progress through, hoping to reach the popular and lucrative group stage.

While 26 teams have already confirmed places in the group stage for the 2022/23 competition, there are still six spots available for teams that progress through the qualifying and playoff rounds.

Placement of teams within each phase is determined by UEFA's country coefficient, which is a mathematical formula that accounts for the finishing position of teams from that league in European competitions over the previous five years.

There are two coefficients to consider: league coefficient and club coefficient. As previously explained, league coefficient measures the overall achievements of a whole league in European competition, used for determining how many teams from each league qualify to the competition and what round of competition they enter. Club coefficient, meanwhile, is used to determine which teams in each round of competition are seeded for the draw and which teams are unseeded.

The second qualifying round introduces a Champions Path and a League Path, which are both constructed as they sound. The Champions Path includes all teams that qualified for the competition by winning their domestic league, while the League Path includes teams that qualified by domestic table finish but did not earn a league title.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Champions League 2nd qualifying round,1st leg tris week.

Last night Linfield beat Bodo/ Glimt 1-0 ?

Earlier in this thread the complaint was raised that the Champions of smaller leagues have to play qualifiers whilst 4th placed in other nation's leagues come in at the lucrative stage. Here's UEFA's explanation:-

Before the highly-publicized Champions League group stage, there are two preliminary rounds, four qualifying rounds, and one playoff round for teams to progress through, hoping to reach the popular and lucrative group stage.

While 26 teams have already confirmed places in the group stage for the 2022/23 competition, there are still six spots available for teams that progress through the qualifying and playoff rounds.

Placement of teams within each phase is determined by UEFA's country coefficient, which is a mathematical formula that accounts for the finishing position of teams from that league in European competitions over the previous five years.

There are two coefficients to consider: league coefficient and club coefficient. As previously explained, league coefficient measures the overall achievements of a whole league in European competition, used for determining how many teams from each league qualify to the competition and what round of competition they enter. Club coefficient, meanwhile, is used to determine which teams in each round of competition are seeded for the draw and which teams are unseeded.

The second qualifying round introduces a Champions Path and a League Path, which are both constructed as they sound. The Champions Path includes all teams that qualified for the competition by winning their domestic league, while the League Path includes teams that qualified by domestic table finish but did not earn a league title.

Yes but…

If 3-4 teams from a particular league automatically qualify for the league stages of the Champions League then immediately that league is going to do better than a league where only one team qualifies for the qualifying stages and has to get through those even to make the group stages. Basically like so much of life these days it pretends to be meritocratic but actually just reinforces privilege by skewing things right from the start. If all the teams from the “bigger leagues” of England, Spain, Italy and Germany had to go through qualifying they wouldn’t all make it to the group stages through a knockout process, because football often throws up surprising results. That’s the joy of cup competitions, which those who want a guaranteed income stream hate of which the ultimate would be the breakaway European league.

• Like 2

Having been told the SPL is improving; last week Motherwell  dropped out, being beaten by Sligo Rovers. Then last night Rangers were beaten 2-0 by a Belgian club playing in the Champions League for the first time.

If Rangers are able to turn this around in the 2nd leg, they play the winners of Monaco & PSV.

On 03/08/2022 at 18:27, 22A said:

Having been told the SPL is improving; last week Motherwell  dropped out, being beaten by Sligo Rovers. Then last night Rangers were beaten 2-0 by a Belgian club playing in the Champions League for the first time.

If Rangers are able to turn this around in the 2nd leg, they play the winners of Monaco & PSV.

Well done Rangers; you proved me wrong. You did turn round that 2-0 deficit.

All the best for the next round and good luck also to  Shamrock Rovers who have progressed to the next round.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Linfield (N I Champions) are out having lost to Alkmaar. In the Europa conference, Dundee U are getting thumped in their game. 5-1 on aggregate at present.

Linfield used to be my go to every Football Manager release, so I’ve always had a soft spot for them.  It’s a shame champions of all European leagues don’t get a golden ticket into the group stages, although I guess that would cause such financial disparity in smaller countries in terms of the domestic leagues. 

Linfield were 1-0 up in extra time tonight and about a minute away from reaching the group stage of the Europa Conference League.

Then they blew a 4 on 1 break to make the game safe, their Latvian opponents broke away, put a cross in which the Linfield defender sliced into his own net, via the crossbar.

They then missed their first 2 penalties and went on to lose the shootout.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Sad 1

On 11/08/2022 at 07:58, 22A said:

Well done Rangers; you proved me wrong. You did turn round that 2-0 deficit.

All the best for the next round and good luck also to  Shamrock Rovers who have progressed to the next round.

Oh dear. We are now in the group stage and Celtic lose 3-0 at home, Rangers lose 4-0 away and Hearts lose 4-0 at home. Motherwell didn't even make it this far. using UEFA's guidelines; will there be one less pace or Scottish clubs next season?