IGNORED

Cheltenham Town friendly match day thread

Good day fellow-Reds and welcome to a new season one and all ?

This is the first of six domestic friendlies for us before beginning the Championship campaign with a trip to Hull City on July 30. We face  Cheltenham Town at the HPC with a 2 pm kick off. There is no access for supporters to watch the match, however, the game will be streamed live on Robins TV.

Nigel consistently says these games are about the performance and results are unimportant. We played them last July and won 4-0 with Wells getting a hat-trick, https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-v-cheltenham-town-4444709

Cheltenham faced Evesham United in their first friendly last Saturday. The club's pre-season opener, which they won 4-0, was the first game in charge for new head coach Wade Elliott. https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evesham-united-v-cheltenham-town-7284537

They also have friendlies lined-up against Cardiff and Birmingham.

Wade recently succeeded Michael Duff who is now managing Barnsley. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61783557 and https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61950526

For more recent City followers Wade Elliott joined us in January 2014 on a one-month loan from Birmingham City. He made his debut as a half-time substitute at Brentford when we were already 3–1 behind, and was booked early in the half for a poor tackle. He went on to impress manager Steve Cotterill, who admitted that he had " thrown him in too soon after not playing regular first team football since October" and Elliott's loan was extended to the end of the season.

After his release from Birmingham, Elliott joined us on a one-year permanent contract. Cotterill appointed him captain, describing him as "a stand-out candidate" who "offers a great deal of honesty, integrity and leadership." He led us to the double of the Football League Trophy and the League One  title then announced his retirement as a player to take up coaching.

Until very recently it was thought that Cheltenham Town Football Club was founded in 1892. However, recent evidence points to the origins being five years earlier when Mr Albert Close White returned to his native Cheltenham from college in London to take up a teaching post. While away on his studies Mr White discovered the game of association football and he is now credited with being the first person to introduce the sport to the town of Cheltenham. Trials were held at the East Glos Cricket Ground in 1887 and the club was born.

The club went on to spend its first three decades in local football, where a number of championships and cup wins were celebrated. The team played at three grounds within half a mile of their current home, namely Agg-Gardner's Recreation Ground, Whaddon Lane and Carter's Field. The most notable players during this time included Gloucestershire cricketers Charles Barnett and Gilbert Jessop; and Mr Phil Bach, who later played for Sunderland and became one of only two players to graduate from Cheltenham Town before going on to play for the full England team.

In competitive matches we’ve faced them eight times, winning five, losing two and drawing one:

12 Jan 2000

Bristol City v Cheltenham Town W 3-1

Auto Windscreens Shield

21 Aug 2001

Bristol City v Cheltenham Town W 2-1

League Cup

14 Sep 2002

Cheltenham Town v Bristol City W 2-3

League Division 2

01 Mar 2003

Bristol City v Cheltenham Town W 3-1

League Division 2

22 Aug 2006

Cheltenham Town v Bristol City L 2-1

League Cup

23 Dec 2006

Cheltenham Town v Bristol City D 2-2

League One

31 Jan 2007

Bristol City v Cheltenham Town L 0-1

League One

08 Oct 2014

Cheltenham Town v Bristol City W 1-3

They finished in 15th place in league one last season.

On Monday they re-signed striker Dan Nlundulu on loan until January from Southampton. Nlundulu, 23, made four appearances for the them last season but suffered a hamstring injury which cut short his first loan spell. The forward developed through the Saints academy and has played 16 times for their first team since his debut in 2020.

Sit back, try and relax and enjoy the ride. It’s good to be back to having City matches to watch.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Sorry not very good with technology but here are a few pages from printed programme tonight ( even if upside down )

BCFC are not doing an issue ( digitally or printed for all 4 home Friendlies )

This is done by Bristol City Supporters for The Bristol City Supporters 

Top quality issues called The CIDEREDS 16 pages of football

Produced when BCFC decline to participate

Printed programmes available 

email address 

info@bristolcityprogrammes.com

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

Hey guys, would any season ticket holder have a spare code for Robins TV this afternoon to watch this, please?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, footie said:

I'm also after a code if there is another available please! Thanks

I understood season ticket holders would get codes. Has anyone had them? If so how were they received?

None received by me or my family yet.

2 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I understood season ticket holders would get codes. Has anyone had them? If so how were they received?

None received by me or my family yet.

I asked this question a little while ago, then upon some digging found the email had been sent yesterday and was in my junk mail - hope this helps!

• Thanks 1