IGNORED

Cheltenham Town friendly match day thread

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Obviously pre season games are for Nige and his coaches to assess levels of fitness and how the players gel together along with game time for pretty much the entire squad.

What these pre season matches do is tell us fans nothing at all and why I have very little interest in them. In fact in over 50 seasons I’ve never ever watched one…………:dunno:

And every year you tell us about it :sleeping:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11
4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Obviously pre season games are for Nige and his coaches to assess levels of fitness and how the players gel together along with game time for pretty much the entire squad.

What these pre season matches do is tell us fans nothing at all and why I have very little interest in them. In fact in over 50 seasons I’ve never ever watched one…………:dunno:

That makes no sense at all Robbo.

You say these games show Nige and coaches fitness levels and whether players gel. But apparently tell fans ' nothing'.

If fans can't see that basic, pre season, then they have no right to comment during match day threads.

We as fans would do well to look through the eyes of a manager and coach, to give a better understanding during the season.

For example...look at Art and Music. You listen or look at the finished product. You get some gratification. Delve deeper to the process of creating that end product, and you get a higher appreciation. The same can be said for fans, watching the ' process'. It gives you better understanding, appreciation, meaning, knowledge and enjoyment.

Basics...your view on pre season is like having sex with no foreplay. 

Said with respect...but you'd get far more pleasure from following differently ???

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1
17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Really?  You’ll be telling us next you don’t rate Scottish football.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Difficult to understand any fan who is not interested in seeing new signings for the first time.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, spudski said:

That makes no sense at all Robbo.

You say these games show Nige and coaches fitness levels and whether players gel. But apparently tell fans ' nothing'.

If fans can't see that basic, pre season, then they have no right to comment during match day threads.

We as fans would do well to look through the eyes of a manager and coach, to give a better understanding during the season.

For example...look at Art and Music. You listen or look at the finished product. You get some gratification. Delve deeper to the process of creating that end product, and you get a higher appreciation. The same can be said for fans, watching the ' process'. It gives you better understanding, appreciation, meaning, knowledge and enjoyment.

Basics...your view on pre season is like having sex with no foreplay. 

Said with respect...but you'd get far more pleasure from following differently ???

I’m not a coach Spudski and and nor do I get any pleasure from watching football with nothing on the game.

When it comes to competitive games I always look at what the set up is, who is playing where, tactical changes et el - part of the game experience.

38 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Is Kallas injured?

Just wondering why Vyner was given 30 mins and not Kallas, unless that is a sign the club want Kallas to go?

He’s still coming back from the operation he had the back end of last season. He was in Austria doing the bleep tests with the squad giving him good backing . He must be at least two weeks behind everyone else . The videos are all on YouTube 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not a coach Spudski and and nor do I get any pleasure from watching football with nothing on the game.

When it comes to competitive games I always look at what the set up is, who is playing where, tactical changes et el - part of the game experience.

You don't have to be a coach fella.

But as a fan who gives comments on threads after match day, it would give anyone commenting better accuman if they had better understanding as to how a team has been selected, process etc.

If you just turn up and watch a game, and base your thoughts purely on the 90 mins, without knowing what's gone on beforehand, then it's futile when commenting and has no substance.

You must see that as an intelligent person.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
36 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Difficult to understand any fan who is not interested in seeing new signings for the first time.

I have little interest in preseason mainly because there is nothing on the line and players aren't going at full steam,

I dont begrudge those who like it, the only issue I generally take is when a bad result pops up and some people go mental like we've lost a cup final or something,

1 minute ago, spudski said:

But as a fan who gives comments on threads after match day, it would give anyone commenting better accuman if they had better understanding as to how a team has been selected, process etc.

I leave that to the coaches/manager who obviously knows how the players have been performing at training. These guys are well qualified to make assessments

If you just turn up and watch a game, and base your thoughts purely on the 90 mins, without knowing what's gone on beforehand, then it's futile when commenting and has no substance.

I don’t know what goes on at training other from the occasional videos on the OS so according to you my post match comments have no substance………….:dunno:

Surely the majority of fans have little or no understanding of how the team was selected? 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Your last sentence resonates.

How many times have I heard from fans, that so and so was shit, played awful...not good enough.

Then when you explain to them the road a player has had, either via academy, return from injury, league below etc etc...they can grasp circumstances better.

We can all watch player development and circumstance.

Bristol City are a Club...not just a first team.

Taking interest in all of it, gives better understanding to the final match day outcome.

• Like 8
41 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Louise Gould - daughter of Jonathan Gould (who is himself the brother of City CEO Richard Gould). 

She's previously worked for Celtic TV. 

Blimey, are we now the Tory Government?

Honestly surprised she’s had past experience presenting sports. 

• Sad 1
46 minutes ago, spudski said:

How many times have I heard from fans, that so and so was shit, played awful...not good enough.

Then when you explain to them the road a player has had, either via academy, return from injury, league below etc etc...they can grasp circumstances better.

Taking interest in all of it, gives better understanding to the final match day outcome.

It’s not necessary to patronise Spudski -Of course I and other fans have an understanding of what any particular player has experienced usually in terms of injuries but also appreciate that inexperienced lads may struggle in with the hurly burly of the Championship, factors that usually get taken into consideration when commenting post match.

We’re not a bunch of philistines…….……..:cool2:

By and large we fans get much of our information from Nige’s pressers and subsequent reports in the Post.

Edited by Robbored
  • Hmmm 2

sorry, just catching up on the MDT.

5 hours ago, Negan said:

Agreed. If Wilson doesn’t get injured he’s playing every game, has looked insanely good. Every ball he puts in is absolutely begging to be tapped in. 

I honestly think him and Tanner will share a lot of minutes this season, lots of 60/30, 70/20 games to ensure 90-minute intensity.  Having 5 subs will aid this, same with Dasilva and Pring on the other side.  I’m sure Wilson is seen as no1 as it stands, but I don’t think he will start every game.

FWIW I thought Tanner was excellent when he came on, even w/o the goal.

5 hours ago, Selred said:

Who is the new presenter? Dire presenter but she’s rather lovely on the eye at least. 

Louise…

…Louise Gould, daughter of Jon Gould (who is brother of Richard)!!!

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Watch the 'Curtis Fleming Mic'd Up' video that was put out last week - barring a change in formation, which seems highly unlikely, Sykes is being asked to play a role he's completely unfamiliar with.

Whether he can get to grips with it is anyone's guess at this stage. 

He’s played the role with Oxford a fair bit, was only last season he started to play Right wing.  Up to then he’d played centrally in midfield or as an attacking midfield.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Is Kallas injured?

Just wondering why Vyner was given 30 mins and not Kallas, unless that is a sign the club want Kallas to go?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Still recovering from his operation.

He had a niggle not related to his groin op, so a bit behind the others…hence why he was doing running in his own in Austria.  I was encouraged that he was involved in some of the sessions, as I’d heard he was a bit further behind than he appears to be.

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

Your last sentence resonates.

Great post.

• Thanks 1
  • Admin

Not sure why anyone is bothering to reply to someone who claims never to have watched a pre-season friendly in 50 years but feels qualified to dispute what those of us who do might determine from them.

Finally gonna do myself a favour and put him on ignore. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course I and other fans have an understanding of what any particular player has experienced usually in terms of injuries but also appreciate that inexperienced lads may struggle in with the hurly burly of the Championship, factors that usually get taken into consideration when commenting post match.

We’re not a bunch of philistines Spudski…….……..:cool2:

By and large we fans get much of our information from Nige’s pressers and subsequent reports in the Post.

I'm not saying anyone is a philistine.

The point being...you will regularly post that you have no interest in pre season.

Yet...will comment regularly about match day performance etc 

I get it, if you don't have time.

But you obviously do. My point stands...the more you take interest in everything outside of the 90 mins, the greater the understanding.

How can you listen to a presser by Nige and not understand the full context he maybe refering too?

I often wonder how many of our fan base actually take a full interest and understanding.

The amount of times I hear fans talk about money, spending it, Lansdown etc...not spending ...then you mention FFP to them. Explain it. They literally have no idea.

Forum users will get the gist. But many don't have a Scooby...and base all their views on 90 mins, reading Lansdown is a billionaire, and never fully understand the complexities of the situation.

It's often futile and frustrating. 

• Like 5
43 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Not sure why anyone is bothering to reply to someone who claims never to have watched a pre-season friendly in 50 years but feels qualified to dispute what those of us who do might determine from them.

Finally gonna do myself a favour and put him on ignore. 

Took a couple of decades, but ditto.

In terms of today’s game it was quite nice to see pre-season start with a system / shape we recognise, albeit some differences, mainly the high starting positions of our wingbacks. It did lead to a bit of stodginess getting the ball into Cheltenham’s half in the opening half hour, but you could see signs of what we were trying to do.  When we did move it a bit quicker (before Lloyd could drop in to make an extra man in midfield) or Klose or Atkinson strode into midfield, we looked a bit more like it.

We ended the first half in a dominant position, with chances starting to flow.

We also saw how Wilson is an obvious outlet for a flicked ball round the corner from low passes into Wells and Sykes.

It was also encouraging to see both James and Williams taking opportunities to get forward and get shots off (and a header), rather than just sitting in front of the back three.  Both forced good saves from Harris.

I was really interested to see how Sykes performed and he got a nice tick from me.  I liked how he goes both ways and has good first time technique.  He popped up in good spaces throughout.

As for the back three, they were pretty comfortable, Klose showing his two-footedness, you can’t tell what he favours, but he has played most of his career as a right sided CB.  Naismith vocal, although he did get caught wrong side once.  Atkinson was solid, and broke forward a couple of times to good effect.

Up top, Martin looked a bit lacking in fitness having missed Austria, and Wells ran his channels well, linking well with Wilson.  Both James and Williams had good chances to put him in during early possession phases, but the wind affected passes.

But the highlights were in the width provided by our WBs.

Wilson, first half was excellent, and he crosses into great areas.  He almost scored inside 30 seconds, and it was a really nice performance to whet the appetite of fans.

On the other side, and I’ve said it many times before, Dasilva is better moving onto the ball, so a high starting position means he is often receiving the ball moving half-towards his teammates, when ideally you want him facing his opponent on receipt.  But when we broke lines, we saw how he can get in on the overlap.  It’s was fine, but not as exciting as the other flank.

Was good to see a straight swap on the hour, rather than a system change.

Having mentioned Dasilva above, we saw how the more “bombing” style employed with Cam Pring in the final 30.  The first goal was a lovely give and go with King, sucking in his marker and spinning him.  A cross that Bell would’ve bundled in had the keeper not parried to Tanner, to control and drill home.  The second goal followed nice play from Idehen, then Pring’s physical play to get past his marker…then slow down to compose a pass to Conway.

Tanner gave Wilson a run for his money as MOTM imho, with an excellent 30 minute display, giving us just as much as Wilson.  That bodes well.

So, a pretty positive opening pre-season fixture.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In terms of today’s game it was quite nice to see pre-season start with a system / shape we recognise, albeit some differences, mainly the high starting positions of our wingbacks. It did lead to a bit of stodginess getting the ball into Cheltenham’s half in the opening half hour, but you could see signs of what we were trying to do.  When we did move it a bit quicker (before Lloyd could drop in to make an extra man in midfield) or Klose or Atkinson strode into midfield, we looked a bit more like it.

We also saw how Wilson is an obvious outlet for a flicked ball round the corner from low passes into Wells and Sykes.

It was also encouraging to see both James and Williams taking opportunities to get forward and get shots off (and a header), rather than just sitting in front of the back three.  Both forced good saves from Harris.

I was really interested to see how Sykes performed and he got a nice tick from me.  I liked how he goes both ways and has good first time technique.  He popped up in good spaces throughout.

As for the back three, they were pretty comfortable, Klose showing his two-footedness, you can’t tell what he favours, but he has played most of his career as a right sided CB.  Naismith vocal, although he did get caught wrong side once.  Atkinson was solid, and broke forward a couple of times to good effect.

Up top, Martin looked a bit lacking in fitness having missed Austria, and Wells ran his channels well, linking well with Wilson.  Both James and Williams had good chances to put him in during early possession phases, but the wind affected passes.

Wilson, first half was excellent, and he crosses into great areas.  He almost scored inside 30 seconds, and it was a really nice performance to whet the appetite of fans.

On the other side, and I’ve said it many times before, Dasilva is better moving onto the ball, so a high starting position means he is often receiving the ball moving half-towards his teammates, when ideally you want him facing his opponent on receipt.  But when we broke lines, we saw how he can get in on the overlap.  It’s was fine, but not as exciting as the other flank.

Having mentioned Dasilva above, we saw how the more “bombing” style employed with Cam Pring in the final 30.  The first goal was a lovely give and go with King, sucking in his marker and spinning him.  A cross that Bell would’ve bundled in had the keeper not parried to Tanner, to control and drill home.  The second goal followed nice play from Idehen, then Pring’s physical play to get past his marker…then slow down to compose a pass to Conway.

Tanner gave Wilson a run for his money as MOTM imho, with an excellent 30 minute display, giving us just as much as Wilson.  That bodes well.

So what you're saying is, it's the most exciting side we've had since Cotts?! ??

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed, my only slight issue was that we still seem to be giving too many opportunities to cross the ball into the box. That might be something we just have to accept with wingbacks bombing forward? 

I like to see Klose and Atkinson getting forward, although I imagine we aren't likely to see Rob getting brought down for penalties in those sort of situations outside the friendlies. :) Also not sure we can afford to have him and the lwb in the opposition penalty area very often.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It will be interesting to see who he picks at RWB for the Hull game.  I see Wilson and Tanner complementing each other.  Wilson is a better crosser,  but George a better tackler who has some championship experience.  My hunch is he’ll start with Tanner at Hull, but over the season I can see them interchanging on a regular basis.  
One thing is for sure, Both are exciting prospects.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Agreed, my only slight issue was that we still seem to be giving too many opportunities to cross the ball into the box. That might be something we just have to accept with wingbacks bombing forward? 

I like to see Klose and Atkinson getting forward, although I imagine we aren't likely to see Rob getting brought down for penalties in those sort of situations outside the friendlies. :) Also not sure we can afford to have him and the lwb in the opposition penalty area very often.

As long as they are being covered with others dropping back, I can't see a problem.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why are you commenting on, or even reading, this tmtooic then..? 

You think pre-season games are completely meaningless - then what does that make your post on the subject, giving your pointless opinion...? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I thought I saw Viner on the list but skipping through the posts I haven't spotted him being mentioned (could have missed it), do you think NP may have decided to give him another chance.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

We have spent most of the last 7 years in and around mid table, a hell of a lot of our matches therefore had nothing on them apart from watching the club we love or just for the sheer spectacle of competition, are you then saying you have had no interest in these matches? an awful lot of our games have had nothing on them so I would suggest City are not the best club for you to be a supporter of in that case.

Edited by pillred
  • Hmmm 1
32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

As we saw today the WBs can be a strength, but also a weakness…and exposed in some ways by playing a “2 and a 1” in midfield rather than a “flatter 3”.  James and Williams can’t cover half the width of a pitch when the ball goes down one side, so either Weimann (or Sykes today) drop in, or we have to accept our side CBs have to shuffle over too.  It’s not as simple as that either, as the front two have to work hard to stop them coming back and quickly “going back out the other wing”.

But the flipside is the positives of it.

No system is win:win!

The other point I forgot to mention was that it was Naismith who played CB3 and Atkinson LCB3…it could’ve easily been the other way around.  Something to watch over pre-season to see if they swap at any point.