IGNORED

Next time you see a footballer "injured"...

SecretSam

...and writhing round on the pitch following a slight tap, consider that in yesterday's Tour de France stage, Primoz Roglic crashed, dislocating his shoulder, popped it back in by the side of the road and then finished the stage (another 50km or so).

Edited by SecretSam
"writhing"
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

...and writhing round on the pitch following a slight tap, consider that in yesterday's Tour de France stage, Primoz Roglic crashed, dislocating his shoulder, popped it back in by the side of the road and then finished the stage (another 50km or so).

Those guys are really hard core. 

This is a bit of a lazy trope, isn’t it?

There are clearly footballers who roll around on the floor making out they are injured when they aren’t. Neymar is the most obvious example, he’s a cheat.

But as I recall Nathan Baker got stick on here for making too much of injuries & going off the pitch at the drop of a hat & look how that one turned out.

Fair play too for maintaining interest in something that has been blatantly riddled with huge numbers of drug cheats, by the way.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's the steroids pumping round their veins..

image.png.a343899ed6c183cae2a9508552188c68.png

nothing to see here - just unfounded rumours - although I think the scrutineers might want to check the bike for illegal substances! :D

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There are clearly footballers who roll around on the floor making out they are injured when they aren’t. Neymar is the most obvious example, he’s a cheat.

But as I recall Nathan Baker got stick on here for making too much of injuries & going off the pitch at the drop of a hat & look how that one turned out.

Fair play too for maintaining interest in something that has been blatantly riddled with huge numbers of drug cheats, by the way.

To add to your point, it's a bit of a pointless comparison IMHO, there is no advantage to exacerbating an injury in cycling, obviously teams get a massive advantage from from the opposition getting a red card.

You have to look at the motivation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pezo said:

To add to your point, it's a bit of a pointless comparison IMHO, there is no advantage to exacerbating an injury in cycling, obviously teams get a massive advantage from from the opposition getting a red card.

I watched the ladies football last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

They were all professionals...some semi maybe on the Austrian side??? representing their countries, and none of them seemed to feel the need to shout, scream and roll about in pathetic agony in order to gain any sort of advantage.

It was a breath of fresh air...the way the game should be played!

• Like 4

I forget the match but for some reason I was sitting lower Williams (rare event) near the Open End when Baird got clattered right in front of us. He didn't move and looked in pain. My colleague accused him of feigning and being soft.

Buster F trundled on, fiddled around with a sponge for a few moments then pulled Baird into a sitting position, slapped him hard a couple of times on the back encouraging him to get up. Baird played on though visibly struggled.

Later that evening Baird went to A&E coughing blood and struggling for breath, two broken ribs having punctured his lung.

I'm not sure how good a cyclist he was....

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

I forget the match but for some reason I was sitting lower Williams (rare event) near the Open End when Baird got clattered right in front of us. He didn't move and looked in pain. My colleague accused him of feigning and being soft.

Buster F trundled on, fiddled around with a sponge for a few moments then pulled Baird into a sitting position, slapped him hard a couple of times on the back encouraging him to get up. Baird played on though visibly struggled.

Later that evening Baird went to A&E coughing blood and struggling for breath, two broken ribs having punctured his lung.

I'm not sure how good a cyclist he was....

Others will have a better memory of this but I think it was a Wolves - West Brom game on the tv where a WBA player went down injured and was given huge stick by the Wolves fans. He got treated on the sidelines and when he hobbled back on the WOlves fans went ballistic, a minute later he went down again and come off for good. Turned out he had broken his leg. 

It also reminded me of this from the late lamented HTFC-World cartoon match reports. 

image.png.6e75d7b098c9216c14ebebb3cc758f73.png

Edited by Port Said Red

2 hours ago, 42nite said:

They were all professionals...some semi maybe on the Austrian side??? representing their countries, and none of them seemed to feel the need to shout, scream and roll about in pathetic agony in order to gain any sort of advantage.

Unlike the women's world cup in 2019 which had several unsavoury incidents.

2 hours ago, 42nite said:

9 minutes ago, Packman said:

Unlike the women's world cup in 2019 which had several unsavoury incidents.

Women's football has been known for unsavoury incidents in the past.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

Spot on. Footballer's don't go down easily "because they're big softies", they go down easily to make it clear to an official that they've been fouled, and to try and win a free kick/penalty for their team. In some cases, they stay down to exaggerate the injury such that the opponent receives a more severe punishment.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Spot on. Footballer's don't go down easily "because they're big softies", they go down easily to make it clear to an official that they've been fouled, and to try and win a free kick/penalty for their team. In some cases, they stay down to exaggerate the injury such that the opponent receives a more severe punishment.

Exactly that, I don’t like that they have to do it, and I’d like to think that they don’t like doing it either, but it’s where we are in the game unfortunately 

6 hours ago, SecretSam said:

There's nothing to be gained from a Tour de France cyclist making a meal of an injury. It's suck it up or quit. I get the point you're making but there's rare instances of players breaking bones and playing on. I don't know if that should be glorified if it causes long lasting damage?

6 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Because a footballer has never had their shoulder dislocated and popped back in, to continue playing.?

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

As our greatest pundits say "they felt a touch so were entitled to go down." (Usually in the penalty area!)

I agree with you but some do fall over very easily.

Who can remember that notable match against Rotherham when Halford? stayed down for 10 minutes until Warnock came on and kicked him til he got up! ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midred said:

As our greatest pundits say "they felt a touch so were entitled to go down." (Usually in the penalty area!)

I agree with you but some do fall over very easily.

Who can remember that notable match against Rotherham when Halford? stayed down for 10 minutes until Warnock came on and kicked him til he got up! ?

I think there’s 2 elements to it, when players are moving at speed it doesn’t take much to take them down - look at a tap tackle in rugby for example.

Theres also, as said before, the idea that a ref won’t give something unless you “go down”. I’ve had that debate with players and refs alike - and generally you’ll never agree. 

The most frustrating scenario for me is when a player is about to shoot, or goes past the last defender and is impeded so they are off balance when they shoot - some will say he’s got his shot away, but if his shot has been impeded it’s a foul, it should be pulled back but rarely is. So are you better off “going down” and taking a free kick or penalty or getting your off balance shot away?

• Flames 1

35 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A player called halford. On a cycling thread gol to be a joke in there somewhere7

You are going to be saddled with cycling puns now - will we ever tyre of puns? :whistle:

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

And yet...

"Lazy trope", before using a lazy trope. Pro cyclists are probably the most tested athletes in sport...footballers, not so much.

Back in the day, sure, drugs a-plenty. But none that would help you deal with a dislocated shoulder...from which, incidentally, I am currently recovering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

"Lazy trope", before using a lazy trope. Pro cyclists are probably the most tested athletes in sport...footballers, not so much.

Back in the day, sure, drugs a-plenty. But none that would help you deal with a dislocated shoulder...from which, incidentally, I am currently recovering.

You honestly believe that cycling is clean now, do you?

I wanted to believe that after being there to see Wiggins win the Olympic gold & Froome win the TDF & to think that Brailsford was simply a managerial genius, but I know how that all turned out.