IGNORED

A team in the boozer

sglosbcfc

Scottish League Cup kicking off today and Greenock Morton only have 12 players. I find that incredible, if City were ever in those dire straits surely they could call into any Bristol boozer and get players willing to pay to sit on the bench and make up the numbers.

image.png.15b166a001914432f6c8e18ee2176b29.png

And as to why they don't put some youth players on the bench:

image.png.cf7bd60dc5209370ddf6bc36a5d279fa.png

https://themortonforum.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/44322-match-previewthread-morton-vs-falkirk-9th-july/

I know nothing about the club bar the name but this, as in nineteen players, seems a mental size of squad.  Two more injuries and they can't even field a full starting eleven.

24 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

image.png.15b166a001914432f6c8e18ee2176b29.png

And as to why they don't put some youth players on the bench:

image.png.cf7bd60dc5209370ddf6bc36a5d279fa.png

https://themortonforum.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/44322-match-previewthread-morton-vs-falkirk-9th-july/

I know nothing about the club bar the name but this, as in nineteen players, seems a mental size of squad.  Two more injuries and they can't even field a full starting eleven.

The Scottish Leagues are notoriously strict on these sort of things. In the Highland League a couple of seasons back, Fort William I think were forced to carry out a game only starting with 9 players, due to injuries and COVID. They couldn't cancel it because they had cancelled 2 previous games and 3 cancellations would a fine on top of their large points deduction they had already received.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I've always found it strange why you wouldn't fill the bench with youth, even if just for the experience. It could be the manager making a point to the board of course. Morton drew 0--0 and then lost on pens against Falkirk who are a division below.

Their forum said they had disbanded their youth team.

I'm sure that I've read some English teams have done this for cost reasons as there are going to be lots of overheads in running a youth team / academy.

IIRC our Academy was being heavily questioned for the paucity of decent youth products in the first ten years but it has really shown its worth these last ten years.

26 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm sure that I've read some English teams have done this for cost reasons as there are going to be lots of overheads in running a youth team / academy.

IIRC our Academy was being heavily questioned for the paucity of decent youth products in the first ten years but it has really shown its worth these last ten years.

There was a thread on here every week about it for a while or so it seemed. All came together in the end.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Scottish League Cup kicking off today and Greenock Morton only have 12 players. I find that incredible, if City were ever in those dire straits surely they could call into any Bristol boozer and get players willing to pay to sit on the bench and make up the numbers.

In Danny Wilson's time you could call into any Bristol boozer and get City players willing to make up the numbers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Rebounder said:

There was a thread on here every week about it for a while or so it seemed. All came together in the end.

Who was it that kept bring that up? It was a bit strange that it was brought up every week almost like expecting the team to have changed since the previous week.

44 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Who was it that kept bring that up? It was a bit strange that it was brought up every week almost like expecting the team to have changed since the previous week.

Was it Ashton Yate? Think there's someone with that name now, but it's not the same one. Could be wrong mind was a long time ago. 

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes I agree, lots of fans eating humble pie now....or claiming they always supported it ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, downendcity said:

In Danny Wilson's time you could call into any Bristol boozer and get City players willing to make up the numbers!

In Danny Wilsons time he would have probably been there at some point with them!

Edited by Taz
When he was in the area!

On 09/07/2022 at 16:03, Oh Louie louie said:

You could get people out the barley mow, at 7pm, who would still get a game in scotland.

It’s a funny line - but you couldn’t, you just couldn’t - the ignorance about Scottish football on here is staggering -  the posts from those who know nothing about the game north of the border is, I suppose, to be expected, but their faux knowledge and faux musings about Scottish football are ridiculous ... based on nothing but their own assumptions ... they will deliberately ignore the incredible result from a European cup competition last season Borussia Dortmund 2 Rangers 4 - because that remarkable, yet inconvenient, result doesn’t help their anti Scottish football diatribe gain any traction ... 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s a funny line - but you couldn’t, you just couldn’t - the ignorance about Scottish football on here is staggering -  the posts from those who know nothing about the game north of the border is, I suppose, to be expected, but their faux knowledge and faux musings about Scottish football are ridiculous ... based on nothing but their own assumptions ... they will deliberately ignore the incredible result from a European cup competition last season Borussia Dortmund 2 Rangers 4 - because that remarkable, yet inconvenient, result doesn’t help their anti Scottish football diatribe gain any traction ... 

For such a small nation, Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers have all won European honours. Dundee and Dundee United have both been semi finalists in European competition. Next season Scotland will have 5 teams (Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Motherwell) in Europe. There can't be many similar sized nations with that number of teams involved.

• Flames 1