IGNORED

Man City (h) Friday 17 Feb 1978

Norn Iron

A Leeds Utd friend likes to send me photos of all things BCFC he comes across. One photo was of the programme for the game against Man City on Friday 17th Feb, 1978.

According to Google, we drew 2-2. However, I can't find out why the game was played on a Friday. 

Live TV matches started in 1983 and the Fireman Strike ended end of January (clutching at non-flammable straws here).

I most probably was there but I can't remember anything about the game or the reason for a Friday night fixture. So my question is why was this game played on a Friday?

Any answers gratefully received!

Interesting question.

I was there and seem to remember it was the game when the car journey to AG was treacherous,  very slow and skiddy with ice and snow, and I imagine many didn't make the match, especially from outlying areas.

February 1978: The Great West Country Blizzard

he Great West Country Blizzard of February 1978 affected the SW of the UK and ranks as one of the worst snowstorms to hit the UK.

February 1978 was a cold month as high pressure was to the north and east blocked Atlantic systems from moving across the UK. On the 15th, the first occluded front approached the SW producing a SEly gale for the West Country and this produced heavy snowfalls. The front stalled as it could not overcome the very cold airmass over the UK. On the 18th, the next occlusion moved close to the SW and this tightened the SEly flow across the SW producing gales and blizzard conditions. By the 19th, a small low accompanied the occlusion drew in very mild air from Biscay and the huge temperature contrast between the very mild air and the very cold continental air produced copious amounts of snow. The front was expected to move right across the south but stalled over the SW. By late on the 19th, 34cm of level snow was reported at Cardiff and Exeter airports with drifts of over 8m, the greatest level snow depth was recorded at Nettlescomb, Somerset with 85cm. Enormous drifts over the moors blocked scores of roads paralysing the transport network in the SW. The worst affected areas were Somerset, Devon and Dorset, these areas had level snow depths >30cm. The counties of south Wales, Wiltshire, Avon and western Hampshire and the Isle of Wight recorded between 10-30cm of level snow. Most of the low ground of Cornwall had rain. On the 20th, the milder air finally arrived.

Could fixtures have been brought forward because they knew well in advance even worse weather was expected on the Saturday? Possible, but unlikely.

Another reason may have been that either City or Man.City had a fixture the following Monday ( though Man. City were already out of the Uefa Cup which might have led to fixture rearrangement) but both clubs had played the previous Saturday (11th) and their next games were the following Saturday (25th) City had won 2-1 at West Ham on the 11th and drew 2-2 at QPR on the 25th btw.

Do we know if City v Man. City was the only fixture that day or were other Div.1 games played on the Friday evening too?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

A Leeds Utd friend likes to send me photos of all things BCFC he comes across. One photo was of the programme for the game against Man City on Friday 17th Feb, 1978.

According to Google, we drew 2-2. However, I can't find out why the game was played on a Friday. 

Live TV matches started in 1983 and the Fireman Strike ended end of January (clutching at non-flammable straws here).

I most probably was there but I can't remember anything about the game or the reason for a Friday night fixture. So my question is why was this game played on a Friday?

We scored 2 early goals i remember it because we were late and missed the first goal just got in we scored again 

l

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Gash were home to Ipswich in the FA Cup on Saturday 18th. That would have taken priority. Spookily also a 2-2 draw 

Yep, wouldn't have thought of that.

Must have been quite a 24 hours of football watching for me then because I was in the Muller Road end with the Ipswich fans for that one. They had good support there despite having to set off at 5 in the morning.

Remember we left with a few minutes to go with Ipswich leading 2-1 and got on a bus full of dejected Rovers fans. Great to se them all looking so pissed off thinking they'd lost but we heard later that Rovers got (fluked) a very late equaliser - Bobby Gould iirc.

Ipswich beat Rovers 3-0 in the replay and went on to win the FA Cup of course.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Must have been quite a 24 hours of football watching for me then because I was in the Muller Road end with the Ipswich fans for that one. They had good support there despite having to set off at 5 in the morning.

Remember we left with a few minutes to go with Ipswich leading 2-1 and got on a bus full of dejected Rovers fans. Great to se them all looking so pissed off thinking they'd lost but we heard later that Rovers got (fluked) a very late equaliser - Bobby Gould iirc.

I was at the City Man City game but don't recall it being a Friday. I went with a Gashead mate to the Rovers Ipswich game played in the snow with an orange ball. I was in the Tote End and cheered when Ipswich equalised to make it 2-2 with about five minutes to go. So I think you're wrong their Nogbad. Rovers were 2-1 up it was Ipswich who got the late equaliser.

21 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I was at the City Man City game but don't recall it being a Friday. I went with a Gashead mate to the Rovers Ipswich game played in the snow with an orange ball. I was in the Tote End and cheered when Ipswich equalised to make it 2-2 with about five minutes to go. So I think you're wrong their Nogbad. Rovers were 2-1 up it was Ipswich who got the late equaliser.

Wasn't it a Cashley **** up?

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Quite possible my memory is failing me after 40+ years HoC -and that bus loads of gasheads simply always look pissed off after matches, and thinking they've won is little consolation after another mostly dreadful experience!

Always had in mind that Gould got a late equaliser, but if you're right Rovers came within a few minutes of changing FA Cup history and knocking out the eventual winners.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Wasn't it a Cashley **** up?

I think Cashley was still with City then. I have found highlights of the game and Ipswich definitely equalised to make it 2-2 with a late goal. Turner scored both their goals.

Nogbad's memory is partially correct but instead of seeing dejected Rovers fans because they thought they had lost 1-2 and didn't know about a late Rovers equaliser, they were dejected because they had conceded a late equaliser. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I think Cashley was still with City then. I have found highlights of the game and Ipswich definitely equalised to make it 2-2 with a late goal. Turner scored both their goals.

Nogbad's memory is partially correct but instead of seeing dejected Rovers fans because they thought they had lost 1-2 and didn't know about a late Rovers equaliser, they were dejected because they had conceded a late equaliser. 

Fair play, but I deffo remember RC making a ghastly rick in an Eastville cup game against First Din opponents .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

I don't remember the details, but I am pretty sure Rovers fans still moan on one (both?) of their forums that they were somehow 'cheated' out of the win at Eastville, prior to losing the replay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I don't remember the details, but I am pretty sure Rovers fans still moan on one (both?) of their forums that they were somehow 'cheated' out of the win at Eastville, prior to losing the replay.

Rovers fans moaning about being cheated...that's a new one, never heard them do that before ?‍♂️

30 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Ha ha, fair enough. I've told this story many times on here (never again!) and I'm happy to finally be corrected!

In my defence I would have had to be pretty pissed to decide to go to Eastville when City weren't playing and me and a friend made a spur of the moment decision to go to the match after a few pints of Draught Bass by the blazing fire at the White Horse, WOT, walking via the Beehive for a top up, before we could even contemplate entering the vile dump. Must have seemed a good idea at the time to see Rovers get thrashed.

The beer caught up with us by the end and we couldn't face the long walk home, hence what appears to be not only a fuzzy memory of the match, but also an horrific bus journey with a - typically? - very odd bunch of sour faced gasheads!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Rovers fans moaning about being cheated...that's a new one, never heard them do that before ?‍♂️

To be fair, I might be doing Rovers fans an injustice.

Was it perhaps that they (Bobby Gould?) missed an open gosl just before Ipswich equalised?

I am sure @In the Net or @Miah Dennehy can recall, and clarify matters.

11 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Was Easter particularly early that year, hence playing on Good Friday?

Sorry, silly puerile ‘humour’.

Was at the Man City game on the Friday , don’t think I missed a home game in the first division. Don’t know why it was on the Friday, but I remember a Man City fan running the length of the pitch, from Open End to East End and waving a flag in front of us. Not sure if that was the same game mind, a lot of alcohol has been drunk since then! Also remember Mike Doyle, Man City captain at the time, saying that City couldn’t lace his boots, then we beat them! If the Friday was 2 2, couldn’t have been the same game!

Regarding the Rovers vIpswich game, I remember Rovers being all over them and Ipswich scoring a very dubious equaliser, offside/ hand ball or something. Oh how we laughed!!

On 11/07/2022 at 13:40, PHILINFRANCE said:

To be fair, I might be doing Rovers fans an injustice.

Was it perhaps that they (Bobby Gould?) missed an open gosl just before Ipswich equalised?

I am sure @In the Net or @Miah Dennehy can recall, and clarify matters.

Bobby Gould had a goal ruled out for offside which would have put us 3-1 up. Replays suggested Gould's goal was onside and the Ipswich was offside. Bastards!

7 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Bobby Gould had a goal ruled out for offside which would have put us 3-1 up. Replays suggested Gould's goal was onside and the Ipswich was offside. Bastards!

I suggested earlier in this thread that Rovers fans claimed they had been cheated, but that is quite an impressive spin; turning a missed open goal in to the goal being ruled out due to an incorrect offside decision ?.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Eastville, in winter, had all the ingredients for a cup upset, quagmire of a pitch, rubble strewn about the place, freezing and uninviting changing rooms (no doubt), peculiar locals watching on ....

Have I seen a photo of a sailing ship on the Eastville pitch or have I eaten too much cheese?

18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I suggested earlier in this thread that Rovers fans claimed they had been cheated, but that is quite an impressive spin; turning a missed open goal in to the goal being ruled out due to an incorrect offside decision ?.

Ha ha! I remember the game well, and that the ref was Brian Daniels from Kettering (Another reason to hate Kettering, I was at that game as well) .

I would have been 13 or 14 at the time of the Ipswich game and the disappointment of Ipswich equalising increased  a thousand fold when Brian Moore on the Big Match showed Gould's goal should have been allowed and their equaliser shouldn't.

And then Ipswich went on to win the bloody thing!