IGNORED

Portsmouth pre-season friendly match day thread.

Jerseybean

Portsmouth at 2 pm at the HPC today, for our second pre-season friendly. Supporters are not permitted but it will be available on Robins TV.

They have already played Havant and Waterlooville and followed that up with a game against Gosport. The traditional friendly fixture against Havant and Waterlooville at Westleigh Park finished in a 3-0 win for Danny Cowley's side. Ryan Tunnicliffe and Ronan Curtis struck late in the first half, while Liam Vincent converted a fine free-kick after the break. A 1-0 loss at Gosport followed 24 hours later.

On 4 July they headed off to Spain for a week-long training camp in Murcia.

They finished their Spanish training camp in positive fashion on Saturday with a 2-0 victory over Qatar SC. The contest – held at the Pinitar Arena in Murcia – was contested over three 30-minute periods and in intense heat. Both goals came in the final third, with a trialist opening the scoring before the win was wrapped up by Alfie Bridgman.

Marlon Pack recently joined them upon his release from Cardiff. He began his career with them. Born in Portsmouth Pack became a first year scholar in the 2007–08 season playing regularly for the academy and occasionally for the reserves.. The following season he became a regular in the reserve team and remained a key player in the academy side. By the time he signed a one-year professional contract at the end of the 2008–09 season, he had played more than 50 games for Portsmouth's junior teams. He made his debut in the League Cup against Crystal Palace on 24 August 2010 as an extra time substitute, scoring in the subsequent penalty shoot out.

We will once again be without Alex Scott with the 18-year-old being handed an extended summer break after helping the England Under-19s to European Championships glory at the start of the July. New signing Stefan Bajic is unlikely to feature too, with the goalkeeper recovering from wrist surgery whilst awaiting international clearance following his arrival last Tuesday. Our other recent recruits all played a part against Cheltenham on Saturday and all will be involved once again against Portsmouth as NP will look to rotate his squad in an effort to build fitness over the coming weeks.

As for the visitors, their summer arrivals - Pack and Swanson - both started in Spain on Saturday, and are likely to be involved again today. Several youngsters are expected to be involved once again, such as Mingi, Jewitt-White and Bridgman.

In competitive matches we have won 22, drawn 18 and lost 14 times against them. The most memorable victory being the match which secured our 1975/76 promotion. Clive Whitehead netted an early goal as City beat Portsmouth at Ashton Gate to secure promotion.

John Anthony Portsmouth Football Club Westwood (born 1963) is one of the most recognisable football supporters in England, when not working as an antiquarian bookseller. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Portsmouth_Football_Club_Westwood

He changed his name to Portsmouth Football Club and has 60 Pompey tattoos!

The club has a proud history https://pompeychimes.webs.com/pompeyhistory.htm and has seen many ups and downs over the years. https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/sad-story-portsmouthfc-from-facup-champions-league-two-strugglers

They were founded in 1898. The first major football club in Portsmouth was Royal Artillery F.C. The club lost its standing after being suspended by the Football Associatiion for having violated their amateur status by taking players away for a week’s special training before an Amateur Cup-tie. Out of this debacle, it was decided to form a professional club called Portsmouth FC.

Why ‘Pompey’? This is possibly the greatest mystery in the story of Portsmouth Football Club. The origins of this nickname, which is perhaps the most instantly recognised in the English game, are obscure. Theories abound about the precise origin of ‘Pompey’, although a naval connection is not disputed.

Some claim it lies in an 8-gun French warship Le Pompee, captured in 1793, which later fought with distinction in the battle of Algeciras in 1801 before becoming guardship of Portsmouth Harbour. Others maintain that it was the far from sober sailor’s interruption of a talk by Agnes Weston, the naval temperance worker. He surfaced from a beery slumber during her lecture on the Roman Empire to hear that the General Pompey had been killed. “Poor Old Pompey” he is said to have shouted….such are the roots of legend. But there is another, more authenticated potential root in naval folklore. In 1781 some Portsmouth-based English sailors scaled Pompey’s Pillar near Alexandria and, 98 feet up above Egypt, toasted their ascent in punch. Their feat earned them the Fleet’s tribute as ‘The Pompey Boys’.

Pompey is a northern slang word for a prison and being a port Portsmouth had a busy naval prison full of sailors from all over the country.

Another theory is that it originates from the nautical abbreviation of “Portsmouth Point” to the shorter “Po’m. P.” in ships logbooks.

Whatever the origins it stuck and the famous Play up Pompey (PUP) chant is still very popular today.

Pompey pickings

On February 22nd 1956, Fratton Park played host to the first ever league match in the UK to be played under floodlights, against Newcastle United.

Portsmouth are one of few clubs to have one player represent them in four different decades. Step forward Alan Knight, who made a staggering 801 first-team and cup appearances for Pompey between 1978 and 2005.

They were saved from liquidation by fans in 2013 who set out, via a fan ownership initiative, to resurrect the Club, https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/10/portsmouth-future-fratton-park-ownership

If you are interested in fan ownership ‘Ours’ is worth a watch, it asks searching questions about identity and belonging, and finds hope in clubs that are run by, or heavily influenced by, their fans. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14180268/

They recently signed  Arsenal defender Zak Swanson for an undisclosed fee. The 21-year-old agreed a two-year deal with the club holding an option to extend his contract a further 12 months. Swanson, who joined the Gunners aged six, failed to break into the Premier League side's first team, although he did make six appearances for their under-21s in the EFL Trophy.

Personal footnote…. next month a mate from Oz is across to Jersey, he is a Pompey fan (an accident of birth) so we are heading to Fratton Park on the Saturday to see Pompey beat the Gas, the  next day its my turn with a visit to AG to see us beat Cardiff.

266BBF99-95F2-47A5-BAB4-1DEF2F1764DC.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7
  • Robin 1

I've just spent two weeks holiday in Portsmouth. For me it is a place based on war and killing. All the museums dwell heavily on warships and their history. Hearing a guide gloating that thousands of French POW's had dug the soil and sand to create the deep harbour in appalling conditions, made me feel very uncomfortable. GB has treated enemies in the same way as possibly every other nation on Earth so we can hardly criticise others.

The museum has little of note except for one section that was closed. Got chatting to a man who appeared to be in charge and of course when he determined that I am Bristolian, the talk led to football. I mentioned that I'd seen the Portsmouth side in 1952 at Cardiff City, the one that had win the First Division in 1949 and again a year later, he took me to the closed area which contained lots of items that covered that period and also their 1939 FA Cup Final win, leading to them holding the cup for seven years.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I've just spent two weeks holiday in Portsmouth. For me it is a place based on war and killing. All the museums dwell heavily on warships and their history. Hearing a guide gloating that thousands of French POW's had dug the soil and sand to create the deep harbour in appalling conditions, made me feel very uncomfortable. GB has treated enemies in the same way as possibly every other nation on Earth so we can hardly criticise others.

The museum has little of note except for one section that was closed. Got chatting to a man who appeared to be in charge and of course when he determined that I am Bristolian, the talk led to football. I mentioned that I'd seen the Portsmouth side in 1952 at Cardiff City, the one that had win the First Division in 1949 and again a year later, he took me to the closed area which contained lots of items that covered that period and also their 1939 FA Cup Final win, leading to them holding the cup for seven years.

If we’re talking about French POWs, I imagine that’s referring to Napoleonic times? Personally I think you have to accept that standards change; if you’ve ever read Les Miserables you’ll know badly how France treated its own citizens in its own prisons in those days (though that was 1830). And  of course they were trying to conquer all of Europe under Boney.

Portsmouth was also destroyed three times by the French in the fourteenth century (the Hundred Years’ War) so what goes around comes around!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Tweet says its James Taylor playing LWB, usually a RWB or RCB

He started off poorly in the game v Cov, but when he moved to RCB he did much better.  Tenacious, but I’ve always wondered whether he was good enough.  Will get a better view today playing in first team…although LWB isn’t his normal position.

Just now, Davefevs said:

He started off poorly in the game v Cov, but when he moved to RCB he did much better.  Tenacious, but I’ve always wondered whether he was good enough.  Will get a better view today playing in first team…although LWB isn’t his normal position.

Perhaps this akin to what happened with George Nurse last season.  They played him in a preseason friendly so a potential suitor (Cotts) could see him in action.

• Flames 1