IGNORED

Portsmouth pre-season friendly match day thread.

Jerseybean

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

Literally just double checked that myself ! With the way things are going for us is it worth us going for Cat 1? Not sure what extra benefits we get other than status for potential new players and the loan system. 

We need "exclusive" use of an indoor pitch, the Bears facility apparently doesn't count. The other benefits would be that we can hold on to our players more easily compared to now, and I guess they would be playing against a higher level of players.

6 minutes ago, grifty said:

2nd friendly of the season is more about shape and new players integrating into the team and learning how everyone plays, despite the fact we are missing 2 of our main forward threats + Scott.

Still, at least you get to perve on a presenter like some deranged sex pest.

Fair enough, ok, weve got established championship players whose speciality today is missing chances and over hitting crosses and passes, and pack has been the best player on the pitch, and we have no money to spend to improve it.

Im sorry you are offended by the deranged nature of the comment 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Simon bristol said:

Fair enough, ok, weve got established championship players whose speciality today is missing chances and over hitting crosses and passes, and pack has been the best player on the pitch, and we have no money to spend to improve it.

We know we can score from last season (finger crossed) if we keep the same front three, our issue was keeping clean sheets. 

Id prefer if they spent the first few games of preseason being tight at the back, defending as a unit, learning any new defensive roles they have. So far we have 2 clean sheets out of 2 albeit against lower division opposition.

Obviously ideally we’d win every game 5-0 but baby steps with this team!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Palmer-Houlden is not yet 18 is he? I think he is pushing himself up the list very quickly.

If he hasn't he will be very shortly as he was a 2nd year scholar last season so has progressed to the U23's squad this season

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We need "exclusive" use of an indoor pitch, the Bears facility apparently doesn't count. The other benefits would be that we can hold on to our players more easily compared to now, and I guess they would be playing against a higher level of players.

Still pretty surprised we didn’t build an indoor pitch as a part of the HPC? Surely there is enough land within the grounds of the complex to do it.. not sure if you would need additional planning for it though?

Edited by bris red
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

That's twice now you have said that and it really is not true. He played deep just in front of the back four and saw a lot of the ball, first half. The reason for that is that the shape we were playing we were happy for him to have the ball there and we didn't have the players in the right positions to press him. Don't think he influenced the game any more than any other player. His two long passes first half were no better than Rylee Towlers later on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

Still pretty surprised we didn’t build an indoor pitch as a part of the HPC? Surely there is enough land within the grounds of the complex to do it.. not sure if you would need additional planning for it though?

Assume that it would be more intrusive for the golfers and any nearby properties.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

In terms of the new HPC grounds, you have the show pitch which obviously wouldn't be indoors, the  space the other side from the building isn't a full size pitch size which therefore means that you'd need to not have a full size outdoor training pitch to build it on the space behind the goal you can see. 

However I'm not sure if City bought the land the old first team training pitches are on or whether they still rent them, even if they own them getting planning permission when its right next door to the school grounds may not be easy.

27 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Literally just double checked that myself ! With the way things are going for us is it worth us going for Cat 1? Not sure what extra benefits we get other than status for potential new players and the loan system. 

First off it is expensive, we don't have the facilities, as others have said and there isn't much benefit to our players getting hammered each week by Liverpool, Man U etc. Our pathway is working fine, if it aint broke don't fix it. Tinns gave a good explanation on one of the post season pod casts, possibly 3 peaps.

• Like 3

• Admin
49 minutes ago, grifty said:

2nd friendly of the season is more about shape and new players integrating into the team and learning how everyone plays, despite the fact we are missing 2 of our main forward threats + Scott.

Still, at least you get to perve on a presenter like some deranged sex pest.

I'm assuming you are referring to Louise rather than Neil Swift?

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Mark Sykes….. discuss…… but meh from what I’ve seen so far

From what I understand he is being asked in to play in a way which is sufficiently different to confuse him at the moment. When you consider the move to us itself and the higher level of fitness and training it may be a little bit of time before he really gets going.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

First off it is expensive, we don't have the facilities, as others have said and there isn't much benefit to our players getting hammered each week by Liverpool, Man U etc. Our pathway is working fine, if it aint broke don't fix it. Tinns gave a good explanation on one of the post season pod casts, possibly 3 peaps.

Ah thanks ill give it a watch.

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

From what I understand he is being asked in to play in a way which is sufficiently different to confuse him at the moment. When you consider the move to us itself and the higher level of fitness and training it may be a little bit of time before he really gets going.

All fair comment but we must maintain the great OTIB tradition of writing off a player before he gets started.?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

All fair comment but we must maintain the great OTIB tradition of writing off a player before he gets started.?

Not writing him off, but currently I’m not sure what he brings that makes us better, apart from maybe his versatility (which I don’t always think is a good thing) and a determined attitude. I’m just not sure where he fits in to improve us. I know it’s early and I’m keen to see more of what he can do but it’s just my initial thoughts

7 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Not writing him off, but currently I’m not sure what he brings that makes us better, apart from maybe his versatility (which I don’t always think is a good thing) and a determined attitude. I’m just not sure where he fits in to improve us. I know it’s early and I’m keen to see more of what he can do but it’s just my initial thoughts

Of course, I was being tongue in cheek hence the ?

We'll see in due course. If Nigel sees something in him I'm prepared to wait.

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

Mark Sykes….. discuss…… but meh from what I’ve seen so far

Doesn't improve our starting XI in the way Wilson does.

And possibly the way Naismith might (who knows yet if Kalas-Klose-Naismith is an upgrade on Kalas-Klose-Atkinson?)

But it's very early days for Sykes and, unlike Wilson and Naismith, he's being asked to play differently to the way he did at his previous club, so he's going to need time to change, adapt, find his feet. Whereas Wilson and Naismith can just carry on doing what they've always done - they can be integrated much easier. 

Imo Sykes won't be a starter when everyone's fit but, if he can get up to speed, he'll add much needed depth to the squad - we need to get to a position where we have a strong bench as last season there were times when it was far from that (Brum away springs to mind - it was basically Max O’Leary and some kids). 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Palmer-Houlden is not yet 18 is he? I think he is pushing himself up the list very quickly.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

My top tip to be in the first team by end of the season 

Definitely think he's got something about him, so was surprised to find he has just a 1 year contract, ending 2023. 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

We know we can score from last season (finger crossed) if we keep the same front three, our issue was keeping clean sheets. 

Id prefer if they spent the first few games of preseason being tight at the back, defending as a unit, learning any new defensive roles they have. So far we have 2 clean sheets out of 2 albeit against lower division opposition.

Obviously ideally we’d win every game 5-0 but baby steps with this team!

I would be concerned about the goals we will get without Senenyo and would hope somehow we get the defensive midfield player which has been such an issue for us.