IGNORED

Extreme heat

bristol_dunc

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Judging by some of the reactions I've seen to these warnings, people really hate being given information that could help them dont they?

It’s like don’t drink and drive and don’t jump off the top of a tower block or **** to much because it will make you blind,this information can help everyone 

43 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s like don’t drink and drive and don’t jump off the top of a tower block or **** to much because it will make you blind,this information can help everyone 

I’m not sure Walking makes you blind has ever been an official govt public message 

7 hours ago, big dosser said:

i got a job to sit in the garden let alone play football in this heat. Would not expect to much today from any side playing

The heat today wasn’t too bad at all - don’t soak up all the mainstream media tripe on the sun! After the two and a half years we’ve had, get out there and enjoy our little bit of summer! We were locked up and drained of all positivity - so now we can enjoy a proper summer, for just a few days, get out there and do it!!!

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The heat today wasn’t too bad at all - don’t soak up all the mainstream media tripe on the sun! After the two and a half years we’ve had, get out there and enjoy our little bit of summer! We were locked up and drained of all positivity - so now we can enjoy a proper summer, for just a few days, get out there and do it!!!

Yep, the hype is all a bit pathetic but typical of the times we live in - we're going to have a few hot days, including one very hot one. It's called summer.

June/July '76 we had 15 consecutive days with temperatures in excess of 32.2C (90F) peaking at 36C (96.8F) which is the hottest forecast for Bristol in the current hot spell.

As I recall the pubs and beaches were packed and everybody was happy. It was very a enjoyable and memorable time - a proper English summer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, the hype is all a bit pathetic but typical of the times we live in - we're going to have a few hot days, including one very hot one. It's called summer.

June/July '76 we had 15 consecutive days with temperatures in excess of 32.2C (90F) peaking at 36C (96.8F) which is the hottest forecast for Bristol in the current hot spell.

As I recall the pubs and beaches were packed and everybody was happy. It was very a enjoyable and memorable time - a proper English summer.

"Skin cancer death rates for men have tripled since 1970s, research reveals" I read the other day. Worth knowing about, before you spend the day on the beach at Weston in yer speedos, I would say

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

"Skin cancer death rates for men have tripled since 1970s, research reveals" I read the other day. Worth knowing about, before you spend the day on the beach at Weston in yer speedos, I would say

Pah. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to tell us that cancer is only for the liberal leftie snowflakes and you'll be fine if you man up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Flames 2

It's actually my 46th birthday today, i was born on what was the hottest day on record until a few years back.

If my Mum could endure 36 hours of labour in a non air conditioned ward at Southmead, i reckon we'll be fine. 

Be sensible and stay hydrated, that's what I'll be doing.

• Like 2

Apart from the idiots who need the NHS to sort out their sunburns, heat stroke, skin cancer etc and those who start fires with barbecues near tinder dry grass.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Apart from the idiots who need the NHS to sort out their sunburns, heat stroke, skin cancer etc and those who start fires with barbecues near tinder dry grass.

Unfortunately there will always be idiots but their idiocy shouldn’t be a bar to sensible people (who wish to) enjoy a bit of hot weather. Instead of stay in and don’t travel the message should go out and travel if you like but use the brain you were born with and be sensible about it.

Anyone who is stupid enough to start a fire in the scenario you suggest should be invoiced the costs of dealing with it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

not all of us are golden colour sun gods I burn like a sausage under a grill even with factor 1000 on?

• Like 1

I think they should bring in mandates for sun cream.  If people don't wear it sack them from their jobs and ban them travelling to other countries,  even if they are not going in the sun. 

Obviously we all need to wear sun cream to protect others who are also wearing sun cream.

What would be then be then even more far fetched surely is for the people who introduce this rule to then proclaim 'my body my choice'.

Edited by bbew
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, bbew said:

I think they should bring in mandates for sun cream.  If people don't wear it sack them from their jobs and ban them travelling to other countries,  even if they are not going in the sun. 

Obviously we all need to wear sun cream to protect others who are also wearing sun cream.

What would be then be then even more far fetched surely is for the people who introduce this rule to then proclaim 'my body my choice'.

Good luck with that..

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

... and that heat in ‘76 coincided with our boys getting promoted to the “premier” league - it was a superb summer and nothing to worry about! And if, in the very unlikely event, Greta Thunberg is reading this thread - that was nearly 50 years ago - and the planet is still here - the weather and climate goes in cycles - 1976 was very hot for a few weeks, it happened again in 1995, it happened again in 2018 and now we are gonna have a few hot days this week - so what?! 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1