IGNORED

Extreme heat

bristol_dunc

16 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

"Skin cancer death rates for men have tripled since 1970s, research reveals" I read the other day. Worth knowing about, before you spend the day on the beach at Weston in yer speedos, I would say

I had a suspect mole removed from my back just 5 weeks ago after getting an urgent 2 week referral from GP (still awaiting results), which has defo made me change my stance on sun exposure

9 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

BREAKING: 
Survivors of the 1976 UK heatwave are to be offered counselling and an apology from the Met Office for them not issuing a warning that the sun can be hot

To be fair they probably do need counselling, they've been obsessed with it for 46 years now.

20 hours ago, 06stanleyj said:

As much as Laura is a lovely little thing nothing compares to the more mature weather presenter that is Carol Kirkwood on BBC breakfast telly, I get all tingly when she talks about a warm front !

I'd give her a warm rear.

(Or a warm front, for that matter!)

Edited by Mike Hunt-Hertz

12 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

BREAKING: 
Survivors of the 1976 UK heatwave are to be offered counselling and an apology from the Met Office for them not issuing a warning that the sun can be hot

1976 was notable for the amount of time it lasted, the actual temperatures, whilst hot, were not like the country will be seeing today. The peak was around 35 degrees.

It was also a cause of 20% excess deaths that summer, along with 50% excess deaths in 2003 which was hotter.

Seems reasonable to issue a warning this time round as it's going to be even hotter.

Edited by richwwtk

15 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

People moaning about the weather at least it’s not snowing. Imagine shovelling snow in this heat.

There's a lot of snowflakes about though

And I don't mean the people who are happy to heed a warning for a couple of days if it means less people suffer and/or die.

54 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

1976 was notable for the amount of time it lasted, the actual temperatures, whilst hot, were not like the country will be seeing today. The peak was around 35 degrees.

It was also a cause of 20% excess deaths that summer, along with 50% excess deaths in 2003 which was hotter.

Seems reasonable to issue a warning this time round as it's going to be even hotter.

People don't tend to mention those statistics when talking about the previous heatwaves.

Granted it's only a couple of days, but it's off the back of a week or two of already increased temperatures. If you're ok with the weather, cool (not literally). Most of us will be fine, but it's wise to take a few precautions.

Our colts team have cancelled football training tomorrow night, sensible.
Our gym has created a couple more morning classes to offer people an alternative to training in the prime afternoon heat, sensible.
My partner's company have suggested people don't come to the office if they don't want to avoiding travelling on packed trains, sensible.

I don't understand why people get so flustered by a bit of advice. It's not being "woke" it's just looking out for others. It's called compassion.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I had a suspect mole removed from my back just 5 weeks ago after getting an urgent 2 week referral from GP (still awaiting results), which has defo made me change my stance on sun exposure

Hope that turns out benign, but keep a look out (whilst trying not to over worry. Easier said than done).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

image.thumb.png.c5aa4d22b81e1b2596ce5e86557ae9da.png

We did have an unusually hot summer in 1976. The image shows why this is not the same, and why those who are across the science are so concerned.

I appreciate that it will not be a massive issue for most of us in our lifetimes. However it will likely be the most important issue for our children/grandchildren. Remedies are complex and probably too little too late. But those who write it off saying it was hot in ‘76, calm down and have an ice cream, are seriously missing the point.

Imagine that in another 45 years, when many of us are gone but our children and their children are still - you'd like to think - around. Concerning.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

In the office today and its absolute air-con bliss, I am actually tempted to kip in here tonight.  I went outside just now and the heat hits you like a brick, its very noticeable compared to 'normal' summer days

It’s just like landing in India and  stepping off the plane…. Lovely.  Give it 3 or 4 months and all those moaning it’s too hot will be moaning it’s too cold and they can’t afford to put the heating on.  The weather takes up an inordinate amount of this countries time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

In the office today and its absolute air-con bliss, I am actually tempted to kip in here tonight.  I went outside just now and the heat hits you like a brick, its very noticeable compared to 'normal' summer days

I did the same it was crazily hot. I'm dreading getting into my black car in a bit!

On 13/07/2022 at 14:04, Lew-T said:

We’re not designed for 2 inches of snow either so say…

It’s the media and news channels that cause the panic time and time again. Gets on my nerves.

Amazing how the media can twist the narrative, the lockdown summer of 2020 was very hot as well yet we didn't have the wall to wall news "coverage" with minute by minute trackers because the media were too busy whipping up Covid panic. Same as for the last couple of weeks the war on Ukraine barely gets a mention which is far more deserving than a couple of hot days in July.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Amazing how the media can twist the narrative, the lockdown summer of 2020 was very hot as well yet we didn't have the wall to wall news "coverage" with minute by minute trackers because the media were too busy whipping up Covid panic. Same as for the last couple of weeks the war on Ukraine barely gets a mention which is far more deserving than a couple of hot days in July.

2 hot days isn’t really newsworthy I agree because I’m sure we can all open the curtains and tell it’s going to be scorching and then they tell tell us to keep pets in shade and don’t let kids play in the sun as if the nation are completely dim,is the war still going on,didn’t all the nations with no backbone send weapons to a country that is getting slaughtered 

4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s just like landing in India and  stepping off the plane…. Lovely.  Give it 3 or 4 months and all those moaning it’s too hot will be moaning it’s too cold and they can’t afford to put the heating on.  The weather takes up an inordinate amount of this countries time.

yet funnily enough a lot of people don’t like the extreme heat of places like India, so they don’t chose to live there.

It can be too hot and too cold you know?

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I've seen tales of people booking hotels with aircon for tonight so they can get a decent night's sleep.

I almost did this last year, our bedroom becomes a heat trap. It’s currently 34.8 degrees in there, it’s almost cooler in the hot tub ?

Went to the cinema just to have an evening in some aircon. Office has been lovely today though.

4 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Best thing I ever done was getting air con in my house,cost a few grand but if this is the future then it’s money well spent 

I always think about this, then it’s over as quick as it happens and I put it off til next year ?

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Lockdown 2020 wasn’t this hot, clearly as the record wasn't broken and clues in the name really - majority of the country were at home with nothing to do, you could enjoy lounging in the weather. People didn’t need to be warned not to commute etc. There was plenty of coverage though, particularly about the people flocking to beaches when they shouldn’t. 

I agree the media like to whip it up, but let’s not pretend this is normal. I can’t remember a time it’s ever been forecasted to be almost 30c at midnight?