IGNORED

Extreme heat

bristol_dunc

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m always amazed when people with kids or grandkids don’t care about global warming.  One of the reason it’s getting so much media coverage is it’s a record high. The world is warming up quickly. Scary to think of what will happen over the next 50 years 

So true. It’s very scary but people just laugh it off. We can all do our bit of we try - I’m down to 3 meat free days a week and that would make a huge difference if all of the west did it. It’s not even hard. 

28 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

So true. It’s very scary but people just laugh it off. We can all do our bit of we try - I’m down to 3 meat free days a week and that would make a huge difference if all of the west did it. It’s not even hard. 

do you have it lunchtimes instead or nothing at all?  im pretty good, i have cheese and pickle rolls for my lunch most days  but do like to pig out at weekends

1 minute ago, redsquirrel said:

do you have it lunchtimes instead or nothing at all?  im pretty good, i have cheese and pickle rolls for my lunch most days  but do like to pig out at weekends

I have toast / cereal for brekkie. Generally miss lunch and then on meat free days there are loads of options. Curry’s are the best bet and also stir fry’s.

4 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Amazing how the media can twist the narrative, the lockdown summer of 2020 was very hot as well yet we didn't have the wall to wall news "coverage" with minute by minute trackers because the media were too busy whipping up Covid panic. Same as for the last couple of weeks the war on Ukraine barely gets a mention which is far more deserving than a couple of hot days in July.

No, it was the spring, April and May when the weather was good. It certainly wasn't overly hot though.

Last heatwave was 2018, England doing well in Russia at the world cup and we had a full 5 or 6 weeks or 25 degs +. Thankfully it never got too hot. 

Amazing how you can't remember that. We weren't even in lockdown in summer 2020. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m always amazed when people with kids or grandkids don’t care about global warming.  One of the reason it’s getting so much media coverage is it’s a record high. The world is warming up quickly. Scary to think of what will happen over the next 50 years 

Well one reason may be that we've heard it all before, or, in the case of global warming, the direct opposite - as a child in the 60's & 70's we were repeatedly told at school and on John Craven's Newsround etc of the frightening prospect that a new Ice Age was on the way.

We lived through the Cuba Crisis (OK, I don't remember much about that) the New Ice Age cometh, Chernobyl (the clouds are on their way over) Creutzfeldt Jacob's Disease which was going to kill millions (it didn't) the hole in the Ozone layer etc. etc.

Perhaps many of the older generation are more cynical, less gullible, less easily alarmed, and, through experience, require more solid proof.

In my lifetime there have always been those who have predicted cataclysmic doom & gloom for the Earth and everyone on it, and, so far at least, each time they been proved completely wrong.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/50-years-of-failed-doomsday-eco-pocalyptic-predictions-the-so-called-experts-are-0-50/

I am very concerned about my children's future (no grandchildren yet) for many reasons, but 'man made climate change' isn't one of them.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 2

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I  am very concerned about my children's future (no grandchildren yet) for many reasons, but 'man made climate change' isn't one of them.

Then you are extraordinarily stupid, and your children will remember you as such. 

Pretty sure I saw you walking into a "plastic free" shop on North St a couple of weeks back anyway. That you? 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I have toast / cereal for brekkie. Generally miss lunch and then on meat free days there are loads of options. Curry’s are the best bet and also stir fry’s.

How are you getting enough protein? That’s always my concern with meat free options. Everything that’s a “protein source” really isn’t. I just googled a list, top Is quinoa. At 14g per 100g (and 64g of carbs) that’s not a solid protein source. Almonds were another one ? 50g fat to get 20g protein.

I am however trying the meat replacement foods, there’s some really good meatballs at tesco that I buy, if you don’t expect quite the same taste ans just treat them as a different product they’re really nice.

the downside to that though is eating processed foods. And I don’t want to be drinking 2-3 protein shakes a day

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well one reason may be that we've heard it all before, or, in the case of global warming, the direct opposite - as a child in the 60's & 70's we were repeatedly told at school and on John Craven's Newsround etc of the frightening prospect that a new Ice Age was on the way.

We lived through the Cuba Crisis (OK, I don't remember much about that) the New Ice Age cometh, Chernobyl (the clouds are on their way over) Creutzfeldt Jacob's Disease which was going to kill millions (it didn't) the hole in the Ozone layer etc. etc.

Perhaps many of the older generation are more cynical, less gullible, less easily alarmed, and, through experience, require more solid proof.

In my lifetime there have always been those who have predicted cataclysmic doom & gloom for the Earth and everyone on it, and, so far at least, each time they been proved completely wrong.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/50-years-of-failed-doomsday-eco-pocalyptic-predictions-the-so-called-experts-are-0-50/

I am very concerned about my children's future (no grandchildren yet) for many reasons, but 'man made climate change' isn't one of them.

Based on recent events I contest this statement, especially less gullible and requiring more proof. Just look at the demographic that voted brexit.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

How are you getting enough protein? That’s always my concern with meat free options. Everything that’s a “protein source” really isn’t. I just googled a list, top Is quinoa. At 14g per 100g (and 64g of carbs) that’s not a solid protein source. Almonds were another one ? 50g fat to get 20g protein.

I am however trying the meat replacement foods, there’s some really good meatballs at tesco that I buy, if you don’t expect quite the same taste ans just treat them as a different product they’re really nice.

the downside to that though is eating processed foods. And I don’t want to be drinking 2-3 protein shakes a day

Quorn sausages? Tofu is ok, with lots of spices. They do different flavours too. I also had viv era meat substitutes, that’s ok in a stir fry.

https://vivera.com/products/vivera-plant-shawarma-kebab/

fish is an excellent source of protein. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

image.thumb.png.c5aa4d22b81e1b2596ce5e86557ae9da.png

We did have an unusually hot summer in 1976. The image shows why this is not the same, and why those who are across the science are so concerned.

I appreciate that it will not be a massive issue for most of us in our lifetimes. However it will likely be the most important issue for our children/grandchildren. Remedies are complex and probably too little too late. But those who write it off saying it was hot in ‘76, calm down and have an ice cream, are seriously missing the point.

Good points, but Antarctica appears to be the hottest place on earth, which is a little odd

England had a tropical climate once, we have also been covered in thick ice, that tells me the climate ebbs and flows over the centuries it could just be that at the moment we are going through an upcycle and in a thousand years time we will again (well not me) be freezing our ass*s off.

17 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Ah, got it, so Antarctica has experienced the biggest change (e.g.) in terms of getting hotter 

Yep exactly right. The chart is showing the temperature difference of that year compared to the average from 1951 - 1980.

On 18/07/2022 at 09:24, HappyClapper said:

But those who write it off saying it was hot in ‘76, calm down and have an ice cream, are seriously missing the point.

I also read that in '76 excess deaths were up against averages by almost 30% during the heatwave period. Just relax and go to the beach indeed...

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

England had a tropical climate once, we have also been covered in thick ice, that tells me the climate ebbs and flows over the centuries it could just be that at the moment we are going through an upcycle and in a thousand years time we will again (well not me) be freezing our ass*s off.

You're right of course, but it's the rate of change which is concerning. The things you're talking about cover tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of years - we're seeing huge changes in decades. Here's a graph of CO2 levels in the atmosphere from the last 800,000 years for example:

300px-Carbon_Dioxide_800kyr.svg.png

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't know what to say to be honest. The unfortunate truth is there are probably millions like you - climate change deniers, who, despite tonnes of evidence still have their heads up their arse. Thankfully you are in a minority

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

On meat free days i often have a curry, containing chickpeas that have quite a lot of protein. Ive tried meat substitutes, but not really found anything that appealing. There was one meat free burger that was tasty, made from pea protein i believe, but it really smells weird - although admittedly that could be due to Covid after effects - still my smell/taste is off 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Quorn sausages? Tofu is ok, with lots of spices. They do different flavours too. I also had viv era meat substitutes, that’s ok in a stir fry.

https://vivera.com/products/vivera-plant-shawarma-kebab/

fish is an excellent source of protein. 

Never tried tofu, I think I’ll start experimenting with things when I eat out too as it’ll be cooked better than I can!

I like fish but that has similar moral issues to meat if not environmental

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Never tried tofu, I think I’ll start experimenting with things when I eat out too as it’ll be cooked better than I can!

I like fish but that has similar moral issues to meat if not environmental

I just have a go, I'm not great at cooking but there's so many flavours and cuisines to experiment with.

There's loads of people cooking on YouTube, some really interesting food from all over the world.

• Thanks 1

On 17/07/2022 at 22:30, BS4 on Tour... said:

... and that heat in ‘76 coincided with our boys getting promoted to the “premier” league - it was a superb summer and nothing to worry about! And if, in the very unlikely event, Greta Thunberg is reading this thread - that was nearly 50 years ago - and the planet is still here - the weather and climate goes in cycles - 1976 was very hot for a few weeks, it happened again in 1995, it happened again in 2018 and now we are gonna have a few hot days this week - so what?! 

With respect, all credible evidence suggests your view is naive at best, if not bordering on wilfully stupid. Unless you're a ******, in which case I apologise for saying "wilfully".

From the evidence available to me (your postings on OTIB), I don't think you're a ******. So I'm not sure why you don't want to believe the evidence presented by characters as intelligent and independent as Thunberg, Attenborough and Gore that the planet is getting hotter and the endgame for our planet will be as they describe. They ain't doing it just for shits and giggles. And one look at the characters arguing otherwise should at least give pause for thought - Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, Jeremy Clarkson, liars, bullshitters, gobshites. 

If you want to get into bed with Trump, fair enough. Everyone's entitled to their view. This doesn't make every view correct. Some are wrong - hello, you flat-earthers! Consequently, some people have views not worth listening. On this topic, I'd respectfully include your view as one of those.  

But enough, let's not de-rail this thread. We could always "take it outside" to the General Chat forum but what's the point?

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Climate has fluctuated over the millennia, but it is the present trajectory of change that is concerning.  Despite that nonsense you linked to, no one "was warning" about an imminent ice age in the 1950s and 60s because full ice ages take several thousands of years to come in and then last for millions of years. 

We are theoretically still in a "cool period" of the earth's climate: a period that has allowed humans to develop agriculture and civilization. 

Why current fluctuations are a matter for concern is the speed with which they are happening - largely the last 100 years. If the same climate changes had occurred over multiple thousands of years, then that could be seen as natural geothermic evolution. But it isn't - and see the 22,000-year timeline here to see how dramatic it is changing in the present time:    https://xkcd.com/1732/?fbclid=IwAR2f-NL4omNaX6w9vRpzjckXNyY2YXgOgunrGWqKRc2le8aK_PoL4uBhnHE

That this is caused by greenhouse gas emissions and deforestation driven by the way we live today is not doubted by 98% of the scientists working in the field. Obviously not by the oil company-funded, neoconservative "think tank" the American Enterprise Institute, who get articles written on climate change by businessmen rather than scientists. 

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The 'New Scientist' magazine reports that: "a survey of the Scientific literature has found that between 1965 and 1979, 44 scientific papers predicted warming, 20 were neutral and just 7 predicted cooling. So while predictions of cooling got more media attention, the majority of scientists were predicting warming even then."

15 minutes ago, redrob said:

For some reason?? It's because the term used (which I won't repeat) is a derogatory term historically used to describe people with a learning disability. And as a parent of a child with learning disabilities I find the term to be highly offensive regardless of the context t it is used in. 

It is no different to someone using the N word in jest. It's morally unacceptable and downright offensive. 

Well done mods and please censor the attempt to get around the censorship! 

I'm perfectly aware of all that. "Mental retardation" is a medical phrase, still in circulation. It's used without any intent at offensive and understood as such.

Why take offence at something when clearly none was clearly intended and the word was clearly used as a rhetorical device, to make an argument? You can't just cancel the use of a word completely just because some may take offence - even though the context in which it was used clearly indicates otherwise.   Wokedom, snowflakery (in this weather!), cancel culture. 

So now I've managed to do a complete 180 volte face and find myself in bed with Trump, Clarkson and, possibly, BS4 on tour, railing against wokedom! Strange days indeed  

Anyway, enough, this thread will get de-railed. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

Interestingly, Margaret Thatcher, who studied Chemistry at Oxford, was the first prominent world leader to make speeches on the threat of "man made climate change" in the late 1980s. I don't know if @Nogbad the Bad is familiar with this?

Her motivation might well have been the increase of the Green vote in Europe and then here but according to Jonathan Porritt she raised the environment from a fringe, tree-hugging thing to part of the national agenda.

Pity her actions didn't match the words. But anyway, the fact of man-made climate change has been known about for decades - hence why the fossil fuel industry spent hundreds of millions confusing and mis-informing everyone, including poor Nog watching Newsround - even if doubt remains still to this day amongst those that perhaps ought to be more curious and cautious and sceptical about the messanger than the now unanimous message.

• Like 2