IGNORED

Extreme heat

bristol_dunc

13 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Newsflash: It needs to be rammed down your throat or you grandkids are going to roast. So, nothing out of the ordinary is frankly not good enough

Just a bit of an overreaction there. I have to ask, what would you consider to be good enough to combat climate change?

15 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Sounds like a dystopian dictatorship with robots that you are embracing, can't see everyone being quite so enthusiastic to be honest. And I don't see it saving the future when most of the world will still be burning fossil fuels anyway.

Talk about putting words in my mouth. It doesn't have to be, but I'm sure your paranoid little mind is working overtime. You should read China's aggressive Green policy charter, enshrined in law, or acknowledge that Biden is trying to implement greener policies before you throw around ludicrous shit like "everyone else will be burning fossil fuels anyway". China cannot survive without green energy. Fact. And they have realised this. Also, fact. 

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What I have achieved is none of your business - but what has Greta achieved?

It became my business when you implied that you'd achieved something significant in your life, which was equal to - or greater than - what Thunberg has achieved. Please enlighten us? It's not like you're too modest, as you brought it up.... so come on, tell us. If it's something to be proud of, then don't be shy...

Edited by Kid in the Riot

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If only you knew ... and you think Greta is a ‘hero’ - good grief ... and I am not a ‘simpleton’ - pedantic, yes! But not a simpleton - pathetic that you’d dismiss a fellow poster like that ...

The very fact you don’t think Greta is a hero says a lot.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Talk about putting words in my mouth. It doesn't have to be, but I'm sure your paranoid little mind is working overtime. You should read China's aggressive Green policy charter, enshrined in law, or acknowledge that Biden is trying to implement greener policies before you throw around ludicrous shit like "everyone else will be burning fossil fuels anyway". China cannot survive without green energy. Fact. And they have realised this. Also, fact. 

It became my business when you implied that you'd achieved something significant in your life, which was equal to - or greater than - what Thunberg has achieved. Please enlighten us? It's not like you're too modest, as you brought it up.... so come on, tell us. If it's something to be proud of, then don't be shy...

You said yourself that it's a more controlled society and that you were embracing it. It doesn't have to be a dictatorship if you close your eyes to the realities I guess such as only a few at the top being able to own cars. As for taking a leap of faith on the words of the Chinese communist party well that sounds like a wonderful idea after covid when we have to implement policies on a tighter timescale, no way we could live to regret that one as they are an emerging rival superpower to the West. Plus I believe Biden has had to water down his climate policies too (or he can bypass the democratic process and get around it which sounds about right ?)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/19/joe-biden-climate-emergency?ref=upstract.com&curator=upstract.com

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

On this thread you’ve called me ‘stupid’ and a ‘simpleton’ just because I disagree with your views - so you can’t have a grown up debate without resorting to abuse?! When I joined this forum over 18 years ago it was a place where you could have vigorous debate around a range of issues  without being abused - you’ve shown that no longer exists as far as you are concerned - and I’ve asked you repeatedly on this thread what you mean by your post that said ‘our grandkids are going to roast’ - yet you’ve decided to refrain from answering - probably because you cannot justify that statement - anyhow, I’ve had enough, I’m going away from this now ...

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
31 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

More than you buddy. She is a hero. I’m afraid you are a pedantic simpleton. 

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Sorry for jumping into your conversation, but how the heck can you describe her as a hero, that's a really odd word to describe her 

• Flames 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, !james said:

Don't think there are any facts yet?

If the compost combusted due to the heat as it's also being reported it's slightly different than someone starting it deliberately?

Anyway just a normal July day eh! 

Dinner lady Debbie desperately tried to round up their cats and dog as firefighters rapped on their door.

Gary recalled: “I had a call and she said, ‘The house has gone up in flames.’ It’s terrible. I’ve just finished paying off the mortgage two months ago. We were told it was a compost fire that started it all.”

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet despite being asked repeatedly you can’t say what Thunberg has actually achieved - no worries - I’m out of here ...

Yet despite being asked repeatedly you can't say what you have actually achieved - weak, and pathetic.

Thunberg has mobilised millions of school children to draw attention to their future plight. In comparison, you have achieved nothing. Zilch. Goodbye ?

• Admin
5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And add the ones started deliberately... 

Hopefully not deliberately but complete stupidity 

Another at Lickey Hills Country Park, near Birmingham, spread to around 50,000 sq m and forced people to flee their homes.

It is believed to have been started by a disposable BBQ, which fire chiefs want banned.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yet despite being asked repeatedly you can't say what you have actually achieved - weak, and pathetic.

Thunberg has mobilised millions of school children to draw attention to their future plight. In comparison, you have achieved nothing. Zilch. Goodbye ?

You are being very unfair to @BS4 on Tour... he has repeatedly corrected people on their grammar for over 10 years on this forum. That is important work. Maybe even gods work.   Oh hang on, is it ‘god’s work’…..?  At least I’ve given him something to do.  

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Yep, that's it - I imagine still on the chilly side, just not as cold as it might have previously been. I'd probably still pack some gloves if you're off there anytime soon! ;)

I wish you'd have said sooner, I'm sat here in a pair of shorts, t shirt and flip flops (sliders are something you find in a park) freezing me wotsits off ?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

she’s a young, manipulated kid who should just go to school and stop being a puppet ...

She's 19, mandatory education in Sweden ends at 17.

Rather ironic that you accuse her of being a puppet, when all you've done is regurgitate lies you've been told (private jets, "go to school!" etc).

I always think of this cartoon when it comes to climate change deniers.

attachment.png?w=1014

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phantom said:

Sorry for jumping into your conversation, but how the heck can you describe her as a hero, that's a really odd word to describe her 

A young kid that has brought together millions of people, stood up to the established “grey heads” and spoke so eloquently. She has told the uncomfortable truths that need to be said, which is why so many belittle her. That makes her a hero in my book tbh

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Your grandkids are going to roast” - surely you can see that is overreacting?! The planet has survived countless climate cycles ... yet we are still here ... I thought most intelligent people have realised that the scaremongering recent media messaging is just tripe ...

Which climate cycles has it survived?

If you're simply referring to this infamous summer of 76, you do realise it was much hotter yesterday? 

If you're talking since the dawn of time, then well that's just silly because things didn't survive.

Then define surviving? 1700 people across the continent haven't "survived" this heat wave. Also fires are raging, and it's getting closer to home for some of us. I don't remember widespread outbreaks of fires across the country in my life time? (though i could be wrong)

It's lunacy to try and deny there's an issue.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Which climate cycles has it survived?

Oh come on, at the very very least you’ll know of the ice age. There’s been some fascinating periods of history involving climate, although they are generally caused by volcanic eruptions in the most extreme cases. 

Difference between now and then is that is is likely caused by our activities. 

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I don't remember widespread outbreaks of fires across the country in my life time? (though i could be wrong)

Its certainly not uncommon, Moreland ect 

6 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Oh come on, at the very very least you’ll know of the ice age.

Yes, but the claim was "survived". Try telling the woolly mammoths that it was survivable.

Closer to us, it's likely that Neanderthals went extinct because of a changing climate.

Those examples are of course because of natural climate change. As you said, previous climate change was caused by things like volcanic eruptions. This time though, it's us. 

25 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Oh come on, at the very very least you’ll know of the ice age. There’s been some fascinating periods of history involving climate, although they are generally caused by volcanic eruptions in the most extreme cases. 

The ice age that led to the extinction of many species? 

25 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Difference between now and then is that is is likely caused by our activities. 

Its certainly not uncommon, Moreland ect 

It's definitely not "common". Yesterday morning Cambs Fire & Rescue had to put out a warning that all 19 crews were currently commited to incidents and we're calling in people to make up additional crews due to demand

In the afternoon they posted again that all crews were in action. I know people in the service, it was relentless and unprecedented yesterday in this area.

in London, crews had to travel over 20 miles to incidents in different boroughs as there wasn't enough cover.

Don't take my word for it, listen to the experts and people dealing with the chaos.

13 hours ago, phantom said:

image.png

If every family in the UK went vegan for just one day a week, it would be the equivalent of taking 16,000,000 cars off of the road. That is an insane number.

Even if people aren't vegetarian/vegan for animal welfare reasons, I really hope this is the wake up call some need. The absolute reality is that things need to be done on a political/business level for the world to change significantly. But in terms of what you and I can do to help stop this - the single most effective and easiest way to make a big change is to significantly reduce your meat and dairy consumption. And it's something we can all do, even just one day a week.

This isn't patronising, it's not preaching, it's simply fact. Be part of the solution, not the problem ?

• Like 5

13 hours ago, phantom said:

Hopefully not deliberately but complete stupidity 

Another at Lickey Hills Country Park, near Birmingham, spread to around 50,000 sq m and forced people to flee their homes.

It is believed to have been started by a disposable BBQ, which fire chiefs want banned.

The Fire Service said they had found `traces of accelerant` at the seat of four of the Saddleworth Moor ones.