IGNORED

Extreme heat

bristol_dunc

Humans have "survived" inclement weather in the past by, er, migrating. So, one day, in the future, people going by the name "Farage" will be alighting aboard ferries and other floating vessels and sailing from the north of these islands and rocking up in Ice or Green land or somewhere north of here saying: can we stay? It's much cooler here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

If every family in the UK went vegan for just one day a week, it would be the equivalent of taking 16,000,000 cars off of the road. That is an insane number.

Even if people aren't vegetarian/vegan for animal welfare reasons, I really hope this is the wake up call some need. The absolute reality is that things need to be done on a political/business level for the world to change significantly. But in terms of what you and I can do to help stop this - the single most effective and easiest way to make a big change is to significantly reduce your meat and dairy consumption. And it's something we can all do, even just one day a week.

This isn't patronising, it's not preaching, it's simply fact. Be part of the solution, not the problem ?

I think this is a big part of it, I was accused on here the other day of being hypocritical because I said climate change was an important issue but wasn't a vegan.

You can't do everything on your own, but every little thing does help, be it having meat free days, be it walking instead of driving somewhere.

Another big help would be a sensibly organised and integrated, affordable public transport system. Whilst it remains cheaper for two or three people to share a car rather than take public transport then it is just never going to work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I think this is a big part of it, I was accused on here the other day of being hypocritical because I said climate change was an important issue but wasn't a vegan.

You can't do everything on your own, but every little thing does help, be it having meat free days, be it walking instead of driving somewhere.

Another big help would be a sensibly organised and integrated, affordable public transport system. Whilst it remains cheaper for two or three people to share a car rather than take public transport then it is just never going to work.

Absolutely true, this is the crucial thing. People will never use public transport until it's accessible and fit for purpose. As it stands, it's neither. Go to cities where public transport infrastructure is decent and the number of cars on the road is noticeably lower.

Going vegan is roughly (well, very roughly) about as efficient in reducing CO2 emissions as not driving your car. Unfortunately the latter isn't particularly feasible for many but reducing meat intake and reducing driving even just a bit are the 2 best things we can do to reduce our impact.

• Like 1