IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle pre-season friendly match day thread

Just got back from the match, only live 35 mins away.

My impressions for what they are worth., 

Argyle No 5 has Martin in his pocket.  Martin only came alive after the 5 was subed.

Vyner lots of shouting, passes going astray not at all impressed.  Again seemed to get better as the Argyle subs were vastly inferior.

NHM had a so so 1st half, 2nd half went to sleep, only contribution was winning a ball at half way line and putting Wells through , very good save the their keeper.

Fitness was impressive, all had a lot of running in them. AW again was my man of the match for City.

For Argyle their no 14 had the left touch line to him self, and was very impresive.

Was sitting with some friends why the home fans, comments about NHM was had a lot of tricks but liked to pass square.  plenty of step overs and fast leg work, i am sure that if he goes it will not be too much of a miss.

Looking forward to the new season with hope!!

• Like 4

Living in Devon, it was nice to go and see the boys in action. Sweltering heat and you could see some of the team were struggling with it in the 2nd half. Wilson had a few decent touches, Dasilva looked sharp, but it was hard to see how the coming season will be much better than the last! Pretty lacklustre with little imagination.

But good to get minutes in and we did win again so good for morale.

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Had we been playing a Championship side we’d have played our Championship side. 

This forum is no place for that sort of common sense logic!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, RedInDevon said:

Living in Devon, it was nice to go and see the boys in action. Sweltering heat and you could see some of the team were struggling with it in the 2nd half. Wilson had a few decent touches, Dasilva looked sharp, but it was hard to see how the coming season will be much better than the last! Pretty lacklustre with little imagination.

But good to get minutes in and we did win again so good for morale.

The coming season will be better than last courtesy of us being harder to beat and shipping fewer goals. That'll be Nigel's plan, I reckons

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kernored said:

Argyle No 5 has Martin in his pocket.  Martin only came alive after the 5 was subed.

Vyner lots of shouting, passes going astray not at all impressed.  Again seemed to get better as the Argyle subs were vastly inferior.

NHM had a so so 1st half, 2nd half went to sleep, only contribution was winning a ball at half way line and putting Wells through , very good save the their keeper.

Fitness was impressive, all had a lot of running in them. AW again was my man of the match for City.

For Argyle their no 14 had the left touch line to him self, and was very impresive.

Was sitting with some friends why the home fans, comments about NHM was had a lot of tricks but liked to pass square.  plenty of step overs and fast leg work, i am sure that if he goes it will not be too much of a miss.

Was NHM an improvement on HNM?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Had we been playing a Championship side we’d have played our Championship side. 

If the other players were fit, the defenders playing today are all part of the first team squad and could play at any time. It's good that the defence was tested, but I'm sure NP wouldn't have been happy with some of our play in that area, that's the point of friendlies to find the weaknesses in matches that don't matter.

15 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Was NHM an improvement on HNM?

The Argyle 5 was James Wilson once a youngster at City. Martin looked a little off it but he may have had some sleepless nights recently. I'm sure his sharpness will pick up. Weimann and Conway were super energetic and much of our chances arrived courtesy of one or both putting Argyle players under pressure. HNM and King were OK but they got overrun by the Plymouth midfield 3 at times. Neither look likely to replace the James/Williams pairing. Vyner was often exposed as City's right side of the back 3 (Klose played in the middle with Naismith rested) and Argyle should have scored 1st half but their forward line couldn't hit a barn door. City made a rash of subs at 60 minutes and Bell and Sykes were the pick for me although Towler was unlucky with a header that hit the bar. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, kernored said:

Sounds like Luke Freeman Mk II

15 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The Argyle 5 was James Wilson once a youngster at City. Martin looked a little off it but he may have had some sleepless nights recently. I'm sure his sharpness will pick up. Weimann and Conway were super energetic and much of our chances arrived courtesy of one or both putting Argyle players under pressure. HNM and King were OK but they got overrun by the Plymouth midfield 3 at times. Neither look likely to replace the James/Williams pairing. Vyner was often exposed as City's right side of the back 3 (Klose played in the middle with Naismith rested) and Argyle should have scored 1st half but their forward line couldn't hit a barn door. City made a rash of subs at 60 minutes and Bell and Sykes were the pick for me although Towler was unlucky with a header that hit the bar. 

Always thought a lot of James Wilson

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

The coming season will be better than last courtesy of us being harder to beat and shipping fewer goals. That'll be Nigel's plan, I reckons

Having just watched the highlights, that’ll be very much classed as a competitive run out for the legs by the coaching staff. Very much over-run with 2 in midfield, especially if the midfield pairing are all over the shop, as seemingly the case today.