IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle pre-season friendly match day thread

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'd be disappointed if we were a bottom 8 team again but the reality is we've signed 1 player - a Right Back - that strengthens last year's team, so I'm not sure how much improvement we can realistically expect. You'd hope a full season of Klose would help too I suppose. 

Naismith?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'd be disappointed if we were a bottom 8 team again but the reality is we've signed 1 player - a Right Back - that strengthens last year's team, so I'm not sure how much improvement we can realistically expect. You'd hope a full season of Klose would help too I suppose. 

Naismith as well

I always avoid watching pre-season matches as they’re usually pretty dire. Today seemed to be no exception if the comments are correct. I had a relaxing afternoon watching the Tour De France. It was relaxing because I didn’t care who won and I could fall asleep, if I wanted to, during the boring bits. I’ve tried doing this whilst watching City matches but the seats in the Dolman are too uncomfortable 

• Haha 3
Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Is Kalas-Klose-Naismith that much of an upgrade on Kalas-Klose-Atkinson??

I’d certainly argue Luton’s current player of the year would be amongst our best 3 central defenders, so a slight upgrade, yes.

Just my opinion though, of course.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, westonred said:

The only one who comes out with any credit is Massengo..  Klose looks shakey, Vyner awful, King's absent Martins not in it Weimann not effective without Semenyos unpredictability up front Not sure Conways quite ready yet. We need a wide attacker like their Miller who looks a tidy signing for them anyone know where they got him ? Yes i know its only a friendly and not many of them 1st choice starters but if we have injuries and suspensions some of this lot dont look good enough     

Rotherham on a free transfer.  Good coup for Plymouth, but history suggests at 26 he’s at his level though in Lg1.

1 hour ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Who’s this Clark lad that’s come on?

Clark didn’t come on…??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

(Or is that a whoosh)

38 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Amazed how people continue to read loads into friendlies 

There are some things to read into friendlies, but not necessarily result or performance.

Unless all the players that missed today through injury or test (Kalas, Semenyo, Naismith, James, Williams and Scott, etc) are all unavailable for Hull City (a) that will be nothing like the side for our opening game.  So why do some need to be so critical / over-critical?

Today was a good test, just what we wanted against a top eight Lg1 team, who pretty much playing their best eleven.

I thought Atkinson played well, Han-Noah and Weimann too.

Klose got caught a bit by Hardie’s movement, and King didn’t get on the ball enough to give Massengo more licence. Han created a few chances for others by pinching the ball high up.

Tanner not got the skills to dribble past his man, so needs good early ball to use the space, he didn’t really get that from Vyner today…nor was someone like Joe Williams playing to ping him early either.

But at the end of the day, 90s, 60s and 30s for the squad as they build their match fitness.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The expectation for me is that a couple of the youngsters will make a mark and be competitive for a place. If that happens and we can keep clear of the injury nightmare of the last three years then we can be competitive with most of the division. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

After offloading a couple of big names at the start of summer I was hoping we'd have a better campaign this year, but it looks like a few of the youngsters might have managed to make the step up.

Early days though and a decent start might see them struggling to keep it up. We'll see!

Mate.

I don’t want to see you in the match day thread unless it’s posting the goals. Been waiting to see you come up and rather than the expected “streamja” link, you’ve decided to go all hoighty-toighty and give analysis in a positive manner.

Sort it out ?

• Haha 6
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rotherham on a free transfer.  Good coup for Plymouth, but history suggests at 26 he’s at his level though in Lg1.

Clark didn’t come on…??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

(Or is that a whoosh)

There are some things to read into friendlies, but not necessarily result or performance.

Unless all the players that missed today through injury or test (Kalas, Semenyo, Naismith, James, Williams and Scott, etc) are all unavailable for Hull City (a) that will be nothing like the side for our opening game.  So why do some need to be so critical / over-critical?

Today was a good test, just what we wanted against a top eight Lg1 team, who pretty much playing their best eleven.

I thought Atkinson played well, Han-Noah and Weimann too.

Klose got caught a bit by Hardie’s movement, and King didn’t get on the ball enough to give Massengo more licence. Han created a few chances for others by pinching the ball high up.

Tanner not got the skills to dribble past his man, so needs good early ball to use the space, he didn’t really get that from Vyner today…nor was someone like Joe Williams playing to ping him early either.

But at the end of the day, 90s, 60s and 30s for the squad as they build their match fitness.

A friend of mine was there who supports Plymouth and he texted me immediately after the game asking who HNM was and wanted to know more about him. Massively impressed. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A friend of mine was there who supports Plymouth and he texted me immediately after the game asking who HNM was and wanted to know more about him. Massively impressed. 

Has he been in a hole for 3 years….and no, I’m not referring to Plymouth ???

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Super said:

Decent run out against a fairly good team. Thought Bell looked better than Conway if it's a battle between them. Wilson looked class. Vyner was Vyner. Very impressed with our fitness we finished very strongly.

Bell got to play as a 10 today, so managed to find a bit of space that Conway wasn’t afforded playing back to goal. Tommy didn’t have his best game on the ball, but worked tirelessly to press.  Bell unlucky to be offside after a good interchange with Wells.  Good early pass of course for the goal too.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Mate.

I don’t want to see you in the match day thread unless it’s posting the goals. Been waiting to see you come up and rather than the expected “streamja” link, you’ve decided to go all hoighty-toighty and give analysis in a positive manner.

Sort it out ?

My partner is out with her friends so I'm on solo toddler looking after duty unfortunately, so no city for me :(

34 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I was actually talking about the forum moaners rather than our squad!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bell got to play as a 10 today, so managed to find a bit of space that Conway wasn’t afforded playing back to goal. Tommy didn’t have his best game on the ball, but worked tirelessly to press.  Bell unlucky to be offside after a good interchange with Wells.  Good early pass of course for the goal too.

I didn't think that was offside tbh.

43 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I think you've been whooshed there, Geoff. Unless you've double whooshed me?

39 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Is Kalas-Klose-Naismith that much of an upgrade on Kalas-Klose-Atkinson??

Atkinson-Klose-Naismith is better than both.

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We’ll miss him when he’s gone. Should probably be starting over James first game of the season.

• Confused 1