IGNORED

Fan behaviour

Jimbo76

10 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Ok, so this post is going to annoy some.

First off, I'm not naive about the behaviour of football fans. Before moving away from Bristol, throughout the 90s, I had a season ticket in the upper part of Dolman block C so was fairly close to the 'excitable' fans and have heard, joined in with and laughed frequently at the songs and general banter that is standard across football.

But yesterday was, for me, a different experience. Now my views will be affected by the fact that I was taking my 7 year old to his first ever football match and I wanted it to be a success.

It wasn't (ok the football didn't help but that's not the issue). I had already warned him that he would hear lots of swearing and I expected to hear all forms and lots of it. Again, not the issue.

For me, the issue is the anger and vitriol that accompanied it and the apparent obsession with paedophillia. This was a pre season friendly in sunny weather at another West country club. Perfect opportunity for singing, banter and classic terrace humour.

Why then did I ( and more importantly my 7 year old) have to listen to at least 25 minutes of foul abuse, singling out a Plymouth fan as a ****ing n*nce, a ****ing p*edo and various other forms of the same abuse. All delivered, as I say, with what seemed like genuine anger. Why?

Even when the target had to relocate because of the abuse and there was a kid left there, apparently crying (according to the bloke next to me), it prompted songs of 'where's your daddy gone?', 'we want our paedo back' etc...

My lad didn't know where to look and when I asked if he was alright he said he was a bit scared. I asked why and he said because of 'all the angry men'.

When did paedophillia become funny?

He heard the terms so many times yesterday that all he wanted to know afterwards was what a 'paedo' and a 'n*nce' were. I dread to think what he'll be saying in the playground tomorrow.

Why can you go to the cricket or the rugby and still have great crowd interaction without all the extreme abuse. 

I know some will read this and think I'm being over sensitive, and there may be some truth in that, because I was so keen for my lad to enjoy the day (and he didn't) but I really think there is a question of appropriate behaviour to be asked.

Doesn’t annoy me in one little bit but it seems your rant is that you took your kid and it upset you,quite what the weather has anything to do with it I’m not sure as for cricket you mean the sport where they are fighting in the stands all the time(there is a thread if you look)and let’s not get started on the myth of no trouble at rugby games,as for your son be a proper parent and tell him what he heard was wrong,not rocket science 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Doesn’t annoy me in one little bit but it seems your rant is that you took your kid and it upset you,quite what the weather has anything to do with it I’m not sure as for cricket you mean the sport where they are fighting in the stands all the time(there is a thread if you look)and let’s not get started on the myth of no trouble at rugby games,as for your son be a proper parent and tell him what he heard was wrong,not rocket science 

I'd venture it has annoyed you slightly?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

First off, I'm not naive about the behaviour of football fans. Before moving away from Bristol, throughout the 90s, I had a season ticket in the upper part of Dolman block C so was fairly close to the 'excitable' fans and have heard, joined in with and laughed frequently at the songs and general banter that is standard across football.

But yesterday was, for me, a different experience. Now my views will be affected by the fact that I was taking my 7 year old to his first ever football match and I wanted it to be a success.

It wasn't (ok the football didn't help but that's not the issue). I had already warned him that he would hear lots of swearing and I expected to hear all forms and lots of it. Again, not the issue.

For me, the issue is the anger and vitriol that accompanied it and the apparent obsession with paedophillia. This was a pre season friendly in sunny weather at another West country club. Perfect opportunity for singing, banter and classic terrace humour.

Why then did I ( and more importantly my 7 year old) have to listen to at least 25 minutes of foul abuse, singling out a Plymouth fan as a ****ing n*nce, a ****ing p*edo and various other forms of the same abuse. All delivered, as I say, with what seemed like genuine anger. Why?

Even when the target had to relocate because of the abuse and there was a kid left there, apparently crying (according to the bloke next to me), it prompted songs of 'where's your daddy gone?', 'we want our paedo back' etc...

My lad didn't know where to look and when I asked if he was alright he said he was a bit scared. I asked why and he said because of 'all the angry men'.

He heard the terms so many times yesterday that all he wanted to know afterwards was what a 'paedo' and a 'n*nce' were. I dread to think what he'll be saying in the playground tomorrow.

Why can you go to the cricket or the rugby and still have great crowd interaction without all the extreme abuse. 

I know some will read this and think I'm being over sensitive, and there may be some truth in that, because I was so keen for my lad to enjoy the day (and he didn't) but I really think there is a question of appropriate behaviour to be asked.

Sorry you and your boy had to experience this. It shouldn't be the case and quite frankly I don't know why football 'fans' have to be like this when other teams sports don't have the same. 

And at a pre-season friendly makes it even more deplorable. 

Wanting to take my 7 year old (he saw one game when he was 4) but its behaviour like this that puts me off. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I don't like the sexual chants either and I'm an old git who knows what the words mean although I expect many of those chanting such filth don't. You have to remember you're dealing with 15-20 year olds with 4th-6th form mentality where 'boobies' make them snigger or a, few older types who haven't got their mind out of the 6th form yet. If it was an individual you could report it to the stewards but they're not going to take action against a sizeable group. I never took my nephew to a City away match until he was 15 and I certainly wouldn't take my 7 year old great nephew to one, which is sad. He's better off watching Melksham Town. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, redrob said:

Sorry you and your boy had to experience this. It shouldn't be the case and quite frankly I don't know why football 'fans' have to be like this when other teams sports don't have the same. 

And at a pre-season friendly makes it even more deplorable. 

Wanting to take my 7 year old (he saw one game when he was 4) but its behaviour like this that puts me off. 

Why at a pre-season friendly does it make it worse,what a odd comment 

50 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

I understand how frustrating your day must have been, as a parent who has taken my daughter then my son with various levels of success in various situations.

Unfortunately, and I say this with no hint of malice, the behaviour of others is seen as far more unacceptable when you're stressing about what your kid is hearing. It's not going to change because you don't want to hear it.

My kids always knew that a condition of going to football is that what you hear there, stays there. I hope your next attempt works out better for you!

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

The whole thing yesterday was pretty bizarre, the Plymouth fan in question seemed to revel in the attention and it was bizarre that Plymouths stewards solution was to move him and not the people he was with 

As for the chants, I’ve hear them at several away games and whilst it’s pretty cringeworthy it seems par for the course although it’s unfortunate that kids get to hear it 

Edited by East Londoner
Spelling

1 hour ago, harrys said:

I’m afraid it’s a very common thing at most matches, you either accept it and take it in your stride or not

Why should people accept something that is wrong? People should never accept unacceptable behaviour. I’m old enough to remember how bad things were in the 60s and 70s when things were really bad. Younger supporters don’t realise what it was like in those days when you went to a football match. I thought things were getting better, but obviously not. The fact that a 7 year old ended up crying because of “all the angry men” is disgraceful. Well done to @Jimbo76 for standing up to this 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I’m afraid that ‘banter’ is part and parcel of the game.
At home games it’s not so much of a problem because you can choose to sit in the family section (although even this doesn’t seem to guarantee there isn’t some knobhead swearing and I think these people should be ejected from the section).

However, at away games there isn’t a choice where you sit, and hence I sympathise with the OP. Again I would like to think that people would look around them and tone it down if there were young children around, but I accept that this would be optimistic.

The option that would help is unreserved seating for away games. I know this isn’t popular with some, but this would allow people to choose to sit in a section which is less likely to be as ‘aggressive’.

21 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

I’m afraid that ‘banter’ is part and parcel of the game.
At home games it’s not so much of a problem because you can choose to sit in the family section (although even this doesn’t seem to guarantee there isn’t some knobhead swearing and I think these people should be ejected from the section).

However, at away games there isn’t a choice where you sit, and hence I sympathise with the OP. Again I would like to think that people would look around them and tone it down if there were young children around, but I accept that this would be optimistic.

The option that would help is unreserved seating for away games. I know this isn’t popular with some, but this would allow people to choose to sit in a section which is less likely to be as ‘aggressive’.

Or these idiots could just grow up or is that asking too much?

• Like 1