IGNORED

Fan behaviour

Jimbo76

1 minute ago, Super said:

Or these idiots could just grow up or is that asking too much?

A lot of these idiots don’t have the self control or intelligence when sober, let alone after a few beers.

I agree with the OP to an extent. I enjoy the banter & singing at games (I am not one to sing for 90mins mind) however yesterday that just felt a little over the top. I guess everyone behaves differently to how they ordinarily would away from football matches but that was just uncomfortable yesterday.

What if it was the Plymouth kids first game? Just very odd behaviour. Really is.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

Ok, so this post is going to annoy some.

First off, I'm not naive about the behaviour of football fans. Before moving away from Bristol, throughout the 90s, I had a season ticket in the upper part of Dolman block C so was fairly close to the 'excitable' fans and have heard, joined in with and laughed frequently at the songs and general banter that is standard across football.But yesterday was, for me, a different experience. Now my views will be affected by the fact that I was taking my 7 and I expected to hear all forms and lots of it. Again, not the issue.

For me, the issue is the anger and vitriol that accompanied it and the apparent obsession with paedophillia. This was a pre season friendly in sunny weather at another West country club. Perfect opportunity for singing, banter and classic terrace humour.

Why can you go to the cricket or the rugby and still have great crowd interaction without all the extreme abuse. 

I know some will read this and think I'm being over sensitive, and there may be some truth in that, because I was so keen for my lad to enjoy the day (and he didn't) but I really think there is a question of appropriate behaviour to be asked.

Unfortunately profanity and bigoted comments - nearly always aimed at opposing fans or players are all too common at football matches and is for the course - certainly with professional football and has gone on for decades, probably since the game first started attracting fans well over a century ago.

Maybe you should take you lad to see the Bears at AG - it’s a very different atmosphere and he’ll get to experience a packed out AG and that’s a great experience in itself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unfortunately profanity and bigoted comments - nearly always aimed at opposing fans or players are all too common at football matches and is for the course - certainly with professional football and has gone on for decades, probably since the game first started attracting fans well over a century ago.

Maybe you should take you lad to see the Bears at AG - it’s a very different atmosphere and he’ll get to experience a packed out AG and that’s a great experience in itself.

I can take him to see City at Ashton Gate and sit in the Lansdown Stand and have a great day - and that's what we will do.

Away games with a little one probably not a good idea. But seeing as I live in Devon, it seemed a good idea.

• Like 11

Sorry Jimbo, you've been to enough games to know the score.

My dad took me in the 70's which was much worse and I took my lad in the noughties, which was like today.

Young blokes will always shout something abusive, as they've always done, without really realising what they're saying, probably thatchers fuelled ( or something worse) to look 'hard' / funny ( it's not).

Sadly, for us parents, it becomes a parenting lesson that what they hear at football isn't repeated.

Dad sold it to me as a 'father and son' thing and I did the same, luckily it worked.

I'm most certainly not condoning what was chanted but, as a responsible parent, you really do know what to do WTGR.

1 hour ago, Greedo said:

Go watch cricket or rugby instead then softlad

"softlad" because the actions of some mindless idiots made him and his young son feel uncomfortable..? 

I'd say it wasn't him being soft, but those who were making other fellow supporters feel that way, that would be better of going to do something else. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm. All for the banter and a bit of piss taking is all well & good - but if these idiot think it's a good idea to take to the levels that leaves a child in the home end in tears & someone feeling that they need to move from their place in the ground, plus making others in & around tour own support feel uncomfortable, then it's most certainly them with the problem & not those that are forced to endure their witless, brain dead bullying of someone who was just there for a day out (by the sounds of it, probably with their kid) 

It's the sort of thing that we'd be ridiculing Rovers fans about, if it were to happen at one of their games. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 3

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Doesn’t annoy me in one little bit but it seems your rant is that you took your kid and it upset you,quite what the weather has anything to do with it I’m not sure as for cricket you mean the sport where they are fighting in the stands all the time(there is a thread if you look)and let’s not get started on the myth of no trouble at rugby games,as for your son be a proper parent and tell him what he heard was wrong,not rocket science 

Wow

13 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Doesn’t annoy me in one little bit but it seems your rant is that you took your kid and it upset you,quite what the weather has anything to do with it I’m not sure as for cricket you mean the sport where they are fighting in the stands all the time(there is a thread if you look)and let’s not get started on the myth of no trouble at rugby games,as for your son be a proper parent and tell him what he heard was wrong,not rocket science 

Not annoyed?

13 hours ago, harrys said:

I’m afraid it’s a very common thing at most matches, you either accept it and take it in your stride or not

Like racism and fighting used to be, so we should have accepted that as well?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

First off, I'm not naive about the behaviour of football fans. Before moving away from Bristol, throughout the 90s, I had a season ticket in the upper part of Dolman block C so was fairly close to the 'excitable' fans and have heard, joined in with and laughed frequently at the songs and general banter that is standard across football.

But yesterday was, for me, a different experience. Now my views will be affected by the fact that I was taking my 7 year old to his first ever football match and I wanted it to be a success.

It wasn't (ok the football didn't help but that's not the issue). I had already warned him that he would hear lots of swearing and I expected to hear all forms and lots of it. Again, not the issue.

For me, the issue is the anger and vitriol that accompanied it and the apparent obsession with paedophillia. This was a pre season friendly in sunny weather at another West country club. Perfect opportunity for singing, banter and classic terrace humour.

Why then did I ( and more importantly my 7 year old) have to listen to at least 25 minutes of foul abuse, singling out a Plymouth fan as a ****ing n*nce, a ****ing p*edo and various other forms of the same abuse. All delivered, as I say, with what seemed like genuine anger. Why?

Even when the target had to relocate because of the abuse and there was a kid left there, apparently crying (according to the bloke next to me), it prompted songs of 'where's your daddy gone?', 'we want our paedo back' etc...

My lad didn't know where to look and when I asked if he was alright he said he was a bit scared. I asked why and he said because of 'all the angry men'.

When did paedophillia become funny?

He heard the terms so many times yesterday that all he wanted to know afterwards was what a 'paedo' and a 'n*nce' were. I dread to think what he'll be saying in the playground tomorrow.

Why can you go to the cricket or the rugby and still have great crowd interaction without all the extreme abuse. 

I know some will read this and think I'm being over sensitive, and there may be some truth in that, because I was so keen for my lad to enjoy the day (and he didn't) but I really think there is a question of appropriate behaviour to be asked.

Completely understandable. In a preseason friendly, whats the need?

10 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

I can take him to see City at Ashton Gate and sit in the Lansdown Stand and have a great day - and that's what we will do.

Away games with a little one probably not a good idea. But seeing as I live in Devon, it seemed a good idea.

100%. At AG, if im honest its not the most hostile experience compared to other stadiums, and really quite enjoyable at the top of the lansdown when your just watching the football. 

Maybe avoid away games for a few years, you get the ‘ultras’ (as cringe as it sounds’ who travel the miles to give some to a innocent man, because they feel like they are on top of the world. Just is what it is unfortunately mate.

13 hours ago, Stortz said:

I understand how frustrating your day must have been, as a parent who has taken my daughter then my son with various levels of success in various situations.

Unfortunately, and I say this with no hint of malice, the behaviour of others is seen as far more unacceptable when you're stressing about what your kid is hearing. It's not going to change because you don't want to hear it.

My kids always knew that a condition of going to football is that what you hear there, stays there. I hope your next attempt works out better for you!

It’s good advice , my old man used to say to me I’d hear bad language at the football but under no circumstances was I to repeat it and if I did he wouldn’t  take me. I swore at home a lot during the Pulis tenure 

• Haha 5

Unfortunately singling someone out and calling them a paedo as part of a football chant is par for the course these days, it's certainly not clever and not routine 'banter', especially when the guy on the receiving end is sat with his kids. I'm sure I heard it coming out of S82 (the area, not the particular group) in a match towards the end of last season, maybe even aimed at a City fan?

99.9% of people going to football know exactly what to expect (including the OP I'm sure, he isn't going to be that thin skinned), but the paedo thing appears new and particularly unpleasant. Singing about violence etc has been normal for years and everyone knows it doesn't lead to anything worse, it's just expected.

The biggest trouble is people are always going to look for ways to upset others, and this is just the latest, following a long line of racist and homophobic chanting which has now mercifully been more or less eradicated. Hopefully 'paedo' chanting will go the same way.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, daored said:

It’s good advice , my old man used to say to me I’d hear bad language at the football but under no circumstances was I to repeat it and if I did he wouldn’t  take me. I swore at home a lot during the Pulis tenure 

My dad used to cough loudly at certain points in songs , especially the Gerry Gow, and Over There songs.

15 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

First off, I'm not naive about the behaviour of football fans. Before moving away from Bristol, throughout the 90s, I had a season ticket in the upper part of Dolman block C so was fairly close to the 'excitable' fans and have heard, joined in with and laughed frequently at the songs and general banter that is standard across football.

But yesterday was, for me, a different experience. Now my views will be affected by the fact that I was taking my 7 year old to his first ever football match and I wanted it to be a success.

It wasn't (ok the football didn't help but that's not the issue). I had already warned him that he would hear lots of swearing and I expected to hear all forms and lots of it. Again, not the issue.

Why then did I ( and more importantly my 7 year old) have to listen to at least 25 minutes of foul abuse, singling out a Plymouth fan as a ****ing n*nce, a ****ing p*edo and various other forms of the same abuse. All delivered, as I say, with what seemed like genuine anger. Why?

Even when the target had to relocate because of the abuse and there was a kid left there, apparently crying (according to the bloke next to me), it prompted songs of 'where's your daddy gone?', 'we want our paedo back' etc...

My lad didn't know where to look and when I asked if he was alright he said he was a bit scared. I asked why and he said because of 'all the angry men'.

When did paedophillia become funny?

He heard the terms so many times yesterday that all he wanted to know afterwards was what a 'paedo' and a 'n*nce' were. I dread to think what he'll be saying in the playground tomorrow.

I think you'll find you'll get this extreme and anti social behaviour in all walks of life, especially when you get extremely passionate people together in a group. Be it football, Religious extremists or Political extremists.

You've only got to read some of the studies carried out, about why anti social behaviour happens at football to underline what many already understood.

The self awareness of an individual goes out of the window, when in a group. They feel they can do anything, say anything. Revert to pack mentality.

Acting hard, being as offensive as possible together or in front of others, for some, fills voids in their everyday normal life. 

I just feel sorry for them. To act like it, often means they are compensating for problems they have in their life. A need, a want, something missing etc, etc, etc. They need that ' wanted togetherness' feeling. A misguided ' pride and fullfillment'. 

It's mainly done as a group.

You very rarely see an individual, on his own, with no support or back up behaving anti socially....unless they've got serious social issues.

Sadly football attracts this certain mentality. And has done throughout history. You've only got to look at reports of when we were playing at ST John's lane...fights and anti social behaviour happening even back then and before.

It was often seen as a ' working class' problem...but you've only got to look at Parliament to see that's not true anymore.

As I said in another thread...anti social behaviour is on the rise through all generations and all classes. 

It's hard to avoid it these days.

• Like 3

I don't like the chant but I've been at many away matches when an individual home fan has constantly tried to wind City fans up - and been allowed to by the stewards - in which case they can't complain about a response, which they often revel in.

It's not clear if that was the case at Plymouth.

If it's about the choice of words, and the need to explain them to children, what about 'the w*anker, w*nker, w*anker' chants when an opposition player takes a corner?

What is a w*nker Dad?

What is a 'shithead' Dad, and if Tinman sees a Rovers fan would he really kick him in the head'?

Is the opposition goalkeeper really a 'fat bastard' like those angry men are shouting?

What is a bastard Dad?

Etc.

Football is a uniquely tribal, passionate sport with a unique atmosphere with sometimes pseudo aggressive chants - it's not always going to be a family fun day out.

When you take your child to their first match make sure they are ready - they need to have been told in advance that it will be a completely new and different experience.

There are only 2 likely outcomes - they'll either love the passion around them and the sometimes edgy atmosphere, or they won't.

Very rarely anything in between in my experience.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't like the chant but I've been at many away matches when an individual home fan has constantly tried to wind City fans up - and been allowed to by the stewards - in which case they can't complain about a response, which they often revel in.

It's not clear if that was the case at Plymouth.

If it's about the choice of words, and the need to explain them to children, what about 'the w*anker, w*nker, w*anker' chants when an opposition player takes a corner?

What is a w*nker Dad?

What is a 'shithead' Dad, and if Tinman sees a Rovers fan would he really kick him in the head'?

Is the opposition goalkeeper really a 'fat bastard' like those angry men are shouting?

What is a bastard Dad?

Etc.

Football is a uniquely tribal, passionate sport with a unique atmosphere with sometimes pseudo aggressive chants - it's not always going to be a family fun day out.

When you take your child to their first match make sure they are ready - they need to have been told in advance that it will be a completely new and different experience.

There are only 2 likely outcomes - they'll either love the passion around them and the sometimes edgy atmosphere, or they won't.

Very rarely anything in between in my experience.

This was a girl probably around 8 years old with her family. It was moronic behaviour. Why can't these idiots find something else to do on Saturday's.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I bet if you asked the people singing why they were doing it, they wouldn't be able to tell you.

20 years ago vigilantes attacked the house of a paediatric doctor , forcing her from her home, because they didn't know/understand the difference between a paediatrician and a paedophile.

Those chanting are probably of similar ilk.

• Like 3