IGNORED

Fan behaviour

Jimbo76

Ok so I was there saturday with my two lads 11 and 9. Was also my 9 year olds first away. The 11 year old has been going a few seasons now. Thankfully I got no questions from the 9 year old and just a few giggles from my older lad.  Whilst I pretty much fully agree with the OP my “rules” to my lads are “you’ll hear a lot of things at football that you wouldn’t of heard before, theses are not to be repeated” however I have said to them if you hear anything that you want to ask me about I’d more than happy to explain why it’s bad to use such words. 

Edited by Taunton_BCFC
  • Like 4

Is the wider point though not just about the sons and daughters who go along as City fans and what their parents are happy to tolerate, and not even about verbally abusing a grown adult (and people can have their own thoughts on that) but directing abuse at a young kid and calling her dad a peado?! I mean, that's pretty moronic isn't it?? 

Edited by arrytheb
Spelling
  • Like 7

Having watched City home and away for fifty years, one of the worst away experiences I had was at a pre-season friendly in Portugal in the 2000s. I was genuinely ashamed to have an association with my team that day. Debate at the time followed a similar course to this one: some people decried the behaviour and there were the usual apologists. whether those who don’t condone the behaviour are the ones who indulge in it, we will never know. Unless we all stand up against the truly unacceptable behaviour (and there is general agreement as to where the boundaries lie) and this is backed up by arrests or banning orders, then this will carry on. 
What I do know is that failure to sort it out will put people off from following their team in person at certain games whether they are told to foxtrot Oscar and watch the rugby or not. 

• Like 1

I don't agree with it, but I could just about understand a level of intense passion that's spilled over in a big game, or a derby, but why in a friendly like this?

What was even the context behind this? Just a bloke with his daughter or was he giving some abuse? Again not justifying it, I just can't understand what makes people act this way (other than alchohol and other substances!)

Also can't understand why for many the solution seems to be "go watch a different sport" or just acceptance that it happens. There's banter and then there's this, which is far beyond.

We saw weird behaviour like this in the summer when grown men kept sharing memes of the young german girl crying, absolute oddballs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Not annoyed?

Like racism and fighting used to be, so we should have accepted that as well?

As I said you either accept it or not, did any one of the 650 City fans say anything to these people on Saturday or did they just accept it?

If I was taking my 7 year old to a first football match then it would be a home match as you have a choice where you can sit. So that could be the family section in the upper Lansdown and more than probably not in the corner of the South Stand. At an away match you're in one section so not a lot of choice.

When I did take my Son to his first away match I made a point to clearly warn him that there he will hear inappropriate language and that only happened when I thought he was old enough to not let it affect him.

I would also take the opposition into account so taking him to a Cheltenham or Yeovil is less of a concern than say somewhere like Plymouth where there is a bit of a rivalry.

It's not right and I don't condone it as there are idiots everywhere.

For what it's worth my Son's first away match was Reading at the Majdeski as I considered that to be a "safe" venue.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Swede said:

For what it's worth my Son's first away match was Reading at the Majdeski as I considered that to be a "safe" venue.

Funny isn’t it…that was the ground where Joe felt his most unsafe.  A bunch of nobhead City fans, piss-poor stewarding meant Joe said he’d never go to that one again.

3 hours ago, harrys said:

As I said you either accept it or not, did any one of the 650 City fans say anything to these people on Saturday or did they just accept it?

I wouldn't confront some drunk, potentially coked up, idiots and ask them to stop chanting about peados and nonces. 

You would instantly become a target. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

I wouldn't confront some drunk, potentially coked up, idiots and ask them to stop chanting about peados and nonces. 

You would instantly become a target. 

Well, you're obviously not as hard as a couple on here :rolleyes:

• Haha 5

Our fans and many other football fans are full of absolute weapons unfortunately who don't give a **** about anyone else. Already said it before, seen it at many an away game last season.

By all means make noise and support your club, but don't be a ****

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't like the chant but I've been at many away matches when an individual home fan has constantly tried to wind City fans up - and been allowed to by the stewards - in which case they can't complain about a response, which they often revel in.

It happens at home matches too.

Some years ago, when away fans used to be coralled in a corner of the East End, adjacent to the Williams Stand, we played Cardiff, and they had one particularly obnoxious fan who was constantly jeering and gesticulating at the City fans - behind a large Police cordon, of course.

Unfortunately, said Cardiff fan was particularly fat, and received a constant torrent of abusive chants, frequently highlighting this, and even received the (not too original) name of Porky, resulting in more gestures, more chants in response, throughout the game. 

At full time, my friends and I made our way in to Bedminster, when who should we come across, but Porky, accompanied by what I assume was a minibus group of Cardiff fans.

There was only four or five of us, so we ran away, and I remember us laughing and being so relieved and grateful he was so fat.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Funny isn’t it…that was the ground where Joe felt his most unsafe.  A bunch of nobhead City fans, piss-poor stewarding meant Joe said he’d never go to that one again.

Sorry to hear that Dave. There are always exceptions to the rule. When thinking about an away ground I think of stadium size and state, parking & potential rivalry. So with the Mad Stad its a newer bowl type 25K modern stadium so will have good facilities, lots of parking in the locale and not much rivalry. On the other hand when I think of the old Elm Park in the same context then its a run down old style lower league stadium with terracing so views for children would be restricted as would the facilities, parking would be first come first served street parking & with that always the chance of running into the local scallies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It happens at home matches too.

Some years ago, when away fans used to be coralled in a corner of the East End, adjacent to the Williams Stand, we played Cardiff, and they had one particularly obnoxious fan who was constantly jeering and gesticulating at the City fans - behind a large Police cordon, of course.

Unfortunately, said Cardiff fan was particularly fat, and received a constant torrent of abusive chants, frequently highlighting this, and even received the (not too original) name of Porky, resulting in more gestures, more chants in response, throughout the game. 

At full time, my friends and I made our way in to Bedminster, when who should we come across, but Porky, accompanied by what I assume was a minibus group of Cardiff fans.

There was only four or five of us, so we ran away, and I remember us laughing and being so relieved and grateful he was so fat.

I was in the EE one time next to the Cardiff fans who were just across the walkway in the open bit, with a line of police separating them off from us.

I don't know about Porky, but I do remember the Fatty sat on top of the back wall.

'Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall etc' -  lots of abuse but it was all remarkably good humoured really, so maybe this was another occasion.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was in the EE one time next to the Cardiff fans who were just across the walkway in the open bit, with a line of police separating them off from us.

I don't know about Porky, but I do remember the Fatty sat on top of the back wall.

'Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall etc' -  lots of abuse but it was all remarkably good humoured really, so maybe this was another occasion.

I am pretty sure that would have been the same game - too much of a coincidence not to be.

It may have been good humoured during the game, but I can recall 'Porky' chants in response to his gesticulating, and it was anything but good humoured when we ran in to them after.

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am pretty sure that would have been the same game - too much of a coincidence not to be.

It may have been good humoured during the game, but I can recall 'Porky' chants in response to his gesticulating, and it was anything but good humoured when we ran in to them after.

Yep, I'm sure, and we'd have been very young so if Fatty and his mates were after your lot it was hardly a fair match.

I was amazed at the time no one from either side tried to get at each other despite the police.

The Eastenders had moved across from the middle and the couple of hundred (?) Cardiff fans were only yards away all game as I recall.

The game I'm thinking of would be early 70's, perhaps 73/74?

8 hours ago, stortfordred said:

Having watched City home and away for fifty years, one of the worst away experiences I had was at a pre-season friendly in Portugal in the 2000s. I was genuinely ashamed to have an association with my team that day. Debate at the time followed a similar course to this one: some people decried the behaviour and there were the usual apologists. whether those who don’t condone the behaviour are the ones who indulge in it, we will never know. Unless we all stand up against the truly unacceptable behaviour (and there is general agreement as to where the boundaries lie) and this is backed up by arrests or banning orders, then this will carry on. 
What I do know is that failure to sort it out will put people off from following their team in person at certain games whether they are told to foxtrot Oscar and watch the rugby or not. 

What happened in Portugal that was so bad?

• Hmmm 1

I hate closed season. 

For the record one of the earliest chants I remember was Abervan! Against Cardiff. This one is a bit third rate by comparison. The kids will be fine, it’s the parents that struggle to cope. 

When I asked My old man what that was, he said dunno son and I just ignored it! 

• Like 1